Bound Dagger causes CTD

Omny

So I just got the Bound Dagger spell in Skyrim- not a Nexus mod, the official bound dagger from the Dragonborn DLC. However, every time I cast the spell, the game crashes to my desktop just as my character flicks their wrist up after charging the spell.

Oddly enough, I found that it only crashes when I cast it in my character's right hand. If cast in the left hand it appears just fine, and can swing and stab without any incident. Trying to duel-cast two daggers at once also crashes the game.

I do have mods running, but even when I disable each and every one of them it still happens. I've searched the forums and have come up with nothing useful. Can anyone help me?

Really? That's pretty weird.

I've tried verifying the game cache, thinking that I may have deleted or altered a file when I was cleaning mods via BOSS. but even then it didn't work. It just crashes to desktop, no "Skyrim.exe has stopped working" window or anything.

Just today I tried a different tactic: using console commands, I gave myself Conjuration Duel Casting, as well as some extra magicka. I cast two Bound Dagger spells at the same time, and while the animation played through without any crashing, I only had the Bound Dagger in my left hand and not my right. My right hand was empty, save a faint purple glow. Tapping the mouse button for the right hand only made the little glowing spell-ball appear, as if I hadn't cast the spell at all.

With that said, I've also used console commands to give myself all the other bound weapons: bound bow, bound battleaxe, and bound sword. Casting Bound Bow and Battleaxe in my character's right hand doesn't crash the game, but casting bound sword does. So whatever the problem is, it's affecting the 1-handed bound weapons and not the two-handed ones. With that said, I've also noticed that while casting Bound Dagger in the left hand doesn't crash the game, the animation is a little choppy- as soon as my character's wrist is flicked, a regular Daedric dagger just pops into view for about one frame before the actual bound dagger magically appears in my hand. The two-handed weapon spells play out as normal.

This is very frustrating. I'm gonna try and comb through TES5Edit to see if there's a conflict or an error or something that's effecting them. If I can't fix this, I'm probably just going to give up and just do a complete clean install... though I really, really don't want to do that.

Okay, I am at the end of my damn rope with this problem.

I just did a complete clean install of Skyrim- no mods, no edits, nothing. I uninstalled the game, deleted all the extra files from mods, reinstalled the game, and played it totally 100% vanilla (And before anyone asks, yes this is a legit copy of both Skyrim and Dragonborn).

and it STILL won't let me conjure a Bound Dagger in my right hand without crashing immediately to desktop.

I have officially given up on this. I don't know if its a problem with my Dragonborn DLC or something else, but I am too damn tired to try and wrestle with this anymore, and I don't know enough about coding to try and fix it. I'm going to bed. Hopefully someone on here will enlighten me with a solution, but given the track record of some of my other troubleshooting threads, I sincerely doubt that.

• 1 month later...

Hey Omny - hope you are still playing Skyrim and just stabbing fools in the back with good old fashioned steel daggers instead of that hokey weapons and ancient religions nonsense.

It is nonsense because I used to love my bound sword and then one day it just started crashing me to desktop.

For me - it fixed itself on its own after I updated my sound card drivers. I don't know why or if that is what it was, but I can now conjur up all sorts of stabby objects and never even see my desktop.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. Running the latest Skyrim/SKSE with all 3 DLC packs.

Casting Bound Sword or Bound Dagger using either hand causes an immediate CTD. Casting Bound Bow and Bound Battleaxe works just fine.

Nothing in the Papyrus log points to a script problem as the culprit.

EDIT: FIXED IT

The problem is something glitched in your player's inventory. Use the console to remove everything from your inventory (player.removeallitems [target refID]), then issue the console command player.resetinventory

If you're carrying any quest items that aren't removed by that first command, you'll need to use the command player.drop [item refID] [item count] to force your character to drop it/them.

You'll be kitted out in a new set of iron armor, and your bound one-hand weapon spells will work again.

Then use the console to transfer all your items back to your character: [target refID].removeallitems player

Any special quest items you had to force-drop with the console can be picked up off the ground.

For simplicity's sake, I recommend using an empty chest or other container as your temporary storage vessel. I used Shadowmere, and it worked just fine.

Edited by Rolandito

• 5 months later...

Thanks Rolandito, your fix worked. I didn't follow it precisely - basically I emptied my inventory into a chest, leaving all but the irremovable quest items on my person, then tripped the /resetinventory command. Worked like a charm :)

nb: I have no idea what item proc'd this bug, it started out of the blue at level 60, just as I finished Dragonborn DLC

• 5 years later...

5 years later, had this same issue. did the above fix and it fixed it. I am sure everyone has mostly moved on from Skyrim, but I had a hankering, modded the heck out of my game, and thought it was one of my mods. Nope, just a stupid bug that you would think would have been fixed by an unofficial patch. Or maybe one of my mods is overwriting something and the patch does fix it. Who knows. This worked. THANK YOU!

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread, but could somebody please make a lightweight mod that fixes this bug? punching in the commands doesn't seem to fix it on the character I specifically built for bound daggers (after 12 hours of playtime I don't want to start over again)

edit: welp, I derped and realized this isn't the SE board, I'm on Skyrim VR so I should probably make my way over that way....

Edited by TheCometCE

• 4 months later...