⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

GECK crashes on facegen or when rendering locations

RuinedTail

I can write scripts, edit items, and remove objects from cells, but anytime I try something that requires rendering the GECK crashes. Can anybody help me?

This is the error I get before it dies:

Assert

File:C:\projects\fallout3PC\BSShader\BSShaderManager.cpp

Line:1996

Edited by RuinedTail

Turns out I can see creatures, and open DLC locations in the render window. I'm thinking maybe I'm in an "Oblivion-Shivering Isles" situation where I might need to unpack the BSA to see anything in the GECK. Very helpful suggestions fellas, dunno what I'd do without this brain-trust. Brain-Thrust on 3!

One

Two

Thr-

Edited by RuinedTail

Haven't checked if it solved my gun problem, but it does let me load NPCs "full body" and use the render window without it crashing

1) Find your GECKCustom.ini, if it's not in the same folder as the GECK then check Documents/MyGames/Fallout3

2) Make a copy of your original ini and put it somewhere safe

3) Edit the ini you plan on using by setting bUseFaceGenHeads= to 0.

Like the setting implies NPC heads won't load in the GECK, but since it loads and I now have access to everything but facegen and weapons, I see this as an absolute win. It also tells me the problem is with NPC faces, which makes sense since I could render empty cells or ones with creatures but no NPCs.

I also updated the Fallout3.exe and GECK, but that didn't do anything besides add some lag to the GECK when it loads now. If anyone finds this through google, try the ini edit first. There's probably a reason you want an up to date GECK and Fallout.exe, but if you're already pissed at the GECK you're not gonna want it to load slower while you're troubleshooting. Tbh I regret updating at all, but there's probably some overly complicated mod I won't install that needs it.

Once again, I couldn't do this without you guys. Thanks for the love and replies, where would I be without y'all

Edited by RuinedTail

I got one last Assert File:C:\projects\fallout 3\BSShader\BSShaderManager.cpp Line:1996 error message that mentioned something like "caucasionhand.dd.shaderbbl" not loading, or self generating, and now I can edit weapons without a freeze and subsequent CTD. Error warning hasn't show up since, and I can still edit weapons. Dunno what that pop up has to do with the bUseFaceGenHead setting, but the main issue seems related to wherever or however the GECK pulls face data.

I think we can make this work boys. Your feedback keeps me going, I might've given up without the comments

Edited by RuinedTail