how many people are still playing morrowind?

JazzBlack

I'd long heard that Morrowind was a great game, but the graphics were a hurdle to overcome. However, after comparing WoW and The Witcher and some other games, and seeing some videos on Youtube showing how Morrowind looks with MGE and various other graphical improvement mods, I've been convinced to try it out. I'll be trying it out when it arrives in the next week or so, I expect.

In anticipation, I'm already gathering some mods for it, though of course I could use some recommendations in that respect.

You will love it, but be frustrated by the many zillions of mods. I would just note a couple: Better Bodies, and Non-generic NPCs. Get those before you get any others, and then search google for "essential Morrowind mods" and try them out one by one.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Better Bodies as well as a number of head/face replacers ready to go (Emma's looked like a good set) and THE Morrowind NPC Makeover. I've seen that ENBSeries can add Ambient Occlusion to the game, which looks beautiful, though reports show that it's tricky to get working satisfactorily. I've also downloaded Vality's grass mod, which is supposed to be able to add animated grass to the landscape, as well as Vality's tree mod. Not sure if that'll be better than the vanilla trees or not, but I liked the screenshots.

As for the Less Generic NPCs, my only concern is that it might make it harder for me to know what info is important for quests. Do you think that would be a problem?

Another problem is figuring out which town expansions would be best, since some probably conflict with each other (I see a number of different mods expand Balmora, for instance) but I think I'll delay installing any town expansions until I've played a while without them anyway. I do want to add a couple of house mods, though. At least a shack to get me started. And I don't know if the inventory system is similar to Oblivion or not (respawning containers, encumbrance, etc.) but the biggest cheat I allowed myself in Oblivion was a bag of holding. I'll probably try it without one at first to see if it's necessary.

Tchos

All "less generic mods" only add to the atmosphere of the towns and in no way affect the Morrowind vanilla game quests.

If you want to see a list of working mods for the game I have already posted one on

"the best mods, what are they?". That whole list works well

How is that possible, if it's such a great game? Spoiled by graphics? (I'm not judging!)

I got tomb raider one and two in 1997. Yup. I was 34 years old. I still love to play both those games and play them once every two years or so. Graphics be damned, that's some good fun there. I think since I grew up in the dark ages, (I was already a high school senior when my baby sister got PONG for Christmas), the graphics don't matter so much as the gameplay--the puzzle factor, the ability of the game to suck you in without the means of fancy visuals. I mean face it, RPG began around a kitchen table with imagination and nothing else. I remember Dungeons and Dragons when it was just a bunch of freaks yappin'.

Oh gosh, I'm doing the same thing as Tchos, I already started downloading Morrowind mods, made myself a beautiful desktop icon to my Morrowind Mod folder, like I did for Oblivion, (there are some pretty ones in DA to choose from). And I'm not sure when my game will arrive either. Probably next week. Tchos we should compare notes, I can't wait!

Definitely up for comparing notes. ^_^

Okay, I've downloaded the full Less Generic NPCs pack, and I'll check out those lists! (This one)

Is that "Balmore Expansion" the one by Princess Stomper? Her collection looks pretty expansive, and looks really nice.

Hi

I still play Morrowind. It along with oblivion are the games I never delete from my HD. I think Morrowind is a better game for scope, immersion and complexity. Oblivion is obviously better graphics wise, but if i want to loose myself in a game I play Morrowind. Plus its got tons of mods out to extend the replayabilty :biggrin:

When Morrowind came out, I was pretty young, so I never really got to appreciate it. In fact, I never even knew there was a main quest until after I stopped playing. Lol, a friend recommended the game for me, and when he was walking me through it, he just told me to drop the package for the dude or sell it, cause "it wasnt important". Ha. Well before Oblivion came out, I stopped playing, because i couldnt stand the fact that like 70% of the island was volcanic, disease-ridden ashlands. That's why I loved Oblivion so much, cause theres so much green. The only problem was that my computer could barely handle it, so I have to play on low graphics settings, and it was still slow. I still love the game, and think it surpasses Morrowind in every espect, except quests. I've done pretty much every quest in the game, and all thats left are a few master trainer quests, or boring ones where all u do is go in a cave. I tried going back to Morrowind to do the quests I never knew about before, but i just couldnt go back. Not so much the graphics as it is stuff like the repetitive attacking motions and poor combat system (and all of the other comforts of Oblivion, like fast travelling, quest markers, people actually talking, you know). Recently, Oblivion stopped working for me. Once i went on for a few hours, then it crashed. Next time, i played for like an hour, and then it happened again. It kept going on, and each time it was less and less time (20 min, 10 min, 5 min) and now it wont even start up. That's why, over the past few days i started playing Morrowind again. I dunno, this time I could tolerate it, and I'm really enjoying it now, because it has so many quests and places to explore. Oblivion just had a few major cities, and then some tiny 3 person settlements, (Ok, maybe thats one more win for Morrowind-oh and I actually liked the inventory system a bit better, cause I'm totally a pack mule) but Morrowind has a seeming uncountable number of locations. Unfortunately, now, after one and a half days of fun, I'm getting the same problem with Morrowind as I did with Oblivion, but now it gives me a message when I try to start it up: "Render Creation Error: 'Unknown frame buffer mode.'"....? Well either way this anecdote was completely pointless, and all I had to say was "yes i just started playing it again", but as you might be able to tell, I'm pretty bored, cause all of my friends are on vacation, none of my games are working and I'm having some really weird Wii troubles too that I've never seen before. Happy Easter