Heavy Traffic ×

How to remove censorship and make the Amazon a woman again?

Antartic

Well, Blizzard have spoken about why they censored and made ugly the Amazon (and all characters in general), here:

Basically they claim that didn't want characters looking as if they "come out of a nightclub."

So... a woman can kill hundreds of demons with lightning spears but the unbelievably thing is her beauty. Thanks for making fantasy a bit more BORING Blizz.

Ok, let their wokism alone and let's focus on what we want: I also read that now it is more difficult to mod the game, I think it is mainly a thing about TCP/IP, to LAN multiplayer or so, not affecting visual changes. But since there aren't yet mods that fix appearances (including the always popular nude mods), I want to understand how difficult is to change appearance of the characters. It is just the necessity to make all the 3D model again? (which it is understandable that it is the most time consuming thing by far). Or there are also major problems to edit the main game?

I want to understand this cause I won't buy anything until I can remove at least the main wokism from my entertainment.

I also want to contribute to removing the unnecessary social justice changes to the game with some models that are true to the original. I can use blender well enough, but I don't understand how to extract the models from the game files. A few basic graphic mods are rolling through now, if someone would take the time to do a short write up on how to extract the models for editing that would be really awesome.

Guest deleted34304850

surely if you want it that badly, your inner rage at injustice will power you to learn how to do it without someone holding your hand? i mean, come on, use the power of frustration to drive your desires to see large chested pixels.

I was going to stay out of this but I can't help myself. I can only imagine how terrible the world you live on must be if you think a billion dollar corporation made decisions about a multi million dollar project based on what the so called woke people on twitter would think about it.

It's called a unifying aesthetic. It's absurd to think that the company that gave us night elves is censoring by creating a strong woman that actually looks like she could hold her own in a fight and has probably been through a few.

That being said you're very welcome to make your mod.

Edited by TRCMods

I also want to contribute to removing the unnecessary social justice changes to the game with some models that are true to the original. I can use blender well enough, but I don't understand how to extract the models from the game files. A few basic graphic mods are rolling through now, if someone would take the time to do a short write up on how to extract the models for editing that would be really awesome.

if someone would take the time to do a short write up on how to extract the models for editing that would be really awesome.

agree......need tutorial........

I can't speak for OP, but I don't think it has anything to do with Twitter; I don't recall him mentioning twitter either though. I believe the reason is because modern day feminist civil rights groups throw frivolous lawsuits at billion dollar corporations nonstop with no chance of winning to the point where they're so tired of settling out of court and sinking money into it that they actually hire staff to tell them what must be done in order to appease them. Blizzard literally has "cultrual inclusion and social justice" coordinators to tell them what they must do in order to appease these groups and avoid any negative backlash. Blizzard certainly doesn't want any negative articles written about them right now considering they're currently being assaulted by one such frivolous lawsuit. At some point (probably post lawsuit) it seems like they went back through the game to wash out even more things that these groups would find offensive by removing anything that even remotely sexualizes women in any way, or that could be construed this way. I suspect there was a second wash because there is one spot they missed where a nude female breast can be viewed on a corpse in act 2.

The other argument that would be made is that they're doing this to appease China's stricter censorship laws, but this argument is invalid because it would have taken hardly any extra effort for them to release a slightly different version for China than the rest of the world like they always do.

These changes were made solely for the purpose of avoiding any negative attention from media by not appeasing militant social justice feminists, because such is the sad world we live in that causing them offense costs money. These changes weren't made to the benefit of the target demographic in this game in anyway, because we in the majority of this demographic as heterosexual males have no problem with the sexualizing of women, and besides that, the overwhelming majority of us also wanted a faithful recreation of this game, and these changes are not a faithful reconstruction. Although, it's not uncommon to find people virtue signaling online in defense of them because they think it makes them sound superior to others.

That being said, I don't think it's ideal as a moderator that you've only decided to censor my comments here choosing not to censor the gay pride guy's because you agree with his argument and don't support our choice to pursue the development of this kind of mod because you feel pious about the topic. Nothing I said was any more provocative or offensive than his initial comment. Please use better discretion in the future.

Edited by mattmck

I believe the reason is because modern day feminist civil rights groups throw frivolous lawsuits at billion dollar corporations nonstop with no chance of winning to the point where they're so tired of settling out of court and sinking money into it that they actually hire staff to tell them what must be done in order to appease them.

Bold claim please provide evidence of this very specific thing happening repeatedly.

Blizzard literally has "cultural inclusion and social justice" coordinators to tell them what they must do in order to appease these groups

Again please provide evidence that

A) said department exists

B) it exists for this reason alone and that there's no other reason for it to exist.

these changes were made solely for the purpose of avoiding any negative attention from media by not appeasing militant social justice feminists, because such is the sad world we live in that causing them offense costs money. These changes weren't made to the benefit of the target demographic in this game in anyway,

My guess at this point then is that you have no idea how game development happens. I feel like you imagine there was a single meeting about the game where everyone was gung ho about just copying diablo 2 pixel for pixel into a new engine then the doors burst open and some pink haired sjw came in screaming about how AMAZON BAD!!! and these billionaires who've made careers out of abusing their staff suddenly folded.

Game design is iterative. That means trial and error. Given this isn't just hd pixels on the old game and they more or less rebuilt it from the ground up that means a lot of ground work had to be done again and that means test builds. During this time they will have had numerous concepts for the 3d incarnations of the characters drawn and redrawn, looked over by various members in the development and publishing side. Several of these concepts will have had 3d models made of them. Not to the detail of the final one of course (game art is very expensive) but enough so that people playing the early builds can get a feel for how things look and play. Now of course I wasn't in any of those meetings but I can almost guarantee you there were sexy amazons in some of those early builds and after a lot of consideration based on a lot of factors they went with one that actually looks like an amazon probably would over the original, the biggest being the overall aesthetic that the game is going for (graphics serve the aesthetic I'll link a good video about that down below).

I also consider myself the target demographic and I love the new design so again speak for yourself but don't make sweeping generalizations based on how you and your mates see the world. It's a far more diverse and interesting place than you'd imagine and there are more than enough real problems in it without having to imagine angry leftists are trying to break all your toys.

That being said, I don't think it's ideal as a moderator that you've only decided to censor my comments here choosing not to censor the gay pride guy's because you agree with his argument and don't support our choice to pursue the development of this kind of mod because you feel pious about the topic. Nothing I said was any more provocative or offensive than his initial comment. Please use better discretion in the future.

I'm not a moderator dude and none of their comments violated the ToS so quit playing victim with me. Abide by the ToS and there's no problem. Also do some fact checking before you make statements like that or literally anything you brought up in your previous comment.

It's fine if you don't like their design choice and you are welcome to make a mod if it bothers you so much but don't go thinking this is all about wokism. Maybe spend a little less time watching youtubers complain about it and a little more time learning about how the industry actually works.

Extra credits graphics vs aesthetics

https://youtu.be/5oK8UTRgvJU

Edited by TRCMods

surely if you want it that badly, your inner rage at injustice will power you to learn how to do it without someone holding your hand? i mean, come on, use the power of frustration to drive your desires to see large chested pixels.

What is your problem? I talked about what Blizz said about the changes. Do you agree that a beautiful woman cannot fight? Google “army women” or “sport women”, you will find even more beauty than in a nightclub.

And what is that “learn from your injustice” what? This site is to share our knowledge in mods, so I am asking exactly that: do you know how to modd this game or not?

I was going to stay out of this but I can't help myself. I can only imagine how terrible the world you live on must be if you think a billion dollar corporation made decisions about a multi million dollar project based on what the so called woke people on twitter would think about it.

It's called a unifying aesthetic. It's absurd to think that the company that gave us night elves is censoring by creating a strong woman that actually looks like she could hold her own in a fight and has probably been through a few.

That being said you're very welcome to make your mod.

Well, Blizz have changed some paints of half-naked women with fruits, or burkas. So, yes, it’s happening.

https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-warcraft-paintings/

Besides that, I don’t care if they have woke policies, I just portraying how ridiculous sounds their claims.

And what is “unifying aesthetic”? I’m playing Diablo 2, the minimum I ask is to keep the original designs. Do unifying aesthetic in new games, not in a remaster.

Great, that is the spirit! Sadly I don’t have the will to get into the game if it is not moddable enough to fix wokism. So before get into the game, want to be sure that Willem Dafoe won’t be my amazon. Lol

PS: Not in a nightclub.

90510577_1695460247288402_28508928703851

Edited by Antartic

The unifying aesthetic of one version of a game could easily be used in a remake but since we're making a significant technological leap here and we're now also using full 3d assets it creates an opportunity to play with concept and introduce new ideas. I mean if it's just going to be exactly the same why invest so much in a remake?

The good news is though just like with movie remakes the remake doesn't destroy the original. So you can just play that. Though it's very telling about your personality if the deal breaker in a complex rpg is if you can fap to the female protagonist or not.