[Mod Request] Annoying sound removal

Cashman28590

Can anyone help me identify these sounds that play incessantly, especially at night?

There is a tone, what sounds like music, a sort of violin-esque sound

and accompanying it is what sounds like a metal-hitting-metal stinger effect, you can hear both in the example video above.

I'd very much like someone to help me remove these sounds completely from the game, in all areas. As after so much play time they are starting to drive me up the wall.

Edited by Cashman28590

• 2 weeks later...

I saw you reddit post before it was removed. DL community/moderators really got thing against mods - even this type of mods that don't break the game nor multiplayer at all.

Stingers are located in musicpreset.scr. I changed two lines there, packed it in data3 and gave very quick test in Old Town. Theres still some distant cricket chirping audio but violin stuff etc, should be gone now.

I cant attach file with .pak extension so I renamed it to .zip. So you need to rename it back to data3.pak and drop it in DL install folder, something like \steamapps\common\Dying Light\DW and youre good to go. Hope it works.

Indeed, I think I noticed my mistake. You probably need to modify all 25 musicpreset.scr's as in my example, since they seem to be map specific. Probably easier to try disable it via hdr_snd_groups.scr. I can take a look later when I got time but no promises.

I've made a step of progress, I've identified the exact filenames for each of the offending sounds. They are:

ambience_oldtown_night_global_0

ambience_ot_global_night_0

ambience_slums_global_night_loop_0

Dunno if that helps at all, found them on a video game sound resource website so I don't even know where they are located file wise...

Yeah they are located in .csb’s. Its possible to unpack those audio containers with QuickBMS, replace any sound with blank .ogg and repack whole thing again - but its like killing fly with a sledgehammer. I believe traditional data3 mod is more appropriate approach for this one.

I think I got it now; In that last mod I replaced night audios with "silence.ogg". However my memory served me wrong because real name for this blank audio was dw_silence.ogg...

Also I had to mute some other things via hdr_snd_groups.scr because night ambience is basically built from multiple short audio clips. Hope its now something what you requested.

Edited by Bub200

Well testing in old town it seems like it worked, I'll test other locations with time but it appears that this did the trick.

It's almost totally silent ambient wise which is a bit off putting so I'm going to do some fine tuning to try and get some of it back but;

Thank you very very much for your time and effort, I greatly appreciate the help. ♥