MCM Settings Save Mod for new playthroughs

Tristamid

Survey  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would you download/endorse this mod?

• Yes
    • No

I start new character all the time, and I hate having to reinput the settings for mods over and over at the beginning of games. Going through all my MCM menus can take well over 20 minutes alone. A mod that could save and load MCM settings at the click of a button would make things go a lot smoother.

• 4 months later...

It is not about hardware/software performance/stability. It is about not having to reset mods settings over and over again for every single new game started.

I always have the same config in MCM. Reseting it every time (sometimes couple times a day due mod testing) is very inconvenient.

I don't think this is technically possible without SkyUI adding support for ini files or something similar, and the main developer of SkyUI has stopped working on it, so such an update is unlikely.

It is not very good information, I must say.

It's true though, adding is is technically not feasible, for several reasons. MCM is mostly stateless, and overall that allows for a flexible and robust design. This means that storing the state is up the mods. In theory, persistent state could be accomplished by

1) keeping the current MCM design and adding a SKSE API for storing data between different game sessions. That makes it each mods' job to persist its data.

2) redesigning MCM to store all data? I don't know... my initial reflex is to run :smile:

In any case, both solutions would require all current MCM menus to be rewritten.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure if anyone here has seen this mod: FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script - FISS. It apparently adds the ability for mods to save game to a file, so they could read that information as well. It would allow this kind of thing... kind of. It might be possible to make a script using it which could save MCM settings for at least the more common mods (because each mod would have to be targeted specifically). Wouldn't be able to do all mods, but assuming this works well, you might ask your favorite mod authors who are still updating their mods if they'd be interested in using implementing it. If at least my mods with lots of settings used it, it would certainly shorten my new game setup time.

Edited by Xander9009

• 3 years later...

Totally agree I am running a ton of overhaul and Immersion mods that take around 20 minutes to set up, Frostfall has a profile save which is included in my load order but I have others like Wildcat and Immersive armors ect that take more time to setup. Funny thing is i googled MCM setting save and this was the first link

Well, for Wildcat, at least, EnaiSiaion tends to be relatively open to suggestions. If you ask him about it, he might be willing to add a setting-save feature. Though, I'm not sure if he'd want to use FISS or go a different route. (I ended up taking a different route for the mods I made. FISS had a couple of issues I didn't like.)