WHat Constitutes "Piracy"?

Zanderat

24 hours ago, I reported a mod that bypassed GOG Galaxy for a particular game and it is still up. I assume that is enough time for a mod to review. So what exactly constitutes "piracy"? Thanks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can take some time for moderators to review your report. It's also worth noting that GOG Galaxy installs games DRM-free so you'd need to provide a detailed report about the issue you believe constitutes piracy.

This particular mod replaces "GalaxyWrp.dll". DRM free does not mean bypass the registry so that the game can be freely distributed.

If you've reported it, you've done you part. It will be reviewed by the staff and we will decide if it should be removed. I noticed your report is pretty light on info, so if you want to add more info, you can report the page again.

OK. But there really isn't too much detail. He uploaded "GalaxyWrp.dll". The question is whether or not you will allow it.

It can take some time for moderators to review your report. It's also worth noting that GOG Galaxy installs games DRM-free so you'd need to provide a detailed report about the issue you believe constitutes piracy.

This particular mod replaces "GalaxyWrp.dll". DRM free does not mean bypass the registry so that the game can be freely distributed.

I don't see what this has to do with piracy? I mean sure tampering with the official launcher is against their EULA, but piracy? Not really, since you can download the offline installer from the GOG site if you can't or don't wish to use Galaxy. The problem that this "mod" is supposed to fix is related to WinXP if i'm not mistaken, where you can't launch the game due to changes in the registry system between XP and Win7. But nonetheless if you think this is piracy it would be better to contact GOG directly instead of just asking to take it down here.

Edited by FlynTie

He doesn't specify operating system in the description. If it is allowed, then OK. Seems sketchy, but no skin off of my nose.

From the FBI (https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/white-collar-crime/piracy-ip-theft)

"Intellectual property theft involves robbing people or companies of their ideas, inventions, and creative expressions—known as “intellectual property”—which can include everything from trade secrets and proprietary products and parts to movies, music, and software".

Mods are covered under software.