Publishing a mod that has been made for a different language?

Good evening everybody!

I am using a non-english version of FO4. (I know, it's weird. Don't ask ...)

Apparently when the developers made translations for the different languages, they also translated some things that are never really seen by the "user".

For example, the "Workshop Parent" quest.

They translated the name of that quest.

So, if I have made a mod that references that quest, will it work on a different language version of FO4?

Internally it all works with Form-IDs, right?

So it shouldn't matter what the quest is actually named, right?

I don't want to pusblish anything that might mess up everybodys game (or just not work at all) ...

The best thing would probably be to just install the english language version of FO4, then remake the mod and publish that.

But that would take me a few hours (re-downloading FO4 again), I have a very slow internet connection ...

I would think that things are looking for the ID, not the name, so it should be language agnostic. I mean doing that would be a hell of a lot easier than writing a completely different version of the game and CK for every language in the world.

Publish the mod and ask someone with the English version of FO4 to test it. If it doesn't work you can always archive the file ('cause Nexus won't allow you to delete anything anymore, since apparently all your base are belong to them.)

Wow, I didn't know that mod authors can't delete things any more ...

That is scary ....

But no, the CK itself is not translated, it is still in english (as all things should be), just things like questnames, dialouge, ...

(But most of the stuff still shows up in english in the CK, so it is kind of weird ...)

Changing the name of something doesn't change the ID though. You can go change the name of Out of Time to "f*#@ Off Preston" and it won't matter, as long as you don't change the ID. The name is a separate value agnostic of the actual quest/script/etc.

Hello there,

I am pretty sure all the Bethesda .esm files are in English, and local language text loads as overrides in game (they should be in "Strings" folder in the Main.ba2). Your .esp will be in whatever language you write in, but CK will always load in English.

You don't need to install the English version of game and remake your mod, in other words. :smile:

Hello there,

I am pretty sure all the Bethesda .esm files are in English, and local language text loads as overrides in game (they should be in "Strings" folder in the Main.ba2). Your .esp will be in whatever language you write in, but CK will always load in English.

You don't need to install the English version of game and remake your mod, in other words. :smile:

When I had a look at my ESP with xEdit, some of the quest names were in my langauge, no in english.

So does xEdit also load those "string translation files" ?

When I had a look at my ESP with xEdit, some of the quest names were in my langauge, no in english.

So does xEdit also load those "string translation files" ?

That's strange - the local strings shouldn't come up in xEdit. I used to work with the French version of Fallout 4, and the Bethesda ESM were all in English. I don't know what is going on there...

So xEdit does load the local language strings then. Looks like I remembered it wrong - I'm sorry about that. It's been some time since I've switched to English version here.

It's odd that the local language strings exist for these texts that won't even show in game, like you said. Hopefully someone with a better insight would chime in.

I have made hundrets of translations for Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and Fallout 4* and something what I learned already with Olivion was, that it can lead to all kinds of bugs, even sometimes ctds, if one changes the names of things, that the player can't see anyways. Especially in older games of Bethesda (the newer, the more error resistend are the games towards translator errors imo).

So, tl:dr things that the player can't see should never be translated (its also in favor for the translator, since he needs less to translate), but referencing alone something does nothing to files of a english version.

If you change the name of an npc to german, or the name of a mod-quest to german does nothing, as long as you not rename the script name itself.

Thats from the perspective of a translator to it.

Edit*: Most of them were just not even worth the upload since they were just for standard followers, or armor pieces.

Edited by taryl80