Photo

Periodic Horse, Skill Book and Trainer Bugs

bugs glitch mod conflict load order mod order horse skill book experience trainer leveling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Coastalaxe

Coastalaxe

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 296 posts

So, I have recently started a new game and installed a few new mods that I've been meaning to try out for a while. I have over 600 hours played in Skyrim and the vast majority of that (400hrs+) has been with a modded game. 

Now I am about 10hrs into the game (from this point whenever I refer to my Skyrim experience it shall be in reference to my most recent 10hr playthrough/save), and I have noticed a few minor problems along the way:

The first thing I noticed was that I wasn't getting any experience from skill books when I read them. 

The second thing I noticed was that I wasn't leveling up after paying trainers for a level. 

The third thing I noticed was that at one point in the outside (outdoors) of Skyrim, I wasn't able to interact with Horses. (I could kill them and loot them afterwards, but I could not ride them)

It should be noted that all of these bugs have not been persistent in my recent game. At the very beginning of the game I wasn't getting experience from skill books, but after a point I seemingly randomly was able to level my skills from books again. With trainers, I was using them normally at the start but mid game (5ish hrs in) I noticed the experience bug. I haven't been able to yet determine if I received any experience at all during those periods. Finally, I was able to ride horses mid game, but later at one point I didn't get any activation indicator (no "press E to ride" on screen) when I approached two different horses. Neither horse was owned by me, but the earlier in the game I had successfully ridden a stolen horse.

I believe the most likely problem is a mod conflict. I'm running about 150 mods (a lot of weapon, armor and quest mods) and while I'm familiar with load order rules, BOSS and TES5EDIT, I have not been able to solve the problem through simple deduction (guessing which mod would be the culprit). 

Now I haven't actually troubleshooted my problems fully yet. I haven't gone through the process of deactivating and activating mods one by one to see which cause the problems. I haven't done this because I am lazy. I have lots of mods and this process could potentially take quite a while. 

This brings me here. I have decided to post my load order and BOSS report to see if anyone can spot some obvious (game breaking) conflict that I have missed. Or if any simple suggestions can be made. 

Keep in mind that I have looked at the mods in TES5EDIT and am aware of merged patches. I am simply lazy and don't want to go through a lot of the hassle. However, if merged patches could potentially solve these bugs, I would be open to making them. Additionally, I am not an expert on modding or being a user. I consider myself reasonably informed, but am totally open to learning some lessons (i.e. being called an idiot and consequently being enlightened)  

Load Order:

Spoiler

BOSS Report:

Spoiler

P.S. I have attached my load order file and BOSS log file for convenience. Let me know if I should provide any further info. 

Attached Files

Coastalaxe

Coastalaxe

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 296 posts

Can't seem to edit my post. Anyway, just a small adjustment. I don't actually have 150mods. It's probably closer to a bit over 100. Compulsive need to correct myself. 

Also, I should probably clarify that the new mods I installed before my most recent playthrough were vastly quest mods. Wyrmsooth, Falskar, etc. My thinking is that these are probably somehow interfering with my other mods and are the cause of my "bugs". 

Edited by Coastalaxe, 28 July 2013 - 08:22 AM.

Coastalaxe

Coastalaxe

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 296 posts

UPDATE: So I've managed to get a better idea regarding the bug with trainers. It seems that the trainer will give me experience, but won't level me up if I'm already very close to leveling up that specific skill. So if the skill bar is around 95% full for a particular skill, the trainer won't level me up. Regardless of how much I train with them. 

UPDATE #2: I've found an additional problem in my game. For some reason npc's on the roads of Skyrim are found crouching near dead bodies and are playing the "loot the corpse" animation. Depending on the npc (sometimes they are unique) if I can talk to them they will stop, get up, respond to me and then continue on the road as if they never stopped in the first place. Weird. 

Edited by Coastalaxe, 28 July 2013 - 08:20 AM.

mikwarleo

mikwarleo

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I was having the same problem with trainers occassionally, googled the problem and found this post.

In most recent example Fendal would take my money, I would lose training opportunities (you get 5 per level and these would reduce as I paid for training), however the skill would not increase. After reading this post I fired a single arrow at an elk which levelled up my archery from 45 to 46. Meaning it was extremely close to next level. Returning to Fendal I could train Archery normally again.

Coastalaxe

Coastalaxe

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 296 posts

@mikwarloe

That's pretty much it. I still experience this bug. It's not terribly game-breaking, but it can be annoying, since instead of spamming the train button you have to wait to see if each click works. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bugs, glitch, mod conflict, load order, mod order, horse, skill book, experience, trainer, leveling

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.031 seconds