Troubleshooting and Saving Buildings

TarvinDracken

I'm having a lot of trouble with my game crashing at random and have a few things I want to do to make troubleshooting easier.

First, is it possible to save buildings as prefabs? I only have three that I want to keep as I didn't get very far in the game before everything started crashing, but I still put a lot of work into the buildings themselves. With a bit of tweaking, I think they may even be worthy of being shared. I know snap-and-build and homemaker are safe to use together (and the ones I use the most).

Second, what steps do i need to take to wipe out everything so I can start from scratch to ensure I avoid any conflicting mods?

Third, are there any good mod recommendations for extensive building mods that are proven to play nice together? I'm tired of banging my head against my keyboard (figuratively). This isn't the first time I've had to restart due to crashing and I'd like to avoid it happening again.

Alternatively, if anyone knows an easy way to troubleshoot what is already there, I wouldn't mind NOT restarting a third (or fourth) time.

1. You can create static collections of the buildings you create within the Creation Kit. You can also create an entire blueprint of your settlement using a mod.

2. Remove everything and reinstall. Clean install, clean save game. After reinstalling, read #3 below before installing mods.

3. If you are going to mod, you will need to learn how to troubleshoot. See the thread (sticky) titled "Ten rules to get a mod setup with a lot of workshop & crafting mods to work."

You can use Clipboard to save your buildings, and Transfer Settlements to save an entire settlement.

In addition to Snap-n-Build and Homemaker I primarily use Snappy and Settlement Objects Expanded (SOE). HZS Easy Homebuilder has some nice pre-fabs with good navmeshes. You may want to install Settlement Menu Manager and then any patches you can find for your other build mods, it can help keep things organized somewhat.

Vortex has a "Purge Mods" button that is supposed to clean all the mod data out, but there are mods that are, for some reason, resistant to removal. Also removing the mod doesn't necessarily remove any INI files they create, and those can be a major problem, as many of them hard code things they shouldn't, like save game paths. For a clean start you'd probably be best off disabling all your mods, delete all the contents of the Data folder, then have Steam verify local files so it downloads all the vanilla stuff you just deleted. You can then reinstall mods one by one.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my go to list for settlements in no particular order:

1. Farming Resources Icon file with the optional ESP

2. Kraggles Structures (piers, ground)

3. Creative Gardens (with a season add-on)

4. Build your own bridges

5. Xnjguy Filled Mods ALL in One

6. Crafting Fury 9000 GTX

7. Renovated Furniture
8. Northland Diggers

9. hzy-newfurniture v1.6

10. Crimsomrider's Unique Furniture - DLC EDITION

11. Bright Lights Big City

12. Immersive Teleportation (I use it just for supply lines)

13. V's Stylish Decor

14. Realistic Bar Items

15. Warehouse Extension (clean edition also(

16. Wooden Prefabs (don;t use it as much as I did before)

17. HZS Easy Homebuilder and Working Double Beds v3.2

18. [PC] CREAtive Clutter - All DLC

19. Very Small Generators (100)

20. Vault-Tec's AROD Water Purifier - Version 1 - ESP

21. Settlement Electricity Overhaul (wireless settlements - almost)

22. Invisible wires

23. Unicorn Farts and Godrays - Main File

24. Art Connoisseur System - ACS Paintings - 2.03 (need to add standalone paintings to liven your settlement up)

25. Settlement Menu Manager

26. Invisible Furniture (idle markers and navmesh)

27. No agro impact landing

28. Crafting highlight fix

29 Faster Terminal displays

30. Clipboard Resurrection (great for copying individual buildings)

31. Settlement Objects Expanded (SOE)

32. Rain be gone (works with SOE - no rain in buildings)

33. OC Decorator (may be getting rid of this one)

34. Immersive Vendors

35. Homemaker\

36. Fixed Colonial Lampposts V1.01 - Homemaker Req.\

37. Atom Bomb Pinups (see #24)

38. It's Furniture

39. Not your average Neon

40. 155mm Howitzer M1 - 4K - 2.0

41. Angry Artillery 1.1

42. Advanced Settlement Turret Set - All in One Installer Complete Version

43. Advanced Recruitment Beacon - ARB

44. All Settlements Extended - Complete ASE 2.0.2

45. Auto Doors

46. Better Cooking Stations v2.0 Far Harbor plus Nuka World patch

41. Better Cooking Stations

42. Better Settlers v2.0 DLC Master FOMOD

43. CatDeco Floors

44. Clean Barns Painted

45. Clean shacks (with compatibility parches)

46. Clean Warehouses

47. Craftable Institute Elevator - Mark VI

48. Clean Snap'n Build - CS SnB 1.9

49. Experiments Unleashed - All Vault 88 Experimental Furniture Unlocker

50. Filled Brahmin Feed and Water Troughs v1.2.0

51. GruffyddSandP4.01a

52. HZS_NavMeshFixer_1.2

53. MFWP - Mass Fusion Wonder Power v1.2

54. Move That Workbench

55. Paintings Give Happiness

56. Place Everywhere - Place (Fallout4 1.10.163 - latest release)

57. Prefabs

58. Settlement Management Software V2 - 2.05

59. Settler Sanbox Overhaul 4.0 ESL Version

60. Snap'n Build 2.0

61. Workshop Framework

62. Workshop Rearranged

63. Craftable Institute Elevator - Mark VI

64. CWSS Redux v3 - Craftable Working Showers Sinks Baths Toilets Urinals Kitchens etc - CWSS Redux

I have plenty more, some that increase how much you can build, crop management etc. These can be tricky.

Some of the above have been removed by the Mod authors. Some are available on Discord or Bethesda there are a few mod authors that are looking at creating their own website to upload mods due to recent Nexus rule changes/enforcements.

I have around 100 mods just for settlement building, another 15 or so to deal with settlers as well as attacks on settlements.

To get a stable modded game takes patience and a long time. Add one mod at a time, play and see if you have problems. That is not 100% guaranteed because issues can build up over time the more mods you have, but I have had luck with the above-mods with very rare crashes while building (now I have jinxed myself dammit).

Transfer Settlements is also cool in that once you have a stable and working settlement blueprint, you can use it over again in other playthroughs and share it with the community. I have several blueprints but I have not shared them yet as I need to test them thoroughly. You can see some of my work under pictures I have posted.

Finally, learn xEdit and thoroughly read mod descriptions and posts. There is a lot of info in those posts that people miss that could save them a lot of head on keyboard banging.

Good luck.

Warehouse Extension is awsome, especially with the clean addons! Once I found it I discovered I could build a bunch of stuff I wanted that just wasn't possible with the vanilla warehouse parts. Plus it has all the railroad (as in trains, not the faction) pieces you could want.

Warehouse Extension is awsome, especially with the clean addons! Once I found it I discovered I could build a bunch of stuff I wanted that just wasn't possible with the vanilla warehouse parts. Plus it has all the railroad (as in trains, not the faction) pieces you could want.

I agree. I also particularly love the set dressing category. When I add a water system, I use the pipes to run to my settlement (or into the ground to simulate that the pipes are going into the settlement. I use the rest of the set dressing to create basically a water station where the settlement can sell water to traders etc. With the mod Kraggles Structures (piers, ground), I basically create this wharf with machinery and areas to store water for selling. It was always bothered me that in the base game you set up a water purifier in a river or lake and then there is water all over the settlement, so this fixes that (wells and water pumps are the exception).