Playing Tes3MP breaks my steam installation.

KhajiitStealth

I like playing Tes3MP, but I prefer the original game for singleplayer. Whenever I play Tes3MP, my singleplayer installation becomes unusable. My .ini file's settings get all messed up, my settings for MGE XE change, and any save that I had causes the game to freeze or crash when I try to load it. The only solution I have found is to completely reinstall my game and all my mods.

Why not just back up your INI file for Tes3MP, and then back up your INI file for when you play single player, and replace them accordingly?

You know exactly what's getting changed, so why are you reinstalling everything and reinstalling your mods, when you know that just the INI file and your MGE XE settings are changed?

Just backup up your INI file and restore it for whichever mod you're playing in, and just re-run MGE XE each time.

Reinstalling everything is the HARD WAY to do things, especailly when you know the cause, and what is actually changed

I guess I should go into a bit more detail.

Before I made this post, I did a test to make sure that it was Tes3MP breaking my installation. After I had reinstalled everything (oof), I first launched the game from steam and loaded into a save I had. Everything worked fine, the game loaded as normal. I then backed up my .ini file to another folder and launched and played Tes3MP for a while. I loaded the backed-up .ini file, and went back to my Steam installation to attempt to load the save. The game froze while "Initializing Data" and then crashed after a while.

You know exactly what's getting changed, so why are you reinstalling everything and reinstalling your mods, when you know that just the INI file and your MGE XE settings are changed?

Yes, I know that my .ini file and MGE XE settings are being changed, and those are easy to restore. But clearly, something else is changing that makes it impossible to load my save games, because when I restore my .ini file and MGE XE settings, the issue persists.

I guess I should go into a bit more detail.

Before I made this post, I did a test to make sure that it was Tes3MP breaking my installation. After I had reinstalled everything (oof), I first launched the game from steam and loaded into a save I had. Everything worked fine, the game loaded as normal. I then backed up my .ini file to another folder and launched and played Tes3MP for a while. I loaded the backed-up .ini file, and went back to my Steam installation to attempt to load the save. The game froze while "Initializing Data" and then crashed after a while.

Yes, I know that my .ini file and MGE XE settings are being changed, and those are easy to restore. But clearly, something else is changing that makes it impossible to load my save games, because when I restore my .ini file and MGE XE settings, the issue persists.

The problem is, is that you're playing your game as Multiplayer, and then trying to load the multiplayer game in a single player game, if I get what you're saying.

You need to have two sets of save games.

A Multiplayer save, and a single player save, you can't use the same save between Multiplayer and single player

OK thanks for the detail.

Hmmm, OK Tes3MP is for OpemMW correct?

So why not install Regular Morrowind and play single player on that, and play Tes3MP on OpenMW?

That's what I'm doing. You can't play Tes3MP on the original engine.

So you're playing Regular Morrowind installed separately from OpenMW as single player, and you installed OpenMW for Tes3MP, but somehow OpenMW is messing up your single player Morrowind install?

Am I finally understanding this?

But IIRC OpenMW needs access to the regular Morrowind to use it's files, correct?

If so, what if you just copied the morrowind directory to a new directory and pointed openMW at the COPY so it will leave your original install alone?