Adding dirty water disease immunity to Lead Belly rank 3

Faunts

I want to make Lead Belly a bit more useful in Survival by allowing you to drink from dirty water sources without contracting diseases, but I only have an intermediate level of knowledge with xEdit and I don't know how to go about it. Lead Belly 3 doesn't even have a Magic Effect that I can see.

There are two relevant Magic Effects I found though, 'HC_DrinkDirtyWaterEffect' and 'HC_DrinkWaterEffect'. The only difference between them is the property bDirtyWater, which is set to true and false, respectively. I was thinking I could add something to Lead Belly that would make it so this value always returns false.

Does anybody know how to implement this?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting

Disease risk is handled in HC_Manager based on keywords that attach to consumables. It would be cool if Lead Belly could progressively downgrade those risks. Because in Survival, disease is a much bigger threat than a few rads.

Brute force approach, you could hack that script. Also brute force, you could remove or replace the keywords, conditional (how?) on the rank of Lead Belly.

Also note there's a 4th rank of Lead Belly from Far Harbor, and some bugs / undocumented features you should be aware of, so check the Wiki.

As an added complication although the disease keywords are added to food and drink, I'm not sure how the game handles drinking dirty water directly from the environment as opposed to from consuming an inventory item. Does it pop a dirty water item into your inventory (would explain why you can go over-encumbered while drinking from a pump)? Idk

I have an old (big) thread on Steam about this, I will try to link it here. It may help all though it doesn't directly answer your question.

Yeah thinking about it you are probably going to have to hack the script. I can't off the top of my head think how you are going to do it with just keywords and MGEFs.

The way Lead Belly is implemented IIRC is that there is a conditional added to each consumable that reduces the rads of the consumable based on the rank of Lead Belly.

Maybe one thing you could do is use this same conditional to reduce the disease risk pool by (up to) the same amount as dirty water increases it? That would handle the increase in disease risk pool but it would not handle the instant disease risk check (roll) that is triggered by high risk events of which (iirc) dirty water is one. It would be wrong to have Lead Belly actually net-lower your disease risk pool. So that's hard to solve other than by removing/altering the keyword or hacking the script.

Hazy but iirc there is an event timer (5 game minutes?) on the 'immediate' disease check so maybe you could have your conditional on the consumable item also attempt to kill the timer event before it triggers

What would be a lot simpler, and probably not too far from your basic concept, would be to have Lead Belly increase resistance to disease from all sources, not just dirty water. Most (not all) sources are ingested anyway.

There are global variables that you could set in the different ranks of Lead Belly. These affect the disease pool's ceiling and floor, and how much it drops by over time.

What would be a lot simpler, and probably not too far from your basic concept, would be to have Lead Belly increase resistance to disease from all sources, not just dirty water. Most (not all) sources are ingested anyway.

There are global variables that you could set in the different ranks of Lead Belly. These affect the disease pool's ceiling and floor, and how much it drops by over time.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I went through pretty much the same thought process trying to think up how to implement this and that was the same conclusion I came to. In the end I don't think I'll bother since I do like the element of risk that diseases add so I wouldn't want to add complete immunity, and learning how to script for this tiny mod isn't something I have the dedication nor time for right now. Maybe one day.