Now to start off I know that FNIS, XP32, Dual Sheath Redux and Immersive Animations have this partially covered already...
However I was wondering if it's even possible to do the following (and if it is then who's game to try, because I wouldn't have a clue where to start and, frankly, in my last year of study I wouldn't have the time):
To make a fully modulated (that is you pick and choose which parts you want) mod that includes;
1. Repositioning of shields onto backs, with an animation to draw/sheathe included (that presumably detects if you have a shield equipped or not).
2. Repositions bolt and arrow quivers (like in Chesko's belt-fastened quivers) with new draw/sheathe animations included (hopefully with optional compatibility for closer quivers+longer arrows, Immersive Weapons, Crossbow Collection, etc.)
3. Keeps the 1h sword at the left hip with sheathe, but puts the 2x1h swords on the back (as in DSR) with animations to fit.
4. Keeps the 1h dagger at the left hip with sheathe, but puts the 2x1h daggers on the back (as in DSR) with animations to fit.
5. Places and provides animations for dual axes/maces/staves/etc. (DSR has already done this quite well).
6. Allows for a cross combination of multiple weapon types that do not require out-of-game manipulation to work.
That is to say you can use dual swords on back, then unequip the left-hand sword and the remaining sword will move to your left hip, then equip a shield and the shield will go to your back and all the while the animations change to fit the weapon type and combination you are using.
Of course this would result in a huge amount of combinations, the shield alone would have;
Sword + Shield, Mace + Shield, Dagger + Shield, Axe + Shield, Stave + Shield, Spell/Unarmed + Shield. (In and out of sneaking)
Adding a new element for dual weapons and cross-combination would have, for example in a sword, placement and animation for;
Sword + Sword, Sword + Dagger, Sword + Mace, Sword + Axe, Sword + Stave, Sword + Unarmed.
=> Then the reverse in the opposite hand =>
Sword + Sword, Dagger + Sword, Mace + Sword, Axe + Sword, Stave + Sword, Unarmed + Sword.
Shield will always be on back, as will 2H weapons and staves, axes/maces will always be on the hips (unless someone comes up with a better spot).
However with swords and daggers, in a dual wield situation the swords or daggers will always be on the back, when wielding just one in the right hand and a spell/unarmed or any other weapon in the left hand the sword and dagger will remain on the back.
Using a sword/dagger with a shield will always put the sword/dagger on the left hip.
Add it all up with the 6 weapon types (Sword, Mace, Axe, Dagger, Stave and Spell/Unarmed) and that's a lot of animations and combinations. Which is probably why this kind of variability wasn't implemented in the base game. Even though it would be awesome.
Now I realise that this is a huge ask and a massive undertaking. I myself wouldn't even know where to start with a construction of a mod on this scale, in fact it may not even be possible due to engine limitations (I haven't looked into it, and this post is also for me to find out if its even possible), but I thought I'd put it out there for anyone who'd like to wrestle with the issue.
Edited by ChaChaLoco, 01 August 2013 - 06:56 AM.