West Virginia’s Crime Rates Decline After State Adopts Constitutional Carry Law FBI data indicates a steady decline in violent crime since 2016

richroots

West Virginia’s Crime Rates Decline After State Adopts Constitutional Carry Law FBI data indicates a steady decline in violent crime since 2016 when the policy was approved by the state’s legislature

I am generally uncomfortable around weapons and firearms. I am mostly on the fence about this issue. Perhaps if I took or could afford gun lessons or lived in US I live in Canada.

Here in Canada weapons bans seemingly have to lead to an increase in crime. I don't like the idea of carrying a gun or ending someones life to protect mine. But I can see the logic in the self defense for women and other vulnerable people.

I again am firmly on the fence on this issue.

Should constitutional carry be implemented in the US as a whole? Is it really safter? In the microcosm of West Virginia according to the FBI the data indicates a steady decline of violent crime.

That means less violence not more, less bad people hurting innocent people. Which is good news.. There are some takeaways however West Virginia already has a gun culture. Other places that don't misuse of firearms could be well dangerous in other places besides west virgin where untrained people have access to weapons. Data indicates that less gun crime has happened.. Is this simply an anomaly? Could this be applied to the rest of the western world safely? If so why? or Why not?

I can clearly see the pros and cons of this argument and I'm on the fence.

Please try to be civil in the debate and objective.

Thank you.

Discuss.

Sources https://timcast.com/news/west-virginias-crime-rates-decline-after-state-adopts-constitutional-carry-law/

Edited by richroots

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people are taught and even encouraged to responsibly defend themselves, including even training them in doing so, the populace becomes safer as a whole.

Teach a village with a few thieves on how to fence and sword fight, the thieves will be less likely to rob or pick a fight with villagers who they know are trained on how to fight back.

Give an entire state legalized allowance to carry firearms - assuming they are properly trained and certified in it (in most US states, handgun training is required to even possess handguns) and you have the small group of criminals who are now less likely to attack or rob people or businesses as they know they may be packing.

Why take the risk of ending up dead or worse? I see it as a win, then again I am American, so it's understandable that others may see it differently.

Do

When people are taught and even encouraged to responsibly defend themselves, including even training them in doing so, the populace becomes safer as a whole.

Teach a village with a few thieves on how to fence and sword fight, the thieves will be less likely to rob or pick a fight with villagers who they know are trained on how to fight back.

Give an entire state legalized allowance to carry firearms - assuming they are properly trained and certified in it (in most US states, handgun training is required to even possess handguns) and you have the small group of criminals who are now less likely to attack or rob people or businesses as they know they may be packing.

Why take the risk of ending up dead or worse? I see it as a win, then again I am American, so it's understandable that others may see it differently.

Do you think that it can be applied to the western world as a whole safely? I have my doubts. Maybe with education, but a lot of people recoil at the very mention of weapons. One journalist mentions that he got PTSD from just trying a fire arm.

Edited by richroots

One journalist mentions that he got PTSD from just trying a fire arm.

Ha ha ha ha...

That was pretty funny, honestly. That sort of thing makes me both laugh and feel very sorry for that person at the same time. I can't in all seriousness imagine a man so traumatized by firing a gun with some of the lowest recoil be traumatizing... Shotguns have far more recoil, and can actually bruise your shoulder if you're really weak and untrained.

Source: Shot guns when I was about 6.

As for it being applied to the western world as a whole, safely? With education and proper training, yes. People too insane or deranged would be disqualified of course.

As far as defending yourself, should you really feel the need to, taking up something physical, like martial arts or boxing can be just as rewarding, though more stressful on the body. Weapons in general don't require long weeks and months of training just to pick up and use, however. But like anything, from shooting a gun to throwing a punch, it takes time to master. If you want to defend yourself from crime, you're going to need to put in some dedication.

Criminals always look for those too weak to fight back.

An armed society, is a polite society.

Folks are less likely to try and rob/assault/otherwise harm someone, if there is the possibility their potential victim might be armed.

Texas recently passed their version of Constitutional carry. No training required, no permit required, If you can legally own a firearm, then you can carry it on your person.

This is why I despise 'gun free zones'. Please notice, that the majority of 'mass shootings' actually happen in gun free zones. The shooters want to go to a place that they know for a fact, that their victim pool will be unarmed. No one will be able to shoot back. This is also why they generally have a pretty high body count.....

Want to dramatically reduce the number of mass shootings? Ban Gun Free Zones.

• 2 weeks later...

For most of the nation, violent crime was in downward trend for the last couple decades in any event. So far, I haven't seen ANY definitive study that shows gun laws have any affect on violent crime whatsoever. Chicago used to have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but, they were still the murder capitol of the US..... (following washington DC for a while, until the heller decision.....) Its a real mixed bag on gun laws vs crime. Of course, if there weren't any guns, there would be a LOT less GUN crime, however, crime rates would still not decline any faster than what they were. The pandemic has had a real negative affect though, and it seems violent crime is climbing in most of the country. (or, at least, in high population centers....... which shouldn't come as a surprise.)

For most of the nation, violent crime was in downward trend for the last couple decades in any event. So far, I haven't seen ANY definitive study that shows gun laws have any affect on violent crime whatsoever. Chicago used to have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but, they were still the murder capitol of the US..... (following washington DC for a while, until the heller decision.....) Its a real mixed bag on gun laws vs crime. Of course, if there weren't any guns, there would be a LOT less GUN crime, however, crime rates would still not decline any faster than what they were. The pandemic has had a real negative affect though, and it seems violent crime is climbing in most of the country. (or, at least, in high population centers....... which shouldn't come as a surprise.)

What does all that blah blah have to do with the discussion of the impact of West Virginia's changes in law and it's impact on crime in West Virginia, or the article I posted?

What does all that blah blah have to do with the discussion of the impact of West Virginia's changes in law and it's impact on crime in West Virginia, or the article I posted?

Because just like everywhere else, the gun laws didn't make a measurable difference, either way.

• 3 weeks later...

fact check - no offence richroots - but what you are talking about ?

if you are not aware of misleading statistics regarding gun law and crime i recommend to read this first - at least the conclusion.

it seems to be clear nra lobbyists will never stop to spread such "alternative facts". if you read this on social media you should be a least warned.

if you think facts are what you believe are facts the first thing you should do is to verify the info - but not by simply relying on nra supported or social media sources.

if you do that you argue on social media conspiracy level.

the mass shooting peak in 2018 does not mean the u.s. is now safer in 2021 just because such extreme shootings do not happen repeatedly every year. but watching the statistics over four decades you can not deny an overall increase. compared with european statistics the u.s statistics looks even worser. so especially nra and weapon lobbyists should think about this development and verify their arguments.