Issue with first mod

notchigs

Hello! I've just recently decided to start making my own mods but I seem to have run into an issue when trying to add a custom hood to the game, whenever I select the biped model I get a weird blue texture, I then load the game to see what the issue is and when I equip the item my game crashes to desktop, In the folder below I've included the nif files and dds files of my mod, and also a screenshot of what I see when I select the biped model in the geck so hope fully one of you guys could give it a look over and spot something that I couldn't, I compared it to other similar headpieces in nifskope and blender and adjusted mine accordingly but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything, thank you for your time!

- a very new modder

You have a few issues.

You have two Scene Roots. If you were copying and pasting parts to make this, you didn't do it right. You need to end up with a single Scene Root at the top of the nif structure.

Your nif is using a BSFadeNode root. When exporting clothing from Blender, you need to uncheck Use BSFadeNode root on the upper right. This is what is crashing your game.

Before exporting, make sure Fallout 3 is selected, click on Restore Default Settings For Selected Game (lower left), click on Creature and then Skins under Collision Options (top center) and make sure Use BSFadeNode root is not selected. You will need to change the collision options and whether or not Use BSFadeNode root is selected based on what you are exporting. For example, misc items and statics have different collision options and both require Use BSFadeNode root to be selected instead of not selected.

Under BSShaderPPLightingProperty for each mesh, SF_Skinned and SF_Shadow_Map aren't checked. Blender doesn't export these shader flags properly for clothing, so you always need to go into NifSkope afterwards and fix them. Your hood will be invisible in-game if you don't fix them.

You are using an absolute texture path. This will only work on your machine and will break the mod for anyone else. It will also break if you end up moving your steam directory for some reason.

instead of this -> d:\games\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\data\textures\ncrgogglestraphood.dds

use this -> textures\ncrgogglestraphood.dds

You are using the same texture for both the main texture and the normal map. That is going to look weird. You need to create a normal map for the second texture. While you can technically name your normal map anything you want, the common convention is to add _n after the texture name, i.e. textures\ncrgogglestraphood_n.dds