bloodcontract

Any chance of somebody creating a mod for the Minutemen Castle Artillery that does either of the things listed below, please?

1) Artillery firing at enemies on its own. (Without using Artillery Smoke Grenades. Like a turret, auto-targeting the enemies.)

2) Artillery firing similarly to the cannons on the USS Constitution. (Manually-activated by pressing a button or pulling a lever/switch.)

3) Artillery firing with the use of the map. (Perhaps firing where your custom marker on the map is placed? Kind of like how the Airstrike in Call of Duty works, where you select a spot on the map.)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I tried to create #2 by basically copying the USS Constitution cannons/placing them in my settlement but failed miserably. I give up.
The USS Constitution's cannons themselves are only decorative objects it seems; I cannot wire them and the firing effect (the smoke etc.) occurs at fixed spots on the ship (where the cannons are placed) and the explosions hit the same spots, no matter where I place the cannons or the direction they're facing.

Edited by pixelmurderer1

Damn that is such a cool idea! I would love to see that. Just not sure how it would actually work when you try to kill something on the map far away.

I doubt the game can load enemies far away when you stand at the gun, so firing it wouldn't do anything except look nice.

What could possibly work, is giving you an item that calls a strike to a position you look at... but that would work similar to the flares.

Damn that is such a cool idea! I would love to see that. Just not sure how it would actually work when you try to kill something on the map far away.

I doubt the game can load enemies far away when you stand at the gun, so firing it wouldn't do anything except look nice.

What could possibly work, is giving you an item that calls a strike to a position you look at... but that would work similar to the flares.

Thanks for the reply & glad you like the idea!

Regarding the Airstrike thing (#3), yes, you'd still need to be close enough for both, the enemies and the projectile/explosion to actually spawn, considering it's not a projectile that actually flies all the way up and lands at the chosen spot. It's just a firing effect at the artillery's location, then a shell spawning out of the sky and landing at that spot I believe.

As about the artillery's range, I was reading some posts earlier today and came across this image showing the artillery's firing range from the Castle, and there are mods that give the artillery infinite range anyway, but you'd still be required to be close to the target.

I was thinking more of a function that allows you to place a marker in a fixed radius around your current location, not just any location on the map. Something like this. (Or an even smaller radius, in case enemies don't spawn from that far.)

Oh and there's mods like this that do what you mentioned (more or less) but I believe it requires a line of sight to the spot you want it to strike. I could change the laser into a mortar shell or whatever, but it's not really what I'm looking for. There's also this mod which adds a flare gun for the artillery smoke grenades so you can throw them farther.

I was more interested in #1 or #2 though to be honest. #3 was more of a "Plan B" if neither of the above worked. And in the case of #2, being able to assign settlers to do it would be great.

Edited by pixelmurderer1

Apparently one of the mods I have installed has a cannon like the USS Constitution's but when I assign a settler to it, they do absolutely nothing. They just stand behind the cannon and still fire their actual weapon. -.- Not even sure which mod it is that added it but oh well... I'm gonna have to live with the regular ones for now I guess. I wasted 4-5h trying various things in FO4Edit and the Creation Kit, to no avail.