Exterior Fog and dust causing annoying lag.

Paladin555

For the past few weeks I've been frustrated with my old laptop trying to run Skyrim with decent fps and graphics. So far I'm finally getting it to run more smoothly.Only problem I'm having now is with the dust and mist on top of lakes and rivers. It's ridiculous how quick my fps drops just by looking at them. It's gotten to the point where I try my best to avoid Whiterun Hold and that area south of Windhelm. I tried everything and searched all over the internet only to find out no one is really talking about exterior mist. I played around with everything in both ini files and that white mist is there. If someone could please help me out I would be most grateful.

Edited by Paladin555

Revamped exterior fog only pushes back static fog, it's more like haze than anything. Paladin is talking about the fog/mist plates that are just over water sources.

You could try reducing the particles in your prefs ini--

[Particles]
iMaxDesired=40

is what I use--I still get fog, rain, mist,etc., but it definitely decreases the load. You might try playing around with it to find what works with you.

If you don't see any change at all, it may be that you have a mod that overwrites this.

• 7 months later...