premium - what you really would pay for

Kentarion

faster speed is nice, but most of the time i'm not in a hurry.

what i really wish for would be an online storage of all the game mods i installed.

everytime i switch computer or buy a new pc/laptop - or just simply reinstall a game/vortex i dont want to work thru all the games and mods i had.

would be nice to have a 'subscription' like i actually have in steam.

:)

faster speed is nice, but most of the time i'm not in a hurry.

what i really wish for would be an online storage of all the game mods i installed.

everytime i switch computer or buy a new pc/laptop - or just simply reinstall a game/vortex i dont want to work thru all the games and mods i had.

would be nice to have a 'subscription' like i actually have in steam.

:smile:

Or you could just copy over the Mod Archives (7z, rar, zip etc) from your DOWNLOAD folder to your new computer, by copying them to a thumb drive and transferring them to your new DOWNLOAD folder and saving yourself the download time and bandwidth

You could also backup your mods to google drive, or OneDrive as well.

I still have Mods from 2008 on my older drives

One of the first things I do, when moving to a new computer, or replacing a drive is, I ask myself, "What stuff on this old Computer or drive, do I want to be on the new Computer, or drive?"

Then, I back up all of that stuff, to an external hard drive, or thumb drive, so I can just transfer it over to the new computer/drive without all of the hassle of hunting down, and redownloading everything I left on the old computer.

I admit, I'm old school enough (or maybe just old enough... now get off my lawn!) that I don't trust cloud storage. If it's not on my drives or burned to a disc, it's not under my control, and that means it could go away at any time (a lesson I learned the VERY hard way back during my MUDding days when the service I was using for MUD hosting suddenly went out of business, and have seen more recently when "purchased" digital versions of movies disappear from the streaming site because of changes in licensing). I figure why take chances? If I download a mod (or a font or a texture or whatever if it's something I care about enough to archive), the downloaded file goes on my external storage drive. Then I can reinstall it any time I want, quick and easy. Even if I don't have an internet connection.

As to the original question, I paid for Premium long ago, to 1) get rid of ads forever, 2) get the bennies that went with it, and 3) support the site. But that was when you could get a lifer sub. These days I don't think I'd become or stay a Premium subscriber if I didn't have it, especially if something else (supporter status, ad blocker, whatever) got rid of the ads. Mod packs/Collections does nothing for me, as I'm picky about my mods and only want to install the mods I want, and not what some rando thinks I should have packaged with the mods I want. I'll happily look at a list to see if there's stuff out there I missed that I'd want, but I'm never going to use press-button-to-install-them-all functionality. Increased speeds and such are nice, but I only need that when I'm getting something new, and that doesn't happen often enough for me to justify an ongoing monthly sub, especially at the new price point. And since I no longer have the same high opinion of the site, feeling good because I'm supporting the site isn't really a priority anymore.

So, I can't think of anything that under the current structure would actually convince me to get an ongoing Premium subscription if I did not already have it.

I have a mod download folder that dates back to 2013 when I started with Skyrim mods. It has transferred to Windows 10 and a new machine with no problems. I don't need mod lists or mod packs since I like to customise my own Skyrim experience.

The only thing I'd pay for a premium membership for is the luxury of having every single mod centralised in one site, but I guess that's impossible now.

What you describe sounds like one of the intended features of the upcoming Collections feature. You'd be able to create a Collection of your mod setup and download it to another computer or reinstall it whenever you want.

Data transfer speeds from an external drive are orders of magnitude faster than download speeds.

If you already had to go through the slower download speeds once to get the mod the first time why would you willingly crawl instead of run on subsequent installs (on a new machine or even your current machine)?

What you describe sounds like one of the intended features of the upcoming Collections feature. You'd be able to create a Collection of your mod setup and download it to another computer or reinstall it whenever you want.

Data transfer speeds from an external drive are orders of magnitude faster than download speeds.

If you already had to go through the slower download speeds once to get the mod the first time why would you willingly crawl instead of run on subsequent installs (on a new machine or even your current machine)?

I don't know, because that's what the OP said they were looking for? Because backing up mods for dozens of games means using up hundreds of gigabytes of space that could be used for other purposes? Because you won't do it that often and your computer can do it overnight while you sleep and you won't care if it takes eight hours?

Why the insistence that what someone else is looking for is inherently without merit?

Because backing up mods for dozens of games means using up hundreds of gigabytes of space that could be used for other purposes?

Â

you do realise, don't you, that storage is not finite and you can add as much additional storage as you want to your system?

The more you post, the more limited your knowledge appears. Another thread needs you to derail it. I'll post the details in your Pipboy!

External hard drives are about $20-$25/terabyte right now on Amazon. It'll be even cheaper in November. Seems like a more reliable and cost-effective investment than a multi-month sub if the only reason for the sub is backing up your mod downloads.

External hard drives are about $20-$25/terabyte right now on Amazon. It'll be even cheaper in November. Seems like a more reliable and cost-effective investment than a multi-month sub if the only reason for the sub is backing up your mod downloads.

Not if you buy lifetime in the next couple of days. Or if you only subscribe for one month whenever you need the plan. Or if you want any of the other benefits of going Premium.

Or, if you aren't in a hurry (as the OP said), you can do it for free. Regardless, the OP mentioned a feature they would like to see and that feature is actually on offer soon. Whether or not they choose that option or another one is up to them.