That's a real good thread there.

I will downgrade from the normal SFO version to the "basic" (but not "lite" yet) and I will scratch the high rez pines (4k x 8K rez those ones have), yes.

I have a real quality rig with 2 x Asus Geforce 670 GTX SLI (4GB VRAM each) and I never ever had problems with all those mods til a certain Skyrim patch. The only idea I have, is that maybe the adding of the official high rez dragonborn.esp was just the tick too much for all the formerly used mod load.

...and to be honest, the official high rez .esp files suck performance without end (much too much in compare to the actual grafical gain)

Btw, I always thought the full resolution textures of Skyrim HD 2k were 2k not 4k, but now I see there is a lite version there, so that makes sense, seems to be really 4k...and you are right thats a real lot for a mod that changes almost whole Skyrim.

Official high res uses a lot of uncompressed textures.... :P

Also, you cannot fill up your 4GB of VRAM, you game will have crashed before that unless you run with Hardware AA and/or on multiple monitors...

Just for the fun of it, I'd suggest you use Skyrim Performance Monitor to check your system load during some games, especially after you had troubles (CTD / Loadscreen) ... then check the resource usage... if the loadscreen hangs and you see something like 2.8GB RAM usage, pretty sure that the application exceeded it's limits... if in outside world you CTD you can see it in more details if resources are a cause because you can see the spike in resources before the crash... it's a must have tool when you start to run heavy texture replacers to find out the limits...

Also if you use uGridsToLoad > 5, reduce that to 5 :P but that should be a no brainer.... gives a lot of room for extra textures and higher resolutions. You can use LOD replacers to give your game better distance looks, which have a much smaller impact on resources and look a lot better. If unsure I can show you an example where there is a missing texture LOD in my game (so it's a vanilla LOD) between the LOD overhaul I use... just gimme a sec to put up a screen :P

Just sitting at work, but I already watched a lot of improvement after performing the following actions:

-deinstalled the high rez pines of SOF and changed to the basic version of SOF.

-deinstalled an ice mod with 4k ice textures and returned to Real Ice and 2k resolution

-changed the papyrus log to your test settings (runs smooth, no SkyUI moaning)

-disabled autosave on fast travel

-deinstalled a lot of Benjamini318 mods (the additional "noise" for 4k textures like carts, farmhouses, doors, tents isn't worth it). I only kept the benjamin318 fire textures (they are really nice), statues of Skyrim and his creature pack for Dragonborn

I kept the following mods for now and further testing:

-Skyrim HD Full (best resolution)

-WATER

-Superior Rock Textures (4k version..I already switched them for Benjamni318 8k (!) rock textures a while ago)

-SMIM

-Ruins Clutter

-Redefined Dungeons WIP

-Bellyaches Creatures and Animals

-aMidianborn Weapons, armors and the new ebony armor mod

-Remodeled Armor

-CBBE Body Textures (I always have 2 followers with me and 4k body textures cause some system pressure too)

-half a dozen mods for clutter like bottles, potions, poisons, food, ore, spiderwebs, dust, window glass etc.

uGridtoLoad 7/64 was an absolute no go since over half a year anyways. I have 5/36 since ages.

The Improvement is that large, that I could check the official high rez .esps again and now only get CTDs while fast traveling to the above posted locations. The infinite loading screen issue vanished almost completely and...I can fast travel to my House Heljarchen Hall again and zone out of that into exterior without any issue.

I will finetune that a bit more. There is still some scope for downgrading (mountains/rocks and if nothing else helps the lite version of Skyrim HD)

and if nothing else helps the lite version of Skyrim HD

I ended up doing just that, as going to 2K textures on rather large objects (like Trees) was a lot more visible than going 2K on landscape surfaces and towns/cities.... not to mention, there's no way I will reduce skin textures on myself or NPCs and all the other very little (but taxing) details like 1K textures for teeth, HD eyeball textures, and so on. I rather have a bit less detailed landscape then people/creatures/objects.

Now I have 2K landscapes and I use some monster textures on objects of my choice.

and if nothing else helps the lite version of Skyrim HD

I ended up doing just that, as going to 2K textures on rather large objects (like Trees) was a lot more visible than going 2K on landscape surfaces and towns/cities.... not to mention, there's no way I will reduce skin textures on myself or NPCs and all the other very little (but taxing) details like 1K textures for teeth, HD eyeball textures, and so on. I rather have a bit less detailed landscape then people/creatures/objects.

Now I have 2K landscapes and I use some monster textures on objects of my choice.

There we are in the same boat. Before I remove any mod that beautifies my female NPCs, I will play a Skyrim with a landscape in Pacman grafic.

Btw, if we speak about rock textures. You mentioned in another thread some which are uncompressed and should not be used, but told no name of that mod...and yes, I would be interested in what rock textures you use on the screenshot, too.

@prod80

What rock texture are you using in that screenshot above? Looks very nice :smile:

this one: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37256/ -- 2K light grey version textures, very very nice... (don't try the 4K version or your system will suffer... really... 20-30MB rocks in there) the 2K version is already more detailed than Skyrim HD 4K version, they are true 2K and not up-scaled versions of the original texture

Depending on your ENB you might wanna pick Dark Grey, or any other... try a few :P they are awesome

Ahh, ok, I already have them, but the light grey 4k version. It's a relative new mod, just a few weeks old and the best rock textures at all in my eyes.

...oh and btw, I succeeded 3 fast travels in a row to Windhelm stables, a 100% CTD spot formerly. Same for Markarth stables.

Now just Dragonbridge and my House near Falkreath let me still CDT if I fast travel there. Besides that I get a 100% CTD if I enter Underkeep (but that's script related I guess, there are other posts here in the forum where people told about the same problem, if they have certain quests active).

I found something out about this CTD spots, they are spots where tree and other LODs "pop in" in masses. In Windhelm I get no CTD while fast traveling, but after appearing there and moving a few steps or just changing the viewing angle I still get a small lag spike, or better a small stutter.