Is modding dead for HZD

fragsnip

I came onto the forum looking for tips as to how to mod the game.

With Skyrim/Skyrim SE there's the Creation Kit for modders to use and well established apps and tutorials for virtually anything you could want to do as a modder.

With HZD, there's almost nothing.

I can mod Greedfall just using Notepad++, although it takes a bit of getting your head around the source code. I've published a mod for Skyrim SE.

With HZD, I've so far failed to open any of the relevant files.

All I wanted to do was modify the merchant recipes for the Frozen Wilds armour and weapons to offer a reduction of 2, 4 or 8 'Bluegleam' on each item. It was primarily for personal use since I'd started NG+ on a high difficulty and couldn't be bothered doing all the Hunting Trials to get the full set. If it worked I'd offer it up as a downloadable mod on Nexus.

I'll keep trying, but hopefully someone will see this and point me in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

I came onto the forum looking for tips as to how to mod the game.

With Skyrim/Skyrim SE there's the Creation Kit for modders to use and well established apps and tutorials for virtually anything you could want to do as a modder.

With HZD, there's almost nothing.

I can mod Greedfall just using Notepad++, although it takes a bit of getting your head around the source code. I've published a mod for Skyrim SE.

With HZD, I've so far failed to open any of the relevant files.

All I wanted to do was modify the merchant recipes for the Frozen Wilds armour and weapons to offer a reduction of 2, 4 or 8 'Bluegleam' on each item. It was primarily for personal use since I'd started NG+ on a high difficulty and couldn't be bothered doing all the Hunting Trials to get the full set. If it worked I'd offer it up as a downloadable mod on Nexus.

I'll keep trying, but hopefully someone will see this and point me in the right direction.

That is sad to hear because I was so hype when I heard the PC was announced. I played it on the ps4 pro and back then I was like this game deserved to be on PC, too much untapped potential. I was like what it would be like to play this game on 60 plus frames. I was barely getting 40 on the ps4 pro. Now the PC version is here and the devs gave the middle finger to modding community, that is so sad to hear. I thought because of the buggy launch it drove modders away but now I know.

• 4 months later...

It's dead because...

Here's the link to modding server - https://discord.gg/hFcA4wrd7R

... "to access the modding channels you must be part of this server for a period of time. It should happen automatically after some time. There are additional modding channels available once you obtain specific roles."

Elitism and paranoia.

I'm a Discord member. I've used it for Skyrim SE mods, mainly. I had an invite to join the HZD forum, which I've just seen. I've joined and can access the forums. I've posted asking for basic guides. I don't consider myself to be 'elite'. I've published a mod on Nexus, but that wasn't at all required to join and post on Discord. Recalling how I got an invite to Discord, it was through a Swedish modder that I was collaborating with for their Skyrim SE mod. We were struggling to work together and merge our work due to limitations in file size transfer on other platforms. Debating which elements we wanted to keep, merge or discard was painfully slow. He invited me onto Discord and when we could chat live, things went much better.

I think you have to establish yourself as a modder. The Nexus community is great, free for all and all levels are welcome. You do need to have some talent, though. I had some ability when I started my own personal mods but needed a lot of help at first. Help that was freely given. Thanks to this and hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours of personal work, I improved to the point I could release a polished mod.

Call me a snob, but there are times that I don't want to trawl through 50 requests for ridiculous mods by people who simply can't be bothered to learn the mechanics of the game they're playing. Otherwise, I always try to keep an open mind and look for things that are reasonable for other people. I've not yet found either Nexus or Discord to be snobbish. I don't get daft requests on Discord, mostly. In that sense it's elitist. It has to be done, though.

Just thought I'd say this.

It's certainly not paranoia.

If I find otherwise about the Discord HZD forum, I'll tell it straight. I'll also object on the Discord HZD forum... that's fair.