how many people are still playing morrowind?

JazzBlack

still playing with a bunch of other ppl here https://www.domain.com/checkout?__token_timestamp__=1529435169&__token_val__=0a3c5229e9a135fc7e1e43cd4f34967c&search=Tes3mpCommunity&tld=com&flowid=25#/1 https://www.domain.com/checkout?__token_timestamp__=1529435169&__token_val__=0a3c5229e9a135fc7e1e43cd4f34967c&search=Tes3mpCommunity&tld=com&flowid=25#/1

Its a Tes3mp community that split from the main server, for those that dont know Tes3mp is basically Morrowind multiplayer and its alot of fun especially with the features the owner put in like player guilds, Owned homes, and events.

Edited by Raran0492

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get it in steam.

Morrowind has so much content and depth that by the time you got bored of it, and quit, the next time you play it again seems like a new experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started up another MW campaign over the weekend, after a couple of years playing mostly Mount & Blade, X3:Terran Conflict, and a couple of Paradox strategy games (Hearts of Iron 3 and Europa Universalis 3). After playing Morrowind extensively back before Oblivion came out, I was eager to try Oblivion, but it turned out to be missing practically all of the things that I liked about Morrowind. At this point, I've probably got an absolute minimum of 4000 hours into Morrowind, compared to less than 100 before I gave up on Oblivion. From everything I read and saw, Skyrim took the few remaining good elements left from Morrowind and watered them down even further, or removed them completely.

The most important critical difference was "failure": the "old school" RPGs like Daggerfall and Morrowind used the abilities of the character, not the player, to determine success or failure, and the objective for the player was to work within the constraints of the character, doing what the character would do under the circumstances. With player-skill game mechanics in the later titles, now you can have your Orc Barbarian pick difficult locks with ease, only because you as a player are capable of it, or else your agile and intelligent Bosmer thief can't pick a lock to save his life despite 90+ skill, purely because your shaky hands as a player are unable to master the mini-game. It''s now all about the player, not the character, and TES has clearly stepped over the line from RPGs with active combat to Action games with token RPG elements. Further, your Morrowind character has to sleep or use magic to regenerate health, and needs to sleep or use potions to restore their modest pool of magicka once it's been used up; magic is a strategic resource that needs to be carefully conserved until it's needed. In Oblivion, you've got rapid regeneration of magicka on the fly, but a comparatively shallow puddle that only allows for one or two tactical uses at a time; you can spam magicka every few minutes as long as you don't cast too many spells too closely, and there's no ability to "save up" more than a trivial amount at a time. I found it ridiculous to have my "mage" spending most of his combat engagements constantly blocking attacks until his magicka bar regenerated enough to cast again. Ideally, in a modern world, the "all or nothing" success or failure in the "old school" games could be moderated, so many of the failures would become "partial failures" or "marginal successes", but the "always succeed" aspect of the new games, with the AMOUNT of success being the only thing affected by skills, is disturbingly out of place in a RPG. Morrowind succeeded brilliantly as an RPG, but was pathetic as an Action game, whereas Oblivion and Skyrim failed in many respects as RPGs but handled the Action elements far better.

The use of text for most conversation (other than initial greetings, taunts, and a few other spoken lines here and there) instead of fully voiced dialog as in the later games, allowed for far more depth in conversation, many more topics, random bits of lore, and gossip, and the acknowledgement in conversation of things that the player did. Your actions DID affect the world around you, unlike in Oblivion where almost everything in an area automatically reset in 3 days if you weren't present.

Daggerfall and Morrowind used Attributes and Skills to determine the success or failure at various tasks, and Attributes not only contributed toward those chances of success, but in some cases limited the ability to advance or train at the related Skills. Oblivion watered down the effects of Attributes, making them almost meaningless in a game where "skill checks" rarely happened, and then Skyrim replaced them with Perks. From my understanding, Attributes were supposed to represent "who you are" in terms of natural abilities and inclinations, Skills were supposed to represent "what you learned" as an overall average indication of proficiency at specific tasks, and Perks were supposed to indicate unusual abilities, highly specific specializations, or other things too narrow or out of the ordinary to be defined by Skills. Morrowind could have used a Perk system to add flavor and further customization to the charater. Oblivion gutted Attributes and added "automatic" Perks which did nothing to differentiate one character from the next because EVERY character got them at the same skill level. Skyrim expanded Perks into a real system, but removed Attributes, so ALL characters run at the same speed and carry the same amount of weight. Sadly, no game made proper use of all three defining aspects to create a comprehensive character creation system.

I'm still amazed by the attention to detail and the interactive nature of the quests in Morrowind, where your progress in one faction can affect the Disposition of members of opposing factions, or where doing one quest can close off or open up other quests in other factions. The later games feel simplistic and shallow in comparison, and only the primitive graphics, clunky animations, and visually awkward combat keeps Morrowind from being the indisputably better RPG. I'm playing it again (heavily modded), and loving it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still playing. Haven't played since a couple of years back. A lot of nice new mods have come out though. I come back to it because of reasons that a lot of other players have stated already. Lore, unique setting, tons of choices. Its a really good game. Always have been.

Edited by cubanbface

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just started again. The first play through when it first came out took me 6 months to complete. Then sort of got lost in witcherland for about 10 years. Forgot which mods I used and there are so many now that improve almost every aspect of the game, which I thought was great the first time, so this will be interesting.

• 4 weeks later...