Skyrim SE CTD with ENB (d3d11.dll) and ReShade (dxgi.dll)

PinkSamantha

Hi guys.

I have a problem with Skyrim SE with ENB and ReShade.

I'm trying to use ENB with my Skyrim SE but the problem is if I put d3d11.dll in my Skyrim SE's root folder (the one with SkyrimSE.exe and SkyrimSELauncher.exe), the game will CTD immediately after skse64_loader started. It doesn't even make it to the main menu. The same thing happens with ReShade (dxgi.dll). If I rename the d3d11.dll or dxgi.dll to something else, for example d3d11backup.dll, or move the .dll to somewhere else or delete it, the game starts just fine. I can play for hours with SKSE64 and a lot of mods without stuttering or crashing. But as long as d3dll.dll or dxgi.dll is in the root folder, the game will always CTD.

Things I've tried:

- using several versions of ENB.

- disabling ShaderCache in enblocal.ini file.

- using several custom ENB presets.

- using vanilla ENB (without custom preset).

- using Marty McFly's Graphics Enhancement (uses ReShade instead of ENB).

My SKSE64 is already the latest version. And I don't think this has anything to do with SKSE.

I've also tried both ENB and ReShade (one at a time) with vanilla Skyrim SE:

1. Remove all settings (Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini).

2. Move all mods and custom/non-vanilla files out of the SkyrimSE folder, leaving only the vanilla files.

3. Verifying the files with Steam (doesn't matter how many times I try, Steam does not download anything, which means my game files are fine).

4. Run SkyrimSELauncher to set up Skyrim and generate new settings (Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini).

5. Place all ENB files from the Wrapper folder in the root folder of Skyrim SE.

6. Run the game with either SkyrimSELauncher or SkyrimSE.

7. The game CTD before the main menu shows up.

The same thing happens with ReShade.

I ran out of idea about how to fix this problem. Even my Skyrim LE from back when I was still using Windows 7 which I haven't touched for at least several years runs fine with a custom ENB preset (I'm using NLA + Tapioks' Shaders) and a lot of mods and doesn't crash, not even once. I've tried finding a solution everywhere but couldn't find any. From what I read, there are other people having the same problem too. And it seems like it only happens with Skyrim SE, not LE.

Keep in mind that Skyrim SE will always CTD only if there's ENB's d3d11.dll in the Skyrim SE folder regardless of whether or not I'm using SKSE or mods.

And only Skyrim SE. Skyrim LE runs fine with either ENB or ReShade. My Skyrim SE will only run without d3d11.dll or dxgi.dll file in the folder.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Also, just in case, to any of you reading this and can run Skyrim SE with ENB, mind posting your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini with the spoiler tag (so they won't become a wall of text)?

Thanks in advance.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This didn't work for me either :sad:.

I've also tried some of the things mentioned in your comment and the problem persisted. There might be problems with the actual binary or there might be missing ESM files, but honestly, I would rather use IMAGINATOR over ReShade or ENB. You can achieve the same look with IMAGINATOR as would with either of those in terms of bloom, brighness, contrast, and saturation. I get no FPS loss using it and paired with EVLaS, it makes for a lovely set-up as well :D!

Edited by RenaeForrester

• 2 months later...

Hi PinkSamantha,

I think this has something to do with the 3080 and some unfavorable WIN11 interaction.

I have exactly the same problem and try to clarify it in the ENBseries forum.

http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8169

Also pretty much all the possibilities through but without solution.

If there is an answer, i will post it.

BR