NPC Custom Race - Different from PC Custom Race

DarkSpyda04

Hello.

I created a custom race from the character I'm using for ease of access. Anytime I want to start a new game as this character to test out a mod, I select the race and everything is already set up proper since the default face is favorable and the hair, eyes, and rest of that can be set in the editor. From this custom race I would like to make an NPC that looks exactly like the playable version but I'm getting some subtle differences between the NPC and PC versions. The NPC I created based off of the PC should in theory look exactly the same but instead we see a different hair color, some facial differences, and even a more thick-set body. In the image below you can see the two. The one on the left is the NPC and the one on the right is the PC.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/DarkSpydaIV/01_zpsf0dad809.png - In-game NPC/PC comparison

Another problem I'm having which has no relation to the above is how the character's face looks in the editor's viewer or the in-game inventory screen. The face looks very ugly despite the texture having no details to make it so. Compare to a different NPC's face.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/DarkSpydaIV/02_zps902d6327.png - In-viewer face comparison

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/DarkSpydaIV/03_zps2fdde83e.png - Texture comparison

I think I'm seeing something unusual with my character's face in the viewer. Notice how all of the details are pushed down such as the label lines around the nose. This is synonymous with having to create a new texture for the character. Alecu's Digital Girl face (which this character uses the default of) has very odd UV's that do not match any other texture. Therefore with odd UV's we can see why those details are pushed downward, creating such an odd appearance. I could in theory take the Imperial face texture, overlay it onto the DG UV's and push it up a bit to see what happens but I'd still be disappointed that the character's face can't look as clean as I want it to.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/DarkSpydaIV/04_zps6c1272f3.png

Some brilliant idea that was. Well, back to the drawing board. Okay... now the NPC's face is exactly as is the PC's face. Either I was imagining things the first time around or something fixed itself somehow. Oh, Oblivion modding... now I have to test out a fresh save a thousand times to make sure the face isn't just changing each time. Nope it doesn't look like it. *Presses palm against face* I am confuzzled.

Edited by DarkSpyda04

Hello.

I created a custom race from the character I'm using for ease of access. Anytime I want to start a new game as this character to test out a mod, I select the race and everything is already set up proper since the default face is favorable and the hair, eyes, and rest of that can be set in the editor. From this custom race I would like to make an NPC that looks exactly like the playable version but I'm getting some subtle differences between the NPC and PC versions. The NPC I created based off of the PC should in theory look exactly the same but instead we see a different hair color, some facial differences, and even a more thick-set body. In the image below you can see the two. The one on the left is the NPC and the one on the right is the PC.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/DarkSpydaIV/01_zpsf0dad809.png - In-game NPC/PC comparison

PC and NPC faces are based on different base models. PC faces use Bendu Olo (editor ID 'Player') exclusively, whether for male or female. NPCs use their own unique bases. That is why you are seeing a difference.

So there is a difference. Is there any way to make them the same or no? It's fine if not because now for whatever reason the NPC's starting to look more like the player. I could just be accepting the differences or maybe something happened behind the curtains. Maybe it was just the facial expression combined with the hair? I made the hair more vibrant and I like the look.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/DarkSpydaIV/x_zpsb896bf1c.jpg

Can you tell which one's player and which is NPC?

Edited by DarkSpyda04

So there is a difference. Is there any way to make them the same or no?

Yes, but only if you clone the facial geometry details from Bendu Olo to your NPCs individually.

Yes, but only if you clone the facial geometry details from Bendu Olo to your NPCs individually.

Seems easy enough. Where do I find the file(s) for the player mesh and where do I find the files for the NPC mesh? Furthermore, what editor do I use? I only have experience using Autodesk 3Ds Max. Or do I do something in the TES construction set? You're giving me a minimum of information and it's not much to go on. It's kind of annoying. I wait a long time for a response and I don't get much. I appreciate the help but could you please be more specific?

Edited by DarkSpyda04

Seems easy enough. Where do I find the file(s) for the player mesh and where do I find the files for the NPC mesh? Furthermore, what editor do I use? I only have experience using Autodesk 3Ds Max. Or do I do something in the TES construction set? You're giving me a minimum of information and it's not much to go on. It's kind of annoying. I wait a long time for a response and I don't get much. I appreciate the help but could you please be more specific?

Bendu Olo is the actual name given to the CS character that stands in for 'Player' -- as I said, it has the editor ID of 'Player'. So, it is not a mesh, but a unique character reserved for the player. The cloning can be done entirely in the CS by jotting down the facial geometry details and endowing your NPCs with the same.

Alright, that makes sense. The ID "Player" was under the NPC listing. So I have to write down the face data I see and edit the NPC, right? I can give it a try but no guarantee it'll work. If I don't like the result then I'll just leave it as it is.

Also - What happens if I summon myself?

EDIT - This is impossible. I change one value and it changes another value. I can't match one character to another if this keeps happening. I really do think I'm better off just leaving the NPC as-is. She looks fine.

Edited by DarkSpyda04