Creation Kit not saving .esp master file info

When making a Plugin, that is a .esp. Which alters .esp Plugins, the Creation Kit, does not save the .esp as a file that is being altered.

Problem Solved... check bottom of description for solution.

Eg...

Swimsuits.esp .......... Main mod .......... .esp plugin file

making a mod that alters the Swimsuit mod, adding armour to it, Perks, Levelled lists, adding it to the world, etc...

Swimsuits KP Edits.esp .......... alters the main mod .......... .esp plugin file

Added Swimsuits.esp to my mods Masters file in FO4Edit. Which works brilliantly, in FO4Edit.

The file works brilliantly, in the Fallout 4 Creation Kit, until you go to save it. Then it deletes the Main .esp as a Master.

Problem... When you save Swimsuits KP Edits.esp, the Creation Kit removes the Swimsuits.esp as a Master.

Then when you load it, all the files are classed as Duplicates, or missing information, instead of Overrides.

=================================================

I found a mod, on the Nexus that fixes it. F4 Creation Kit Fixes, but my Creation Kit doesn't like it. I was wondering, if there is a simple fix, like the Multiple Masters fix.

Problem solved, thanks to the people in this thread.

Solution...

1. Load your mods into FO4Edit, with their dependencies

2. File Header on your mod

Master Files .... Add any files that your mod needs to run

3. Click on every .esp mod, that your mod references

File Header

Record Flags ......... Change to .esm

Do this to all .esp files, I did Swimsuit.esp ............................. Changed to Record Flag .esm

Armorsmith Extended.esp ......... Changed to Record Flag .esm

Save them

4. Go into Creation Kit, do some modding on your Tweaks mod, and save it.

5. Check in FO4Edit, that the Creation Kit has saved your mods Master Files list.

6. When you've finished editing your stuff, remove the False Flags you've added in Step 3, and your mods again. Re-adding them to edit when you need to edit your mod in the Creation Kit, if you have to.

Thanks to all the people in this thread, for their help in solving this long-term problem I've finally solved. :smile:

Edited by Krazyman999

Can you even have .esp as masters? o_O Thought always that this would be impossible if the .esp is not marked as a .esm.

But I can maybe wrong here, since I have always made standalone mods, because I think they are more handy as mods that have a rat-tail on masters behind them. You can pm the mod author of the swim suites and ask him if it would be ok, if you would do that. Merging do you later then with fo4edit, but don't forget to make backups and tests after that and of course if that mod author says no, you have to live with it, or make your own swim suites, if possible.

Edited by taryl80

Can you even have .esp as masters? o_O Thought always that this would be impossible if the .esp is not marked as a .esm.

But I can maybe wrong here, since I have always made standalone mods, because I think they are more handy as mods that have a rat-tail on masters behind them. You can pm the mod author of the swim suites and ask him if it would be ok, if you would do that. Merging do you later then with fo4edit, but don't forget to make backups and tests after that and of course if that mod author says no, you have to live with it, or make your own swim suites, if possible.

I've got it running as a Master already, it's the Creation Kit that isn't saving the .esp as a Master. It works perfectly in FO4Edit, works perfectly in the Creation Kit. But the limitations of the Creation Kit, prevent it saving the original hierachy.

FO4Edit, can also flag Plugins as other types, such as .esp flagged as .esm or .esl. But my Creation Kit doesn't like this either...

There's a mod that fixes it, but my Creation Kit wont work with it. I was wondering if there is an easy fix, like the Multiple Masters fix.

The original mod is also nested, it can't be a Master. It's not the first time I've had to not publish mods, because of this problem.

Normally... I just mod the original mod, and just use it privately. Without publishing it... I was just wondering if there was an easy way around it...

Masters.esm Mod linked to mod below that Main game.esm, Dlc.esm, ArmorKeywords.esm

Plugin.esp Mod linked to Swimsuit mod Armorsmith Extended.esp

Swimsuit mod.esp Swimsuit mod Swimsuit main mod.esp

Swimsuit Tweaks KP.esp Mine My mod.esp

Edited by Krazyman999

ESP stands for Elder Scrolls Plugin file, which can not be a master (according to creation kit), you need to turn it into an ESM (Elder Scrolls Master file)

It runs a .esp as a .esm or .esl fine, it just removes the data when it saves it.

FO4Edit and the Creation Kit run perfectly with a .esp running as a Master whether flagged or not. It just doesn't save it, with the Vanilla Creation Kit set-up...

I think everybody does privat mods.

My first mod was a never released underground jail mod. Just a small cell for Nazeem to have some some... retribution... It still feels good to think on him how he stays there, alone and is babbling from his cloud district. Whoever said that vengeance is bad has never met Nazeem before. My opinion!*

But honestly you should ask then just the mod author of a mod if you can use parts of his mod, for your own mod/s. Sure, his/her answer will also depend on how much you like to use from his mod, but if it is not all and if you aknoweldge to name him/her later in the credits of the mod, the most say yes to it if we talk about things like that.

*Edit: Vengeance will be mine, har har har! :smile:

Edited by taryl80

ESP stands for Elder Scrolls Plugin file, which can not be a master (according to creation kit), you need to turn it into an ESM (Elder Scrolls Master file)

It runs a .esp as a .esm or .esl fine, it just removes the data when it saves it.

FO4Edit and the Creation Kit run perfectly with a .esp running as a Master whether flagged or not. It just doesn't save it, with the Vanilla Creation Kit set-up...

The CK actively removes any ESP from the master list, on save. Correct. That's why I said "can not be a master (according to creation kit)".

Sure, you can edit it with FO4Edit and stuff and get it to work. Just not by adding an ESP as Master using the CK. You'll need to convert it to an ESM for that. (which you can change to ESP again, using FO4Edit, so your patch or whatever will work with the original ESP file in-game)

The Skyrim SE process should work here as well.

Load the Swimsuit mod with all of its parent masters in FO4Edit

Change the header flag in any of the parent masters of the Swimsuit mod to ESM

Change the header flag in the Swimsuit mod to ESM

Save those changes (and remember which ones you had to toggle)

Exit FO4Edit

Load it all in the Creation Kit

Make your changes and save your plugin

Go back to FO4Edit

Change the header flags on the ones you changed earlier back to ESP

Save and exit

Test in game

Repeat the process every time you need to make an edit.

Er, an ESL file can be a master. Why not just use the CK to change Swimsuit.esp to Swimsuit.esl?

If it's because Armorsmith is an ESP, well, it should be an ESM to begin with since it is a primary dependency of a whole slew of mods. Change that one too.

Er, an ESL file can be a master. Why not just use the CK to change Swimsuit.esp to Swimsuit.esl?

If it's because Armorsmith is an ESP, well, it should be an ESM to begin with since it is a primary dependency of a whole slew of mods. Change that one too.

Yes, however... this is about creating a patch for an existing mod. A mod distributed as an ESP. Who creates the patch does not control the 'master'.

To create the patch, the one doing it, should convert his/her copy to an .ESM & then create his patch.

When done and ready to distribute the patch, he/she should use xedit to rename the ESM back to ESP within his mods masters list, to make it work with the 'official' version of the mod to patch.

I can confirm the above method by IsharaMeradin is correct and works for fo4.