Terminology is so key.

Yeah, especially in the more esoteric fields/aspects of fallout

Found this 3 minute video on "Shape Key" in Blender 2.49b. There was a one minute video covering the basics using a later version. Both make "shape key" animation seem relatively easy. Also a 5 minute silent video on doing the same with "cloth" in Blender 2.5.

Hope they help.

-Dubious-

Thanks I'll try to peruse them shortly and maybe they will help me, or another, more capable soul.

I know next to nothing about the 'skeletons' in this game, but couldn't extra bones be attached from the waist of the skeleton which hang freely, and then the duster be applied to those bones so the mesh would flow rather than follow the legs?

I know next to nothing about the 'skeletons' in this game, but couldn't extra bones be attached from the waist of the skeleton which hang freely, and then the duster be applied to those bones so the mesh would flow rather than follow the legs?

Yeah, you could, but it comes with problems that would probably (practically) preclude it. For example you would have a new custom skeleton that is not compatible with other custom (or the stock) skeletons, and everyone that uses the "characters" folder will have to use it (player, npc humans, civilized ghouls), which could be problematic in many aspects. I think making a new skeleton might be an advanced project (even if it's a few extra bones) unless your pretty familiar with the process.

It's not animated if your simply rigging it (and rigging it may be problematic). You'd probably be much better off rigging it and weighting it by hand to existing bones if your going for an effect like that. Then nothing is impacted except that specific outfit. That's probably a closer effect to the OP's original request of "moving cape" which I'm assuming is the "flowing cape with physics mod". But there's no tri's, morphs etc in fallout NV like there is in skyrim so that may impact the finished project too.

That's some of the aspects and issue that spring immediately to mind, but I could be wrong.......as I'm no expert in this area.

• 2 weeks later...

What about veteran ranger helmet glowing visor eyes toggled by pip-boy light switch?

I did a mod with a user selectable hotkey for the elite riot gear helmet and it's night vision (your suggestion would fit well with night vision goggles on that mod) and I'd suggest that as a solution since turning on your pipboy does disrupt sneeking.....but if you want the visor toggled by the pipboy I think that's do-able. Chaining an OE to the pipboy light on/off is fairly straight forward and I don't *think* an on/off glow effect for the visor would be too difficult to figure out.

Just to keep things clean though, you might want to make a new request, as I'm hoping we'll be focusing (and soon will have new material to focus) on a animated nif for the ranger duster in this thread, and I (and others) can better address your request in a new post (plus it helps when researching for other modders/members).

• 3 years later...

is there any mods that make coat not following legs and it just staying in place, even if legs gets over it.

I don't know if there is an existing mod for it (I don't believe there is, but I could be wrong), however if I understand what your asking I have some thoughts on that;

You can do something like that via weight painting it so the legs have minimal impact on the lower part of the duster. Your still going to have/need to have some impact (ie which is why I say weight paint instead of just removing those vertices from the vertex groups) or the legs will clip through the duster. That shouldn't be too difficult though, in theory, since it's a pretty established maneuver (weight painting to assign each bones effect and not just use the bodyweight script to assign 1.0 to the mesh). In practice though, weight painting by hand (at least for me) is pretty time consuming, so it might be a lot of work.

I think it'd be one of those thing that you'd probably have to whip up a few models with differerent fractional integers weight and see how each one looks in game. It might end up that there isn't a acceptable compromise between the two. I'm a lazy sob so I just use the boneweight copy script, but I could try a few models and see how things look if your interested.

The right way to do it, involves the shape keys. Blender (at least 2.8) has a nice sort of graph that can alter shapes (shape keys) as you move along the keyframe slider, so you could make this perfect with the duster exactly following (or not following) the legs as you wish. However I don't know if the blender scripts can "translate" that to animated nif correctly from 2.49.....I'v never done it. Plus if it does correctly translate/convert it to a nif your still talking a *lot* of work....shapekeys for every animation if you want it to be consistant. That's also a chunkier nif than the default as well (although I'm not sure if it's a significant change in size for the nif on modern PCs).

• 6 months later...