Floating uninteractable objects

kalevala17

Trying to work with a recon scope for the .44 magnum as a 3d object in the world, but for some reason when I drop it out of my inventory or just spawn it near me, its a floating, uninteractable, unscrappable object. I can walk through it, shoot through it, it's as if it isn't even there. Any idea why? The 'box of parts' that it was before worked perfectly fine.

Sounds like the nif does not have any collision or physics. Use Nifskope on it to look for bhkNPCollisionObject node under the top node, with a bhkPhysicsSystem node under that.

Also you don't normally see a weapon mod 'in the world' - it is normally something that looks like a box in your inventory. That box is the same for most weapon mods and is what you drop.

Edited by PJMail

Yeah, I found a way to do it with this guide https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5209230-replacing-collision-in-nifskope-easy-way/

But instead of making the node from scratch (because for some reason I can't even see the binaries in my version of Nifskope, let alone export them) I just copy and paste them from this guide https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8453333-adding-weight-physics-to-a-nif/

And it works perfectly.

Trying to work with a recon scope for the .44 magnum as a 3d object in the world, but for some reason when I drop it out of my inventory or just spawn it near me, its a floating, uninteractable, unscrappable object. I can walk through it, shoot through it, it's as if it isn't even there. Any idea why? The 'box of parts' that it was before worked perfectly fine.

So I can add collision to an object now with complete success, but how do I shrink the collision box (not change the shape, just trim it down) or rotate the collision of an object without rotating the object itself?

I really don't want to download and learn ANOTHER program, please tell me I can do it in Nifskope or the CK.

So I can add collision to an object now with complete success, but how do I shrink the collision box (not change the shape, just trim it down) or rotate the collision of an object without rotating the object itself?

I really don't want to download and learn ANOTHER program, please tell me I can do it in Nifskope or the CK.

Using this guide https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4150400-a-quick-and-probably-bad-tutorial-on-copying-collision-to-new-nifs/page-2&do=findComment&comment=99860213 doesn't help, because even though I follow the directions to the (vague) letter, the collision is still off by 90*, turning a cylinder into a...sideways cylinder that still looks frontways.

Collisions - the bane of my life too. You certainly can't modify them in nifscope (not even rotate them).

CK will show them (F4 or option off view menu) when you are looking at the nif, and it does allow you to 'merge' Collision from multiple objects (there are some Youtube tutorials on this) so you can approximate the correct collision shape (then use nifscope to remove all the unwanted objects meshes)

The only real way is with 2003 tool (forgot the name) and plugins (also lots of youtube videos) - which you can still find as 30day trialware (but can't buy a license for)

Collisions - the bane of my life too. You certainly can't modify them in nifscope (not even rotate them).

CK will show them (F4 or option off view menu) when you are looking at the nif, and it does allow you to 'merge' Collision from multiple objects (there are some Youtube tutorials on this) so you can approximate the correct collision shape (then use nifscope to remove all the unwanted objects meshes)

The only real way is with 2003 tool (forgot the name) and plugins (also lots of youtube videos) - which you can still find as 30day trialware (but can't buy a license for)

I don't want to use 3DSMax - that's what everyone is pointing me towards. It doesn't make sense that I can't rotate the position of a collision in NifSkope. There HAS to be a better, more all-in-one program to use for this kind of stuff. The number of features that NifSkope DOESN'T have far outweighs the features it DOES have.

What do teams like F4NV or the Capital Wasteland Project use? They've got HUNDREDS of new assets!

Hello kalevala17,

I wrote a tutorial to create collision volume through use of SCOL a long time ago here :

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8002618-how-do-modders-handle-nif-collisions-these-days/&do=findComment&comment=73541303

It's not the official way, but it works fine. You'd probably want to create a static version of an item you can pickup (like one of those junk items), and make an SCOL with your recon scope. The last object you select while creating an SCOL will be the source of the SCOL object origin. Nice thing about using SCOL to steal collision is that you can freely resize, rotate, and combine them in CK.

I'd recommend keeping the collision mesh as simple as possible, since this will affect the game performance. I've used multiple object in the tutorial example, just to make a point about combining objects to get more complex collision, but if this was a real project, I'd just use a simple cube.

If I were you, though, I'd just stick with how Bethesda did it with the mod object box in vanilla game, because that box would be far easier to find and pick up than the tiny object like recon scope.

Good luck with your project.

I don't want to use 3DSMax - that's what everyone is pointing me towards. It doesn't make sense that I can't rotate the position of a collision in NifSkope. There HAS to be a better, more all-in-one program to use for this kind of stuff. The number of features that NifSkope DOESN'T have far outweighs the features it DOES have.

What do teams like F4NV or the Capital Wasteland Project use? They've got HUNDREDS of new assets!

So I cracked and actually dug around until I found a direct download link for 3DS Max 2013... yaaaaay

And now I find out that it's only a 30-day trial and I have to shell out more than 1k to use this 8 year old program that isn't supported anymore. That's NOT going to fly. Any idea where I can... not shell out money for this?

@kalevala17 - that has also been discussed to death on the forums. It is not possible to purchase a license for that version of 3DSMax from Adobe, and no licensible later version works. You have only 2 viable methods - the 30 day trial (OS snapshot/VM software is your friend), or use the CK (via the SCOL method, DiodeLadder mentioned, to trick the CK into merging Collision).

Personally I have used both. Neither one is 'simple'. The CK could have had a 1 button 'add collision' (they know how to handle it after all) but...