Black loading screens take so long to load

XFloW01

@HeyYoui

Agree, something is seriously wrong here.

But, the size of the SSD has a very low impact (if any at all), the throughput makes a huge difference. I have my FO4 installs on a 3TB SSD (it is a stripeset, so kind of not "normal").

A SSD SATA is way slower than a nvme drive but the OP does not specify.

Btw, been away from FO4 for a very long time, but I remember you! :smile:

(and I totally agree with your post about defrag on SSD, that is STUPID, Windows runs TRIM automatically unless the installation of the OS is screwed).

Me thinks we'll crack this one, given that the OP can give us some info!

-DK

In a good, or bad way? :D

Yep, NVME is significantly faster than your average SSD, and orders of magnitude faster than any mechanical drive. I put an SSD in my laptop (which I use to talk to my truck) and loved it so much, EVERY machine in the house now runs on an ssd, or NVME drive. :D

i

@HeyYoui

Agree, something is seriously wrong here.

But, the size of the SSD has a very low impact (if any at all), the throughput makes a huge difference. I have my FO4 installs on a 3TB SSD (it is a stripeset, so kind of not "normal").

A SSD SATA is way slower than a nvme drive but the OP does not specify.

Btw, been away from FO4 for a very long time, but I remember you! :smile:

(and I totally agree with your post about defrag on SSD, that is STUPID, Windows runs TRIM automatically unless the installation of the OS is screwed).

Me thinks we'll crack this one, given that the OP can give us some info!

-DK

thank you for your reply, i have 2 sata3 SSDs one 500gb where both system and fallout 4 are installed and the other is 1tb only for storage, none of the ssds are full, there is 170gb and 560gb free in each drive respectively

i just find it weird that the normal loading screen with the tooltip and the image load WAY faster than the black loading screen with vault tec logo on bottom right corner that i seem to get randomly

it's inconsistent and unpredictable, about once every 10 loads i'd get the black loading screen and it's especially bad when it's interior>exterior, all other games seem to load just fine and like i said according to google i'm not alone in this, i dont know what caused it or how to fix it but apparently i've been cursed with this black loading screen

heres a list of mod that i currently have: https://imgur.com/gymAKNx

Edited by XFloW01

@XFloWo1.

Do a test with f4se and ENB as I posted.

I totally agree with HeyYou, those kind of stats makes no sense. I use the f4se/ENB method in FO4. It wearies, but when I go from indoor to outdoor, the load times are from 5 sec to 15 secs.

Loading a save from scratch with an heavy ENB, or loading in to a new zone is in worst case around a minute.

Your case makes no sense. BUT, disabling the FPS lock during load has a huge impact.

Try it, and report back :smile:

-DK

EDIT: I was talking out of my ass.... I'm never ever close to a minute in normal play. When I start FO4.. sometimes ENB goes in to a fit, and it takes a minute to load.

In normal play, worst case 30 to 40 secs with a RTX 2080Ti

Edited by DjinnKiller

A man's upbringing is judged by his actions, but mainly by words. Because several have become accustomed to being rude in so-called social media, they believe that their bad behavior, which is tolerated by most, is yet another token of a supposedly social maturity. That, about what i said, to defrag the hard disk. This space here is to suggest immediate solutions to questions and not as some who visit a subject do, just to write something vaguely and pass their time. Ultimately, respect is a matter of upbringing, because in this life we are not all consumers of people and products. Simple as that.

Telling someone to defrag a SSD is stupid advice.

1. Defrag will dramatically shorten the lifespan of a SSD.

2. Most likely/hopefully the operating system will prevent defrag from happening, thus for non-technical users just following the advice creating more confusion (as to why they can't defrag).

What is rude, is to just throw out any advice to see what sticks to the wall, and then let others pick up the pieces.

-DK

Edited by DjinnKiller

• 3 weeks later...

i figured the best fix is just to delete the game and move on, it's getting very frustrating and nothing seems to fix it, everything is a dead end, i cant clean reinstall the game because i had quite a few big complicated mods that i wont be bothered to reinstall again

A man's upbringing is judged by his actions, but mainly by words. Because several have become accustomed to being rude in so-called social media, they believe that their bad behavior, which is tolerated by most, is yet another token of a supposedly social maturity. That, about what i said, to defrag the hard disk. This space here is to suggest immediate solutions to questions and not as some who visit a subject do, just to write something vaguely and pass their time. Ultimately, respect is a matter of upbringing, because in this life we are not all consumers of people and products. Simple as that.

Measure Twice, Cut Once. Words to live by.

Measure Twice, Cut Once. Words to live by.

While his words ring true, but, you are missing context. He was mad because he got called out for suggesting someone defrag their solid state drive, which is a major no-no.

Edited by HeyYou

In my reading, etc., I have heard that you should never, under any circumstances whatsoever, defrag a SSD. Ever.

As to the loading screen problem, if you have started the game, and going say from exterior to interior, or vice versa, that is actually the game loading the interior cells in. Sometimes it can take a while, depending on the cell. The same is true from going from interior to exterior. It is not something you can mod away. Only change you might be able to make to that is to upgrade your CPU, and even that is not 100% guaranteed to change much. My best suggestion is to make a quick save just before you transition. Time the transition. Then exit the game, and try again with a fresh start. If it is slower, then it is actually the game, not your system, that is loading in the cells. I am pretty sure there might be some tweaks you can do, however, I don't know what they are. Try using PCB, at times. This isn't an ENB issue. It is a load in new cells issue. And that, really, is governed by the game.

This is true!

But, it is also (for some idiotic reason) connected to the frame rate. So, disabling the frame rate lock when a load screen starts can significantly reduce your load time.

Combine that with a fast disk, CPU etc and your load times can be dropped down to tolerable.

I rarely have load times above 30 sec (apart from starting the game), but I always manually disable the FR lock during load screens.

-DK

Edited by DjinnKiller