Diamond City: The biggest immersion breaking thing ever (in my opinion)

(You know what's the most un-immersive thing in Diamond City? Nat says the motor on the printing press would burn out from printing so many copy of their newspaper, but the printing press itself is HAND CRANKED. :laugh: )

Well, whoever operates the crank, can burn out :dry:

...but where do they get all that paper and the ink?

I think it should be noted that it takes more skill to create an appropriation of something than just replicating something 1:1. 1:1 real life references exist, and working with that is very simple. To shrink something down, you need eyes for understanding the essence of the subject, and then translate it in a way it can be communicated to the audience.

I myself actually think the scales in Fallout 4 didn't work out, though, and I'm not disagreeing with your points. What I wanted to say was that treating them with more respect may offer you an insight to what may happen in development of a game, mistakes included.

About shrinking down the interiors - you might be a completely left-brain person and don't think the way I do, but I think architectures tell stories. For example, the size of Dragonsreach in Whiterun in Skyrim is meant to communicate how important and powerful the Jarl is to the city. If you shrink down the castle interior proportionately to the building shell, you'd probably end up with a less interesting dude in an armchair. I think this kind of thinking can improve what you want to express in some cases.

There is one game that does the fully 1:1 size for everything. Arkane Studio's Prey did all the interior matching up 100 % in the space station Talos One. It's only about 830 m long, but it feels huge in game. That's definitely one way to do something, but I don't think you could do it as easily in open world games without sacrificing game pacing. (Prey is an amazing game, by the way. One of the best immersive sim out there IMO.)

Personally, I think Fallout 3 and NV assets felt better proportion-wise than the uniform Fallout 4 modular kit. Of course, Bethesda had to sacrifice flexibility and varieties, but those older assets felt more relatable to me.

Just trying to offer different perspectives. :happy:

(You know what's the most un-immersive thing in Diamond City? Nat says the motor on the printing press would burn out from printing so many copy of their newspaper, but the printing press itself is HAND CRANKED. :laugh: )

Yes, it takes skill and experience to do what they did with FO4.

I personally think of the game world as literal, so while it is smaller then real life, I think that everything that is there is actually there.

I am not compalining "oh the town is so small", I understand that the game has (artificial) limitations (mostly because of consoles).

And yes, I understand that there are different approaces to interior design ("room design"), but no matter how "important" or "grand" an interior would like to be, it still needs to adhere to some basic concepts.

Some things we just take for granted:

Like gravity or enemies taking damage when they get shot ... and architecture beeing architecture (and not some teleporting time/space discontinuity).

It's almost like they made only a few interior cells for FO4 and thus tried to put as much into them as they could.

But all of this is probably just me beeing OCD-ish about architecture ...

And I meant "the biggest immersion breaking thing" as like "the physically biggest in size", not as "the worst thing about DC that breaks immersion" ...

I think my first time really experiencing the interior-exterior size difference was with the Yangtze (the chinese Submarine). I was playing around in the creation kit with it's exterior, trying to make a custom interior for it, and not understanding why nothing could fit inside it.

Funny thing:

The first "mod" I made in FO4 was to make that into a player home ...

The "exterior" hull of that submarine is a mess anyway ...

Hydrodynamics? What is that? :laugh:

(I am currently, among other things, working on a proper submarine player home, lots of custom 3d meshes, I might release it if I ever finish it ...)