What's the best RPG game?

Dark_Deadra_lord

I'll admit that they are linear RPGs, but they are RPGs nonetheless. In no way do I feel that they are the best. FFVII had a great storyline and setting. FFVI was just awesome. But Baldur's Gate, The Sword Coast, BGII, and Throne of Bhaal completely dominate in the rpg category.

KOTOR allows you to choose good or evil, but it's still linear.

In no way, shape, or form is Sudeki a JRPG. FF are JRPGs. Tales of Symphonia is a JRPG. Super Mario RPG is a JRPG.

KOTOR allows you to choose good or evil, but it's still linear.

Yeah, but you don't know how linear it is untill you play it a second time... There is this illusion that your choices make a difference. I first played a good character and saved the galaxy, and I thought "Wow, what would happen if I did this the evil way?" and so I tried, and the same sh*t happened and the same lines were spoken nomatter what I did... Was a bit disappointed with that, but the evil ending rocked! B)

Slaiv... you are calling Dark0ne wrong...

If people are going to start calling Final Fantasy an RPG, and not only an RPG, but THE BEST RPG, then I'm going to have to add it to the unmentionables list...or kill anyone who ranks FF as their favourite RPG of all time...

I'm not joking.

these are Dark0ne's words...

HE even says that FF is NOT an RPG!

Having a set storyline doesn't make a game linear... Every game has to have a storyline, the difference is what peregrine pointed out...

Part of the definition of role-playing involves creating a character and deciding their personality, actions, and having the story/world reflect those choices. Take away that and you've got at best an action game with a few tactics options, and at worst, a somewhat interactive movie.

People are confusing RPG and adventure games... there is a difference...

If I'm correct in my thinking, rpgs originated from D&D (the rpg). D&D has certain characteristics:

1) All of the living entities in it have health. They aren't just dead or not dead.

2) The concept of leveling, experience, and skills.

3) And most importantly, it contains the character that you want to be, who interacts with others any way imaginable in a general story that does not have a set outcome.

I agree with CecilofLore that D&Ds are the only true RPGs because they are the only game that meets all three of those criteria. Morrowind doesn't, for example, because you can't kick people, or even talk to them.

Slaiv, you say FF is an rpg: The mainstream definition of rpg is numbers 1 and 2; that only partially meets the criteria. If we said that just partial conformity made a game an rpg, we might as well call Doom an rpg because, after all, it meets #1. You can't say four wheels is a car, where's the engine and body?

Yes, it does. ;)

Since every game has a story line.... no it doesn't.

Even in the most non-linear games, there IS a main quest to follow at will.

Look at Ultima 7. It had a storyline and you could go anywhere you wanted right from the beginning of the game.

~Val

• 3 months later...

While I realise the post prior to this was thread necromancy, but I'd still like to add something.

By the definitions many of you are giving as to what an rpg is, with the definitions you give... "an rpg is a game where you chose your character for the storyline, you do what YOU want and you can raise skills get new items etc."...

But then... we could classify many games that aren't rpg as rpgs. Off the top of my head NSFU 2 think about it, you chose your car, you mod it, you chose which races you race in or just cruise around... fits the description BUT YOU'D HAVE TO BE INSANE TO COUNT IT AS AN RPG.

Because if this is the definition for rpgs then 1) it opens the floodgates for games that aren't rpgs to be called rpgs.

2) games that ARE rpgs are shut out because they were somewhat lacking.

Okay, so perhaps that's not the CORRECT definition of an rpg, so what is? D&D perhaps? but if this game counts as "the rpg" then D&D has become it's own genre whereby games are ranked to it by their likeness to it?

So what am I saying an rpg is? I'm not, I'm saying that rpg's should be able to be different and NOT have to stick to some code that one another game came up with otherwise the only thing different between one rpg and the next is the storyline, and the visuals.

Archived