Can't Export .Nif in Blender

surg23

Hi there,

Blender let's me import and modify nifs from Fo3, but when I go to export it throws a bunch of errors that I haven't the first clue about. I only made some basic changes to the poly meshes, though completely experimental at this stage.

I tried just importing the skeleton and/or Geometry but literally nothing imported that way. I'm extremely new to this stuff so it's probably something really stupid.

PgQPNIR.jpg

You can't use Blender 2.93 to export .nif files for Fallout 3/Fallout: New Vegas. You can use it for modeling or other work, but you need to export the work as an .obj file, import the .obj file into Blender 2.49 and then export the file as a .nif file.

Of course, you can always eliminate that by using Blender 2.49 for modeling for FO3/FNV.

You can't use Blender 2.93 to export .nif files for Fallout 3/Fallout: New Vegas. You can use it for modeling or other work, but you need to export the work as an .obj file, import the .obj file into Blender 2.49 and then export the file as a .nif file.

Of course, you can always eliminate that by using Blender 2.49 for modeling for FO3/FNV.

This is very confusing to me. So the latest versions of Blender lost the option to edit meshes? I don't understand the point of the Blender niftools addon and the edit mesh tools addon if the program can't even export the work you do. Seems kind of backwards to me lol.

I will try the older version now. Thanks much!

Well I tried Blender 2.49 and installed all the requirements: Python2.66, PyFFI-2.1 and Blendernifscripts-2.59 but it throws a python error when attempting to import a nif.

I1Juzyx.jpg

I looked in the Blender directory and the .nif import script is there, so I don't know what's up with that.

Edit:

I have tried setting up Python path to use: C:\PYTHON26;C:\PYTHON26\DLLs;C:\PYTHON26\LIB;C:\PYTHON26\LIB\LIB-TK (which is my current install path for Python 2.66, but Blender still can't find it.

Blender now says:

C:\PYTHON26\LIB\site.py:150: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Checking for installed Python... C:\PYTHON26\LIB\site.py:150: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6
No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.
Edit: Okay it's working now. Turns out Blender 2.49 does not need the extra scripts to import/export .nif. But apparently it can only use the Python version native to it's own compiled version, in this case Python25.
Edited by surg23

I just used 2.49 with python2.54 and nothing else was needed. I wish this worked for the latest version of Blender as I find it much easier to use. 2.49 is a bit crusty lol.

Not sure if this is in your field of expertise, but would you also know why the poly mesh does not perfectly correlate with in-game collisions?

I have reworked several models and they work in-game, but I find it strange that you have to shrink the poly mesh deep inside the object to eliminate collisions protruding outside of it. I'm going off the assumption that the poly is the only element that dictates collision data for these models. I have considered the possibility that Blender is simply incapable of translating the collision data properly, and/or it is lost during the import/export process.

At any rate, thanks a lot for the help.