Disappearing mods

BrotherShamus

You could try to copy everything in your Vortex downloads folder to another, archive folder. This should archive the unedited, original versions, AFAIK.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot with a couple of them... uninstall and then reinstall from the archive folder I create to see if it works. I'll post my results here later, in case anyone else is hoping to do the same.

The Vortex Mod Staging folder contains a folder for each download. Pack them in using your favorite archiveing tool 7z, Zip, Rar, etc. and save them somewhere safe.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info... this will save me loads of time!

edit: do I save the actual folder or open the folder and save the contents?

The reason I suggested the vortex download folder is b/c I think that it holds the unaltered, original files (already zipped). If you have made any changes to an installed mod, like from SSEEdit, then those edited versions (and any patches) should reside in the Mod Staging Folder.

If you have made changes, and try to install on a new game, those edits may cause problems...

The reason I suggested the vortex download folder is b/c I think that it holds the unaltered, original files (already zipped). If you have made any changes to an installed mod, like from SSEEdit, then those edited versions (and any patches) should reside in the Mod Staging Folder.

If you have made changes, and try to install on a new game, those edits may cause problems...

Really, the only thing I use SSEEdit for is to make a merged patch. I just can't seem to figure out how to use it in depth (I've watched some tutorials but have a really tough time learning technical stuff). So... are the download folder and staging folder essentially the same, except that the download folder is still zipped and unaltered?

That is my understanding. I took a quick look at the 'details' view in my vortex/downloads folder, and the 'modified' date seemed to be the original d/l date, as I tried to look at a couple of files that I know I made changes for w/SSEEdit.

Maybe go to the Vortex forum, and make sure that I am passing on a correct understanding of this? It would seem to make backing up your mods (not your LO) easier if you could just copy the d/l folder...

CAP for EMPHASIS

The Vortex DOWNLOAD folder has the ARCHIVE of the mod in its original form, that you downloaded from the site. (I.E. RAR ZIP 7Z etc)

The MOD STAGING FOLDER has the EXTRACTED ARCHIVE from the DOWNLOAD Folder in it. (I.E. the actual CONTENTS of the RAR ZIP 7Z etc)

If you want to keep the mods you have downloaded, just back up your DOWNLOADS folder, as it will have all of the SAME FILES YOU DOWNLOADED in it (I.E. RAR ZIP 7Z etc)

CAP for EMPHASIS

The Vortex DOWNLOAD folder has the ARCHIVE of the mod in its original form, that you downloaded from the site. (I.E. RAR ZIP 7Z etc)

The MOD STAGING FOLDER has the EXTRACTED ARCHIVE from the DOWNLOAD Folder in it. (I.E. the actual CONTENTS of the RAR ZIP 7Z etc)

If you want to keep the mods you have downloaded, just back up your DOWNLOADS folder, as it will have all of the SAME FILES YOU DOWNLOADED in it (I.E. RAR ZIP 7Z etc)

Wow... I never imagined it was that simple! So I can literally just make a copy of my downloads folder in my external drive and then I'll have them there at my disposal. I'm almost angry at how much time I've spent over the last few months... re-downloading hundreds of mods to do a 'clean' install for a new LO... hahaha. Of course, I'll always be checking for updates but it's good to know that I won't lose any of the mods that have disappeared from this site. Thank you for the clarification!

You can also try to see if the mods you need are on Bethesda (you mentioned AFK and LL). Also, if the MA hasn't departed Nexus altogether, you can PM them and see if they will be posting their work somewhere you can access it.

You can also try to see if the mods you need are on Bethesda (you mentioned AFK and LL). Also, if the MA hasn't departed Nexus altogether, you can PM them and see if they will be posting their work somewhere you can access it.

I don't download anything from Bethesda... I've heard it can cause issues. Unfortunately, the mods I can't find are ones I hadn't tried yet... so I just have the pages bookmarked and the page just has the 'this mod no longer exists' or whatever... so I don't know whose mods they were.