Disappearing mods

BrotherShamus

I'm getting to 100 hours in my current play throughs in SSE and FO4 so I would like to do a clean install of both games before building my new LO. The problem is... a lot of my staples are gone from Nexus. I've managed to dig up a few on LL and AFK mods but there are a few that seem to have just disappeared. Having downloaded a fair number of them through Vortex... is there any way to save them to my hard drive before I wipe out my data folders? Also... is there a place where mod authors have posted the new sites to find their mods? If not... there should be! It just seems wrong that they spend all of this time making these amazing mods (that keep these games alive for years) only to have them go poof.

why does it seem wrong that mod authors take down their stuff?

Please let us not go there again.

To the question, mod makers have been told they had 30 days (I think then date is August 5) to remove their mods from the site if they do not with them to be permanently archived to the site. If you have somehow missed the post about that it is here: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

Some mod makers may be taking their things somewhere else, unfortunately it is a case by case basis. You'll just have to do some internet searching or have good luck. Some may decide bot to share the mods anymore.

If you manual download mods you can of course keep them on another drive or a portable drive. As far as keeping anything through Vortex I can't answer that as I do not use it.

If you manual download mods you can of course keep them on another drive or a portable drive. As far as keeping anything through Vortex I can't answer that as I do not use it.

Afaik, even if a mod has been removed from Nexus, it will remain installed in Vortex until such time as you remove it. Unless you pre-download and stash a given archive file, I don't think that'll survive on its own, but as for the contents once installed, they remain. Point in case, I have "Riften Trees Reborn Pink Cherry Blossom" installed, which has been gone from the nexus since mid/late 2019. Mod still works just fine.

Absolutely nothing wrong with mod authors taking them down... it's the condition that is causing them to take them down that I find unfortunate. I feel that the mod authors go to great lengths and work very hard to give us users a way to enjoy the things they create... and that it should be respected by the community (including the people who run this site) but unfortunately, that's apparently not the case. I don't know enough about the changes that are coming to fully discuss them but as I understand it... they are going to lose control of the mods they create and that seems fundamentally wrong to me.

Please let us not go there again.

To the question, mod makers have been told they had 30 days (I think then date is August 5) to remove their mods from the site if they do not with them to be permanently archived to the site. If you have somehow missed the post about that it is here: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

Some mod makers may be taking their things somewhere else, unfortunately it is a case by case basis. You'll just have to do some internet searching or have good luck. Some may decide bot to share the mods anymore.

Thank you for the link! While I do understand what Nexus is trying to do, I also understand why the mod authors are not happy with this. It's unfortunate that there's no middle ground here... but as someone who would benefit from having these collections available (due to my lack of modding skill), I have to side with the mod authors. I think the people at Nexus should try to understand that without the mods they create... there is no community. Also, there are independent curators who provide these collections already. If it ain't broke... don't fix it, you know? This has created a division and unfortunately, in trying to create a better environment for mod users, what Nexus has effectively done is to create a situation where the end result will be worse than before. For me personally... a part of the fun was always trying to piece together my own personal game... even when it frustrated the hell out of me.

Afaik, even if a mod has been removed from Nexus, it will remain installed in Vortex until such time as you remove it. Unless you pre-download and stash a given archive file, I don't think that'll survive on its own, but as for the contents once installed, they remain. Point in case, I have "Riften Trees Reborn Pink Cherry Blossom" installed, which has been gone from the nexus since mid/late 2019. Mod still works just fine.

Thank you! I think the problem I'm having though is that to do a fully 'clean' install... I need to delete the base game as well as the data folder (which contains the modded material) to ensure that any files leftover from my old LO don't show up in my new game, creating possible issues. I don't know enough about the mechanics of Vortex to confidently recompile the parts of the downloaded mods, store them and then re-add them to Vortex manually so that I can do the clean install.

NVM. I have no chit in the ante. mod feel free to remove this post.

It's true... my hope is to have the best modding experience I'm capable of. Again... I don't understand the coming changes to discuss them in an educated way so I'll leave the politics out of this (it was never my intention to do anything here but try to learn how to keep my mods intact). In my perfect world... we'd all be happy and get along. As it stands... I would be content with being able to keep the mods I really enjoy as well as exploring new mods.

Nice Zappa quote btw.