but the light grey 4k version

You gotta watch out with those... Author also writes they may cause CTD/Infinite loadscreens because they are really heavy... I mean serious s#*! heavy. I cant use them either, and I have 4GB VRAM as well.

Well youre getting there :smile:

Im digging into SweetFX, shader files are giving me a headache. ENB/SweetFX are great but so many parameters.

I changed my mountains/rocks to the Superior Rocks 2k Silver Grey version. I have to admit there is almost no difference to realize between the 2k and the 4k version texture- and detailwise, those rocks are such well made, the 2k version is absolutely sufficient. On the other side, using only the basic version of SFO without additional pines makes - as you already mentioned - a big difference. I kept the basic version (this version has less and not so dense grass) but installed additional high rez pines (but only the 4k not the 8k version).

In addition I used

fUpdateBudgetMS=4.8
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=4.8
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000.0 (instead of formerly 1200)
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMinMemoryPageSize=128
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1048576
(instead of formerly only 256k)

and the result is now almost perfect.

I succeeded in a fast travel to my house in Falkreath :-) In one of three fast travels to there, I still get some various violett textures (mostly weapons, or horse armor or torches) or black body textures of my followers, which points still to a VRAM narrowness (the meshes aren't corrupt), but at least I can move around again as I want. One cell zoning into the Falkreath House solves the texture issues anyways. The problem with the Hearthfire houses is, that there are scripted encounters near that houses (giant attacks, bandit attacks, draugr attacks, wolf pack attacks). The script for this will be loaded and takes action while you fast travel to there. This script might be one reason for overload and CTD.

The last spot that causes some headache is Dragonbridge now, but that does not bother me at all, I already finshed all quests and questlines which might lead you to there or start there.

One last question:

What do you think about those two mods:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4834/?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31982/?

Are they a must have or just small improvements and how do they alter performance (especially the LOD one)?

What do you think about those two mods:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4834/?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31982/?

Are they a must have or just small improvements and how do they alter performance (especially the LOD one)?

The distant decal fix is a tiny performance hit (I haven't noticed any significant framerate hit on my GTX 660 GC). It also noticeably improves visuals in some areas, especially around forts and towers. I recommend getting that at least.

The LoD mesh mod is a smaller visual increase with a larger performance drop. It's still not a big performance drop, but I stopped using it because it simply wasn't noticeable enough unless you're looking at the coast.

I'm going to recommend my LoD mod, which has no performance drop. Idk if it's compatible with your LoD textures, but if you want to improve visuals without killing performance it's worth a look.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17984/?

I will give that a try. I see that your mod does not alter only the LODs, it has even an effect like Enhanced Distant Terrain / HD Enhanced Terrain mods in addition.

I use both those mods... they eat away a good piece of RAM tho, especially the High Quality LODs... High Quality LODs will have a few missing LODs, which remain vanilla (see my screenshot above)... I haven't yet figured out why, but I have only found 2 so far - 1 at Dragonbridge and another at Whiterun

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back after some time of downgrading/testing/deinstalling and installing loads of mods.

In the end I did the same like you.

I downgraded Skyrim HD 2k (which does use up to 4k resolution textures in truth) to the lite version, but upgraded SFO from basic to normal (winter) edition again with 4k resolution pines (not the 8k version) and 4k yellow aspen leaves, but deinstalled lush trees again. I could play well again with Skyrim HD full version + SFO basic + lush trees and grass until I stumbled over some more tiny mods I decided them are a must have (especially Sounds of Skyrim all three parts, Dance of Death, a new mod for refractions/transparency for bottles and gems and some more) til I got rare CTDs and some not so rare endless loading screens again (a second load after a Skyrim restart was always successful though) and I realized the 3.1 GB limit issue has me again.

Downgrading Skyrim 2k HD has a bigger effect in decreasing memory load as upgrading SFO to its normal version and the impact of overall immersion is smaller. Not so detailed structures aren't as bad as a nicer vegetation. In addition I have more scope now to try additional mods. As a bonus I now have no CTD or endless loading screen issues at all anymore while fast travelling to certain locations like Dragonbridge and my Hearthfire house near Falkreath (those were a 50% possibilty for CTD/endless loading loops formerly or at least for uncomplete texture loads which resulted in black or violet textures).

As a replacer for Skyrim HD cities the new aMidianborn Whiterun mod is really nice and well made (if he will do that for all cities). Pretty unbelievable what kind of textures he tickled out of ordinary 2k resolution. In times of 3.1 GB limitations modders have to invest some work again to let shine textures at lower resolutions. Just adding some ultra high resolution "noise" isn't it anymore.

• 1 month later...

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000.0 (instead of formerly 1200)

I was getting these infinite load screens after I reset my .ini due to lots of stutter. The stutter went away but then I got these nasty ILS. Once I put the above in the skyrim.ini the ILS went away! So thanks :smile:

This is with a very large but optimized mod list-Skyrim Revisited from the STEP team.

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited#Introduction

Edited by zodden

• 2 months later...

Alright, how to begin explaining this.. I for a long time was plagued with the infinite load screens between maps, quick travel, game load... etc. etc.. Incidentily it hindered my gameplay a lot, but by happen circumstance I figured something out. The HDD in which I dedicated just to my Skyrim that it was stored on, being how my Skyrim directory is over 45 GB's, I run a lot of mods, especially HD content I have pretty much replaced everything in game with 4k or higher textures. My mod list is at least 30-35 items long as well... However my HDD failed. I fortunately was able to salvage my Skyrim..

I purchased a new 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7600 RPM 64MB Cache HDD with a 6GBPS transfer rate. Installed it and migrated over my Skyrim.. I instantly went from infinite load screens to loading in less than 60 seconds.. Quick trip loads average about 45 seconds. Caves, Leaving towns, etc. average about 25 seconds to load. Loading game from main screen takes about 30 seconds. My FPS vastly improved as well. I can run Skyrim on full settings as well now. Unlike before I had to sacrifice to gain perfomance improvment. Also I no longer get in game lags or screen skips, etc..

So unofficialy because who am I to say right, will state that I believe certain HDDs, possibly Western Digital Drives cause a lot of issues with this game. This is just from my experience.

Hopefully this will help some players.

This is an overview of my system specs. For reference purposes. The only difference between then and now is the HDD I was using..

LOGISYS Transparent Clear Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit w/ 24GB Pagefile

AMD Phenom II x4 830 2.8GHZ OC to 3.6GHZ
8 GB's Patriot DDR2 PC8400 RAM

1x SATA Seagate Barracuda 3TB 64MB Cache 7600 RPM 6 GBPS Transfer

(before my upgrade I was using a WD Caviar Green 150 GB Drive, 7200 RPM 32 MB cache with a 3GBPS transfer)

1x SATA WD Green 1TB 32MB Cache 7200 RPM 3 GBPS Transfer Drive
2x IDE WD Caviar 500GB 32MB Cache 7200 RPM 3 GBPS Transfer Drives
2x Lightscribe 24x DVDR/RW

2GB Radeon HD 6670 with total shared memory of 5.8GBs - Overclocked
24" Acer 1920x1080p / 32" Samsung 1920x1080p Dual Monitors

SoundBlaster Audigy Live HD 24Bit w/ Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound

2.5" USB 3.0 Front Bay w/ HD Headset Audio Output
5.25" 16 in 1 Front Bay Multimedia Card Reader
5.25" Front Bay Storage Drawer

650W Black Rhino Power Supply
2X Coolermaster 80MM Blue LED Variable Speed Low Noise Fans
1X Coolermaster 80MM Green LED Low Noise Fan Coupled w/ 1x 80MM Black Coolermaster Low Noise Fan & Heatsink
1X Coolermaster 80MM UV LED Blue and Green Front Mount System Fan
1X Coolermaster Blue LED Lit Ultra Quiet Variable Speed Top Intake Fan

45IfyK7Tan.png

Edited by hubsabubs

• 1 month later...

Im terribly sorry, to have to post in this dinosaur-thread again, but i want to relate to the already written papyrus lines in here. I got a lot of infinite loading screens, so i wanted to edit my sykrim.ini aswell, but turns out that i dont even have most of those lines in papyrus. Mine looks somewhat like this: [Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

should i just add them or what?