Weapon Transparency in ENB Series mods

robedias27

I noticed it on the loading screen first, and I searched ENB series forums for the answer...but to no avail.

It turns out that with the Project Reality ENB Series mod; Climates of Tamriel...whenever my character is in a shadow...my weapon becomes somewhat transparent. This does not happen when I'm in the sunlight...and from what I read on their site, it's a problem with SSAO (Ambient Occlusion).

So I edited the ENB config file to turn SSAO off, and it fixed the problem...however, with ENB, SSAO is necessary to make the game look so good. With it turned off, I might as well just uninstall the mod.

My question is, with any of you other ENB users, is this the case across the board with ENB mods? or is it just with project reality? I wouldn't mind using another ENB series mod if it would fix this problem. If not, I'll just go back to vanilla. (I know...the transparent weapon thing really bugs me)

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Robedias27

2 solutions;

1-

Disable ENB detailed shadows sometimes seems to fix it

2-

Remove this line from your skyrim.ini, or tweak it until resolved

[Display]
fNear1stPersonDistance=0.0000

It's something wacky happening with SSAO + Shadows...

Thanks, I tried your first solution, and it worked...sort of. It's now only transparent when i'm too close to a wall, as if the sword were (if it were actually 3D) clipping through the wall. Then it's transparent.

On to my next question, because you seem to be quite knowledgeable... As I exit Whiterun...the mountains in the background seem to flicker as I look around. I can see something is trying to apply a texture to the mountain range...but it's like the texture can't keep up as I look around. Is that ENB?

(I gotta go to work, otherwise I'd change the other solution you mentioned and try that out, thanks for your knowledge)

Edited by robedias27

1) Thanks, I tried your first solution, and it worked...sort of. It's now only transparent when i'm too close to a wall, as if the sword were (if it were actually 3D) clipping through the wall. Then it's transparent.

2) On to my next question, because you seem to be quite knowledgeable... As I exit Whiterun...the mountains in the background seem to flicker as I look around. I can see something is trying to apply a texture to the mountain range...but it's like the texture can't keep up as I look around. Is that ENB?

(I gotta go to work, otherwise I'd change the other solution you mentioned and try that out, thanks for your knowledge)

1- yea this is something that all ENB's have, not much you can do about it... Do check your game's Skyrim.ini for fNear1stPersonDistance

2- that's called z-fighting. There's no real solution for that either... I have the same... however if you have Dynamic snow installed, it does seem to increase z-fighting when combined with a 4K snow texture.. There's some "solutions" for it involving block distance tweaks combined with ugridstoload, but those settings may cause other problems (instability, CTD, load screen hanging) in about every other location in Skyrim - just to fix some z-fighting on mountains near Whiterun... so, up to you... here's a link if you wish to try: http://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=251 ... take care, make a backup of your save game on which you wish to try it and keep a backup of all the ini files you are going to edit!

I've noticed through research, that this isn't necessarily an ENB problem...it's present in vanilla skyrim?

True? False?

That's right... z-fighting is a problem of vanilla skyrim as well. Some mods can make it worse though... Snow shaders especially. But also weather mods because they mostly push the fog back making the z-fighting more obvious.

I was able to fix transparency issues with Project ENB (transparent walls and sun rays shining through objects) by changing a line in the enbseries.ini

the line was something like "ForceFakeVideoCard"... I changed it from "ForceFakeVideoCard=false" to "ForceFakeVideoCard=true"

I haven't noticed any negative effects after doing this and now the game looks great.

The enbseries.ini file is located in the same Skyrim folder thatt TESV.exe is in...

Edited by TheMoonJumper

• 7 months later...

i had the same problem after a few new mods and tweaks.

and I find out that the problem was with the Anisotropic Filter being turned off. once I turned it up, everything came back to the way it was.

• 1 year later...

if you are having issues with shadows' low resolution persistence over the other variables try:

iActorShadowCountInt=4 ;raising it to 256 or between 256 and 4 -interior shadow amount in a shadowy area

iActorShadowCountExt=2 ;raising it to 128 or between 128 and 2 -exterior shadow amount in a shadowy area