Deleted1016523User

I recently re-released my old Wrath of the Lich King mod, but I am thinking of remaking it on a bigger scale. Instead of Northrend being a Pocket Shard of Oblivion, what if everything was in Atmora?

But them comes up a problem... at what SCALE do I build everything in? ES Lore Terms, which are gigantic, in WoW's visual scale, which is almost as big, or shall I stick with Skyrim's scale of things?

What do you think?

I am working with one other guy, he's created custom versions of a lot of existing models to make it more LOD friendly, and he very much wants everything to be as massive as possible, strictly along Elder Scrolls Lore, which means... whatever you see in Skyrim? Icebergs, glaciers, mountains - all of that would be tiny in comparison to what my friend wants me to build.

Take Castle Volkihar, the Dawnguard vampire castle, k? Now make that 10, 20, 30 times bigger. That's more or less the scale of just Icecrown Citadel. 15 times is more... likely, but still. It would be truly enormous.

What do you people think I should do?

Because I am the only one really building everything, and with some anxiety/stress problems I can't get rid of, not to mention my desire to make everything fit more into the Skyrim engine, not the Elder Scrolls lore... me and my friend are at a bit of an impasse.

Also, any other suggestions or ideas would be welcome. New input and other opinions would help a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a modder, but I'd reckon that such a huge worldspace would have a massive amount of associated scripts. That could potentially cause script lag—especially for people that enjoy many mods that they can't let go—as well as script errors that could lead to things either... not happening at all or crashing the game.

Additionally, if you make something that huge, it would be more on the scale of something like enderal, completely replacing skyrim as a whole as there is simply not enough room in the game for something like this unless you severely limit your creativity. In which case, there's no point in making such a massive but empty worldspace.

I took a look at wrath of the lich king, and I read over the description. I never tried it out, although I kind of wanted to. But I'm one of those people that have a lot of mods and I am currently in the midst of struggling to get it all smoothed out.

My advice is to not overwork yourself and to not be too ambitious. Your goal is to make everything work as flawlessly as possible whilst also not limiting yourself. That means that you don't make it bigger than it has to be, only as big as required. This reduces the risk of pretty much everything. It also makes compatibility patches easier. Don't shoulder more than you have to, especially considering that your friend seems more like the backseat gamer or planner here. Accept their ideas but take them with a grain of salt and realism. You're the boss here, remember that.

Oh damn, he closed his account. What a shame, I loved the idea of his original mod.

Edited by Thedudeistt