[LE] Help needed: "glass lens/magnifier-effect" Possible?

I wonder if there is a way to give a transparent object a lens/magnifier-effect, so that everything behind it looks bigger/closer?

Never saw something like that on the nex. (i'm not sure if i ever saw something like that in any game to be honest.)

This would open up some fantastic possibilities (for me). :cool:

Does anyone have an idea?

Edited by OutLaw666

pretty difficult u will see something similar around...since lens effect in reality is due to true lighting while in a game we have a "fake lighting" (is 2d even pretending to be 3d) with render... that said fallout new vegas got binoculars...i guess to look in those nif files could be a starting point...in example a rounded glass with the binocular effect set in the nif...it "could " render bigger the nearest object...an alpha channel would solve the "too precise"kinda television effect.

another option are the envmaps...if u make an envmap from the enviroment around the lens and apply to the lens results are not bad at all.

i'll track this discussion... i'm curious about answers too...would be pretty interesting to know about eventual possibilities

Edited by CaBaL120

If you're talking about having an object, say, a magnifying glass in your hand where everything through it would be zoomed in but everything around it and your peripheral vision would be normal - then no, I don't think so at least. But the modding community has come up with some amazing stuff since the release of Skyrim, so I hope that I'll be proved wrong. But as CaBaL120 said Fallout New Vegas had binoculars, that effect was achieved by placing an overlay over the game's first person view and zooming in. Skyrim itself has a perk where you can zoom in with a bow, so zooming in is obviously possible.

What exactly are you trying to create?

Ok, thanks to both of you!

Yes exactly what you say Strobeligh: magnifying glass that zooms in, but everything around it stays normal.

CaBal120 {Quote} : "...since lens effect in reality is due to true lighting while in a game we have a "fake lighting" (is 2d even pretending to be 3d) with render..." {quote end}. I couldn't explain it better, but that's exactly what i wanted to simulate.

I would like to create some dwarven themed scopes for bows, and maybe some other binocular like things. I did a few bows with ironsights so far, (not to spam, just if you're interested: Dwarven Sniper bow mod ) because i dont want to have anything on the screen. (no crosshair no hud)

I like immersion. Of course I know the eagles eye perk for zooming in with bows, but this effect has nothing to do with the bow itself. Therefore in my opinion it's not very immersive. It's not obvious where it comes from, it's just an effect on the screen meant to simulate a skill from the eye.

After reading your comments, googleing a little bit and looking carefully at the weapon scopes and binoculars from a few different games I came to conclusion that this "zoom in" always works only the same old way.

Achieved by a decreased FOV.

...so i fear what i wanted to do isn't possible. :mellow:

In case you find spelling mistakes or strange soundig sentences, i'm sorry english is not my main language.

Edited by OutLaw666

Hey, like I said, the modding community for Bethesda's games have always come up with thing that you would imagine impossible, but workarounds are done and I could see that idea getting quite a lot of attention! (By the way, I just downloaded your bow, never considered iron sights for a bow, looks niiice)

I think it would be easier to have that binoculars style effect like in New Vegas, where you would right click and it would simply zoom in the entire screen but with a 'binoculars' black overlay. It would be perfectly fine, Call of Duty does it, Battlefield does it. When you look down an ACOG scope in Battlefield 3, you still have peripheral vision but your entire view zooms in with the scope. Try looking at it that way, it'll probably be a lot easier for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm raising a dead thread here but just found it and don't normally spend much time on the forums.

Achieving the effect on only a part of the screen rather then the whole screen is highly problematic.

I spent a lot of time on it but hit a wall with not being able to really import material properties into a .nif.(trying to get a material to have a refractive index) but I still think it's a possibility, just don't know enough about material properties in Skyrim.

You don't seem keen on a FOV based solution but it's certainly a starting point I can help with for what it's worth, that's my mod that SONNYSPAK posted up :)

Anyway let me know if this thread is still going and/or PM me if you fancy chewing the fat.

• 7 years later...

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but I would like to interject: Both refracting glass and refacting stalhrim mods on the nexus have options that add lenses to the respectiver scoped bows...the models don't seem to use the right textures by default, and the refraction effect is only in part of the circle and has distortion, but it is definitely bigger. If someone with more skill than I were to toy with the refaction of lenses, this could hopefully be accomplished.