Help me get this retexture to work - Game won't load loose file before BSA?

Cridow

I'm seriously going insane!!!

I've retextured the faces of vanilla ghouls. I have a male and a female texture ready to go.

Problem is, no matter what I do, the game loads the default texture (from the BSA). I open the game, summon a guinea pig ghoul npc to test, and they have the vanilla textures on.

It only ever switches to the loose file when I open the showlooksmenu/slm console command for the character (like, say, Kent for instance, who is one of my guinea pigs for testing), mess with a morph and It's like magic! Then it "resets" and starts using the loose file.

I don't think that's exactly efficient. The point of this retexture is to make the ghouls look better and not give me (or end users) an extra job. Wouldn't it be painful to go around doing this s#*! to every NPC?

Is it the file format? I tried saving as DXT1, DXT5, and 8.8.8 lossless and the result is the same.

Is it an ini setting?

Similarly, one of the most popular glitches complained about in my skin retexture Cridowskin is some human females' faces defaulting to use the vanilla texture (happens in my game) and the only means of "resetting" it being the same thing. Opening SLM with the character's id, messing around with literally anything that is a morph, and exitting.

So that's my problem. The loose files aren't being loaded by default.

Shall I post my mod list or anything? I don't usually ask for help so bear with me

You need to make sure that you're putting the loose files in the exact same PATH in the folders that the BSAs contain inside them.

If the BSA has a texture path (JUST AN EXAMPLE) of Fallout 4\Data\textures\ghoul\face.dds

Then you need to put your LOOSE face.dds texture in Fallout 4\Data\Textures\ghoul\face.dds as well.

The sad thign is, they are in the right path. I checked like ten times inside the BSA files and compared to other retextures paths.

\Textures\Actors\Character\GhoulFemale\GhoulFemaleHead_d.dds

AND

\Textures\Actors\Character\GhoulMale\GhoulMaleHead_d.dds

Is it allowed to upload the files to see if anyone has the same issue, in case a kind soul wants to test it out? It's on my google drive

I think that happens because the faces have prerendered textures that include all details for the face of each npc individually (as well as meshes) in Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomization\Fallout4.esm.

Only when you modify the face in-game it stops using the prerendered ones.

You need to make sure that you're putting the loose files in the exact same PATH in the folders that the BSAs contain inside them.

If the BSA has a texture path (JUST AN EXAMPLE) of Fallout 4\Data\textures\ghoul\face.dds

Then you need to put your LOOSE face.dds texture in Fallout 4\Data\Textures\ghoul\face.dds as well.

The sad thign is, they are in the right path. I checked like ten times inside the BSA files and compared to other retextures paths.

AND

Is it allowed to upload the files to see if anyone has the same issue, in case a kind soul wants to test it out? It's on my google drive

Are there other files such as "GhouldFemaleHead.dds?"

BEcause last time I did textures, the texture files with a _D or _G etc, were modifier textures, and the main textures were named without any _D or _G.dds etc

Like GhouldFemaleHead_G.dds would be a glow Map, but wouldn't change the Appearance of the Ghoul Head.

I think that happens because the faces have prerendered textures that include all details for the face of each npc individually (as well as meshes) in Textures\Actors\Character\FaceCustomization\Fallout4.esm.

oh god... i suspected that folder but i didn't know what to do with it, every time i tried previewing, f*#@ all happened.

i think youre right. How do I regenerate these files? Do I have to open up the CK and export the files while having the loose textures on?

AND

Are there other files such as "GhouldFemaleHead.dds?"

BEcause last time I did textures, the texture files with a _D or _G etc, were modifier textures, and the main textures were named without any _D or _G.dds etc

Like GhouldFemaleHead_G.dds would be a glow Map, but wouldn't change the Appearance of the Ghoul Head.

I'm gonna add a diffuse without _d to see if it changes anything! ty

THANK YOU. This solved my problem and I'm no longer going insane!!! I'll go ahead and do the same for my skin replacer and then pack that thing into a fomod already lol.

Thank you both for helping me through! :D