Denerim Market Crashin' My Game

Weeping

Hey hey guys.

So I've just gotten to Denerim for the first time on my new character and began to do all the little fun things like stop by the Chantry, chatting up Gorim, etc. It seems however that the market causes my game to crash the longer I'm exposed to it. Or rather, the area right in front of the blacksmith and Goldanna's, stretching just up to the Orlesian saleswoman. It's a small enough area, but unfortunately pretty crucial to the game! I've gotten through talking to Kylon and Goldanna, but even when it didn't crash immediately, sprinting away as fast as possible was fruitless as I guess the crashing was already set into motion.

I do have a bunch of mods active, but the only thing that might alter this area is Improved Atmosphere, I think, and it's never done this before. So I'm just curious if there's any suggestions for something else that could be happening? I'll keep trying to skirt around as fast as possible, but eventually I'ma NEED to get my armor from Wade and Herron.

I have had alot of problems with the Market area. A few mods alter the market area and are not compatable. The only solution i have found that works is either saving the game, exitting and restarting the game this works about 1 in 3 attempts so not very good or disabling Improved Atmosphere as this alters the equipement people suddently appear in their underwear. So you really need to start again without Improved Atmosphere or find the mods in conflict and remove them.

Couple of things I would suggest:

o Check your patch level. If not 1.05, install and see if that helps. (Especially if you have a DX-10 graphics card, as I did...)

o As patdc said, remove IA. It's a great mod by itself, and utterly abysmal at getting along with others.

Blech! I uninstalled AI to fix it, but as patdc said, now numerous NPCs are walking around completely naked. Reinstalling AI has had no effect on fixing the issue. Anything I can do to clothe these fools? This is the sorta thing that puts a damper on a playthrough :/

• 4 months later...

Is there no solution to Denerim CTD? I get characters with alternating textures on them.

I don't have IA installed. I uninstalled JB3nArmor, still an issue with some models. Any saves within Denerim are corrupted (no longer loads, just CTD's).

Is anyone else aware which Mods (particularly popularly used ones conflict?

Any of the 'retexture the whole game' mods are reported as causing problems. If you have 'alternating textures' that sure sounds like you have at least one retexture mod installed. Other than that, just what the previous posts say.

Retexture mods don't always play well with others

Try to have a minimum of quests open, all the flag checking can cause issues.

Other than that, Denerim and Orzammar are areas that can have lag even with no mods installed so it can be tough if you are barely meeting the minimum requirements for playing DAO (and my computer barely meets the requirements so I know this!)

• 3 years later...
I realise this thread is pretty old, but if anyone is still having issues with this or encounters this when playing through again, just turn the graphic detail right down whenever you're in denerim. It completely solved the issue for me, even loading saves that crashed before anything loaded started working.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I realise this thread is pretty old, but if anyone is still having issues with this or encounters this when playing through again, just turn the graphic detail right down whenever you're in denerim. It completely solved the issue for me, even loading saves that crashed before anything loaded started working.

You saved me a massive amount of time, THANK YOU! That's actually working perfectly. I already thought I'd have to sort out my millions of textures, mods and morphs!