Black loading screens take so long to load

XFloW01

There are 2 types of loading screens, one with the tips and a 3d rotating item which doesn't take longer than 1 minute, but there is a black loading screen that takes ridiculously long, like 5-10 minutes, the game is on SSD which is supposed to make loading faster.

I have few mods and none of them are high res texture mods and this happens since the start of the game so it has nothing to do with the save file size, I don't have the HD DLC active.

Is there a way to avoid black loading screens?

Here are my specs if it helps

RTX 3080
i7 10700K
32gb ram

playing the game on 1080p ultra preset

Hello. You have a very good computer. All you need to do is, every day, before you run the game, to use a defrag program for your hard disk, so everything run faster and also your save files load faster, because sometimes a save file cant load -a problem i have at the past, many times. Thats all. Thanks.

Hello. You have a very good computer. All you need to do is, every day, before you run the game, to use a defrag program for your hard disk, so everything run faster and also your save files load faster, because sometimes a save file cant load -a problem i have at the past, many times. Thats all. Thanks.

This is a bad idea. You should never really need to defrag your drives, windows handles that in the background these days, and if it's a solid state drive, attempting to defrag the drive will dramatically shorten its life.

The black loading screens *should* be faster than the ones that load the pic, and captions, simply because, it ISN'T loading those. I think there is a mod out there that makes ALL the loading screens black, and supposedly, faster. Why they are slower for the OP is a mystery to me.

This is a bad idea. You should never really need to defrag your drives, windows handles that in the background these days, and if it's a solid state drive, attempting to defrag the drive will dramatically shorten its life.

The black loading screens *should* be faster than the ones that load the pic, and captions, simply because, it ISN'T loading those. I think there is a mod out there that makes ALL the loading screens black, and supposedly, faster. Why they are slower for the OP is a mystery to me.

thank you for the warning about defragging the drive

i found similar threads about black loading screens loading way longer than the regular loading screen with text and 3d item, simply google "black loading screen fallout 4" and there will be dozens of topics, unfortunately i wouldnt ask here if any of them helped, the load accelerator does help a little bit with loading but still takes 5+ minutes long especially if it's interior>exterior, im definitely not alone in this, whenever i get that loading screen i just force shut down the game with alt+f4 because it will be faster to just restart it all up again than waiting for the exterior to load

Edited by XFloW01

For troubleshooting purposes you could try to manually disable/enable the FPS lock in-game during loading screens.

This can be done by using f4se and an ENB.

1. Disable Load Accelerator

(To avoid interference during troubleshooting).

2. Search Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Custom.ini for the setting: iPresentInterval=1

Change it to iPresentInterval=0 (removes the games FPS lock).

3. Install an ENB (the default download from the ENB website is fine)

Map keys to the KeyFPSLimit and KeyShowFPS in enblocal.ini, or use the defaults

4. Launch the game with the f4se launcher

Do not use the FO4 launcher, it resets the iPresentInterval setting.

5. In-game

Hit the key to show the FPS.

When loading screens start, hit the ENB key to disable the FPS lock.

When the loading is finished, hit the key again to enable FPS lock.

See if it makes any difference.

Cheers,

DK

thank you for the warning about defragging the drive

i found similar threads about black loading screens loading way longer than the regular loading screen with text and 3d item, simply google "black loading screen fallout 4" and there will be dozens of topics, unfortunately i wouldnt ask here if any of them helped, the load accelerator does help a little bit with loading but still takes 5+ minutes long especially if it's interior>exterior, im definitely not alone in this, whenever i get that loading screen i just force shut down the game with alt+f4 because it will be faster to just restart it all up again than waiting for the exterior to load

That's WAY too long. What type of drive are you using? I have found that the huge (1TB or greater) drives tend to be REALLY slow.......

@HeyYoui

Agree, something is seriously wrong here.

But, the size of the SSD has a very low impact (if any at all), the throughput makes a huge difference. I have my FO4 installs on a 3TB SSD (it is a stripeset, so kind of not "normal").

A SSD SATA is way slower than a nvme drive but the OP does not specify.

Btw, been away from FO4 for a very long time, but I remember you! :)

(and I totally agree with your post about defrag on SSD, that is STUPID, Windows runs TRIM automatically unless the installation of the OS is screwed).

Me thinks we'll crack this one, given that the OP can give us some info!

-DK