West Virginia’s Crime Rates Decline After State Adopts Constitutional Carry Law FBI data indicates a steady decline in violent crime since 2016

richroots

Europeans don't have the second amendment. In fact, most of them are flat out banned from owning firearms altogether, so, that really isn't a relevant comparison. "Mass Shootings" seem to be, for the most part, an "American" thing. There have been similar incidents in other countries, and some with pretty high body counts, but, those were singular incidents, not something that happens on a regular basis.

I also find it amusing (in a sad sort of way) that California is the capitol of mass shootings..... The state that has some of the most restrictive gun laws on the books. Yet they still seem to think that passing more laws is the answer. All evidence to the contrary.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, it is really your opinion that my comparison is not relevant just because of an existing second amendment ? sounds funny. so a problem is not a problem because a second amendment exists... so any debate about weapons and mass shootings ends now because of the second amendment. i'm impressed! you solved all weapon and shooting related problems simply by declaring the existence of the second amendment.

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right to keep and bear arms. It was ratified on December 15, 1791.

this seems quite along time ago.

do you really think this relict was planned to be used in a modern society in the 21 century ? and if not may it be possible at least to think about its need ?

it may still help to support a capitol storm and to support congress members to legally fire their weapons but does it help a society to be a more modern and open society ?

ok, it is really your opinion that my comparison is not relevant just because of an existing second amendment ? sounds funny. so a problem is not a problem because a second amendment exists... so any debate about weapons and mass shootings ends now because of the second amendment. i'm impressed! you solved all weapon and shooting related problems simply by declaring the existence of the second amendment.

WTF are you talking about?

Comparing the frequency of mass shootings between a country loaded with guns, and countries with very few, and you are surprised when there aren't that many in the countries with very few? Wow.

See, one of the biggest problems you have is, you don't understand the culture here at all. You are making the same type of assumptions that our government made thinking that middle eastern countries wanted democracy..... They project their values onto people they don't even remotely understand, and then are surprised when things go to pot, at a rapid pace.

nobody urges any american to load a gun. they do it since 1791 legally because of the second amendment as you say. because of the nra, nra lobbyists, trump and any amendment supporter it is still valid with the same wording as it was in 1791. i just ask if this amendment is still a help or really needed for modern society or if it is more a relict, sponsoring weapon dealer and the nra in the 21 century. if you think it is still worth and it is the only way to stabilize the american society while paying the price with highest homicide and deadly crime rates just go for it and support it.

sounds to me that you do not trust the people in your country to handle daily private life without weapons. if i see what happens in u.s. it concerns me a lot but sadly not the way it should concern you as a member of your society and other weapon supporters. i don't think this is the "modern society" anyone wishes and needs - stopping and shooting -weaponless- people doing nothing but running or jogging in the daylight. a video two month later showed how american society and private white supremacist neighborhood watch with weapons works. i'm sure these nra supporting neighborhood watchers argue all the same way. this is only one of many examples of supremacist vigilant justice as a tip of the iceberg and in this case traced randomly by video. at least i do not need more examples.

nobody urges any american to load a gun. they do it since 1791 legally because of the second amendment as you say. because of the nra, nra lobbyists, trump and any amendment supporter it is still valid with the same wording as it was in 1791. i just ask if this amendment is still a help or really needed for modern society or if it is more a relict, sponsoring weapon dealer and the nra in the 21 century. if you think it is still worth and it is the only way to stabilize the american society while paying the price with highest homicide and deadly crime rates just go for it and support it.

sounds to me that you do not trust the people in your country to handle daily private life without weapons.

Erm, we don't have the highest crime rates, nor even homicide rates (regardless of weapon) in the world. We don't even make it into the top ten. Not even the top 50..... Up until recently, (last 18 months or so) our violent crime rate was on a downward trend, even though gun laws were getting looser. (it's all available on the FBI crime statistics website.) The pandemic seems to have had a rather bad effect on our population.

Something else to consider, if you exclude a mere five cities from the statistics (all democrat controlled, I might add) the US is actually safer than a significant percentage of the world. (including the EU.)

I don't trust anyone, that hasn't proven trustworthy. The fact is, there IS crime here. Even where I live. I am far enough out from any help, that even if I called them, by the time they got here, it would already be way too late. They would get here in time to clean up the mess. So, it is not just my RIGHT to defend my home/family, it is my RESPONSIBILITY to do so. I am unwilling to allow criminals free reign to do as they will until the cops decide to finally show up. I am also unwilling to entrust my safety to the government, or it's agencies. The courts here have already made it clear that it is NOT the cops duty to protect me. (even though that is part of their motto...... something I don't quite get.....) So, the cops will still get here in time to clean up the mess, but it will be a dramatically different mess than if I were unable to defend myself, my home, and my family.

Erm, we don't have the highest crime rates, nor even homicide rates (regardless of weapon) in the world. We don't even make it into the top ten. Not even the top 50..... Up until recently, (last 18 months or so) our violent crime rate was on a downward trend, even though gun laws were getting looser. (it's all available on the FBI crime statistics website.) The pandemic seems to have had a rather bad effect on our population.

really ?

the conclusion of the scientific research for the lazy reader:

CONCLUSIONS

Overall, our results show that the United States, which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other highincome countries. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us.

so what does your link will tell us ? u.s numbers are better than el salvador ones ?

really ?

the conclusion of the scientific research for the lazy reader:

CONCLUSIONS

Overall, our results show that the United States, which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other highincome countries. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us.

LOLOLOLOL. Oh gee, the country with the most guns, has the highest gun crime rate? Really? THAT is your argument??? Seriously?

You must have missed where I talked about violent crime in a previous post. Guns are not the only method of committing violent crime. And yeah, our statistics on that are rather high, because of FIVE DEMOCRAT CONTROLLED CITIES, that have the highest murder rates in the country. Remove those five cities from the statistics, and the US is SAFER than most of the rest of the world. (crime-wise, at least....)

Gang violence accounts for most of the gun crime here. Generally, gang members killing other gang members. I would point out, that the folks doin' the shootin' there, are using weapons obtained illegally, and a fair few of them are barred from owning/purchasing/possessing firearms in any event. So, your answer is to pass another law, that they will also ignore? That is as idiotic as our democrat politicians.

In case you haven't noticed, a "ban" does not magically remove anything from society. It simply makes it illegal. We tried that with alcohol, didn't work. Tried it with drugs, didn't work. Now you think we should try it with guns? Why in the world would you ever think it would work 'this time'? You are familiar with the definition of insanity, are you not?

tell this your american ph d scientist brothers if you think their conclusion is stupid or worth a "lololol" comment. i just linked their article, which impresses me more than your arguments (?) . it is time for me to leave this debate. if there are any serious questions i will try to answer them, good night.

tell this your american ph d scientist brothers if you think their conclusion is stupid or worth a lololol comment. i just linked their article, which impresses me more than your arguments.

I don't expect academia to have the slightest clue how the real world works. They live in their insulated campuses, do their studies, publish their papers, reach their conclusions, and make recommendations, none of which, will actually work in the real world.

Just like you, they have a rather simplistic view of the world. You can legislate all you want, but, it won't change anything at all.

I think the biggest problem with them, and you, is you simply don't understand the culture. In my view, you simply cannot understand, you grew up with different values, and your views were well established before you ever came here. I also suspect you weren't here long either. It's a lot like our politicians thinking that overthrowing dictatorships, and installing democratic governments, will solve all of some societies problems, even though they have been proven wrong on that time, and time again.

You think guns are a problem? Fine, then don't buy one. Don't own one, don't pick one up. That is your choice to make. Well, at least, HERE it is your choice..... Most countries don't even give you that choice.

For me, the issue of whether or not to carry a gun for protection boils down to one thing. Are you prepared to pull the trigger? If you aren't prepared to shoot another human being, then the argument for carrying a gun for protection is moot. Even if you have trained extensively and could shoot to wound rather than kill, you still have to fire on another person. Regardless of the law, there is no point in having a weapon you're unwilling to use. In fact, it's more likely that your gun will become their gun. I am a single woman living alone and would seem to be someone reasonably expected to have a gun for protection. However, I've never gotten one simply because I don't know if I could pull that trigger.