How do "alternate start" mods work? (especially on PS4)

I was surprised to see a PS4 mod which allows an alternate start, since I assumed it would rely heavily on scripting, so I was wondering how they're made.

I suppose there are two main parts I'm interested in- 1. starting the game in a certain location and skipping the usual Skyrim intro, and 2. how to enable the teleport and adding/removal of items when you choose how you want to start.

I'm interested in making my own mod which has nothing to do with the Elder Scrolls universe and Skyrim, so making an alternate start would be the first step.

Thanks!!

My wife was using that with PS4. If I recall correctly, it's a pretty stripped down version that basically lets you avoid Helgen and then puts a few "alt start" equipment chests around certain areas. Nowhere near as many options to start as guild members, guards, etc., just quick start and a chest full of themed supplies.

Yeah, i'm asking how if anyone knows how it works, probably what scripts it's using since PS4 mods can only use the vanilla scripts with modified properties.

I think the only thing I need to know atm is how, upon activating a certain object, you teleport location and have items added and items removed. It's not just a nearby chest.

thanks to the implementation of the mods on the Bethesda site, it's not possible to download the mod directly.

I think it must be a custom quest with dialogue options pointing to x-markers, and a "setstage" on the MQ101 to pass the mainquest intro.

• 1 month later...

thanks to the implementation of the mods on the Bethesda site, it's not possible to download the mod directly.

I think it must be a custom quest with dialogue options pointing to x-markers, and a "setstage" on the MQ101 to pass the mainquest intro.

Yes, I've got somewhere thanks to this page http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/tutorials/article/165-skyrim-original-skyrim-se-alternate-start-mods-how-to-destroy-helgen-and-make-it-look-like-it-should-be-after-alduins-attack/

So basically what I've been able to do with a mod I'm making is have the player start in a new location with absolutely no items, spells or powers. The mod has nothing to do with the world of Skyrim so I'm pretty sure I can just ignore all the Helgen/Quest stuff because it won't be an issue (it's impossible to get to for one thing)

However, what I'm stuck at is figuring out how to add items to the player later.

In the Fast Alternate Start PS4 mod, you start in a room where you make your character and choose powers, vampirism etc, but then later choose where you want to start by activating an item.

Upon activating the item, you're transported to a certain location and will have some items given to your character (e.g. clothes, potions, armor etc).

I'm thinking that the teleportation is either done via a script (either as part of a quest or just a script by itself), or it's an item simply acting as a door.

I'm thinking the items you get is either given by modified scripts via a quest or by standalone scripts. TBH I haven't started playing around with it yet but if anyone here has any idea please let me know!