[LE] How to port assets from Fallout: 3 to Elder Scrolls V?

Cuppajava

Good day,

I don't usually use Nexus, namely the community part, so pardon me if I do anything wrong.

I'm interested in porting assets from Fallout 3 to Skyrim, specifically some of the ruined homes and buildings, maybe some of the car wrecks too. This is entirely new to me, since the only engine I ever messed with is the Source engine.

I have tried to do some homework on my own, but so far all the results are otherwise out of date by years, or don't pertain to what I need. I did learn that Fallout 3 and New Vegas run on Gamebyro, an older engine different from Skyrim.

My hope is to be able to figure out how to port models from Fallout 3 to Skyrim so I can fiddle around with them in the creation kit, maybe create a personal mod or two.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Hello Cuppajava, it is possible. You see, you're only partially correct about the engine part. Yes, Fallout 3 and New Vegas do run on Gamebryo, but so does every other Bethesda game to date. Gamebryo isn't really the game engine in a sense. It's more like the framework for the engine; the host for the assets. The Fallout games that you mentioned just run on Gamebryo v4.0, which is it's original version. Skyrim uses v5.0.

So the premise is - the different versions of Gamebryo have different .nif model versions, and if you want to transfer models from a game that uses an older version of Gamebryo to a game that uses a new version of it, the assets must be converted.

Let me know if you're in to taking this any further.