Vanilla Oblivion Crashes on Startup

My Issue

Hello, I am Cero. I have recently started to get tired of Skyrim and The Last of Us. So while waiting for the newest DLC to drop for The Last of Us; I decided to play Oblivion for old times sake. I have used this app from GameStop powered by ImpulseDriven that allows you to play games. You download them to your computer and play. Simple, no? However I have encountered a small problem upon launching Oblivion. I have no mods installed. Knights of the Nine, and Shivering Isles are installed with the game by default. When ever I click the launch the actual game I can see the Bethesda Soft logo/intro. next thing I know screen goes black then exits the program completely, and I am back to my desktop. If anyone is willing to help with tips, or actual tech support for this that would be great.

Additional Information

I have a satisfactory system for this game. CanIRunIt.com passed it, and other members of nexus said my system should have no problem running this game.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the game twice with no such success as to fixing my problem. Again any tips or information would be extraordinary and welcomed.

There was a tendency for new installations of Oblivion to abort because the installer failed to create the necessary files and folders in Documents. Open Windows Explorer at \My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\. There should be and 'oblivion.ini' file and a 'Saves' folder. If they are not there, create the Saves folder manually, then go to your installation folder and copy Oblivion_default.ini. Paste that file into your \Documents\My Games\Oblivion\ folder and rename it to Oblivion.ini, then restart the game from the OblivionLauncher.exe (important!) to set your hardware in the ini file.

This Topic needs to be closed I have gotten the game to work.

It would be nice if you said how, and if the advice given helped or not.

• 1 year later...

This Topic needs to be closed I have gotten the game to work.

It would be nice if you said how, and if the advice given helped or not.

Yeah, especially for people like me who are having the same problem. My saves and ini folder are however there and i don't even get to see the the full logo though it does start to be visible. I tried validating the integrity, although there was a whopping 116 files missing from a clean install (smh bethesda and valve) it still does the same thing

Edited by gluumba

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...