WHat Constitutes "Piracy"?

Zanderat

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it depends. Are those registry entries meant to be some sort of sage guard against piracy? If it's a mod breaking DRM, then I would see that as suspect (but pretty sure all GOG games are DRM free). But if the registry entries being avoided, are not necessarily meant to be DRM and is just the way the game installs itself, then I don't see a problem. Such a thing would be just to be able to move to another folder, as not being able to move your game to another drive is a major pain.

I would say it depends. Are those registry entries meant to be some sort of sage guard against piracy? If it's a mod breaking DRM, then I would see that as suspect (but pretty sure all GOG games are DRM free). But if the registry entries being avoided, are not necessarily meant to be DRM and is just the way the game installs itself, then I don't see a problem. Such a thing would be just to be able to move to another folder, as not being able to move your game to another drive is a major pain.

..or move to another machine.....or upload to distribute the game.... DRM free does not mean freely steal the game (or provide the means to, as in this case).

..or move to another machine.....or upload to distribute the game.... DRM free does not mean freely steal the game (or provide the means to, as in this case).

One of the main issues is I don't use GOG, so I have no idea exactly what methods they use to try and prevent you from copy and pasting a game freely to wherever you want. But just based on the idea that the games are DRM free, that to me suggests they don't do anything to really prevent it. So I would imagine most if not all games from GOG can just be copied and pasted. Am I wrong about that? Pretty certain you don't even need GOG to run the games you install based on what I am reading.

If this is a case where a game creates a registry entry to identify a "cd key" of some sort (kinda old school, do they still do that?), then to me that suggests someone wouldn't need to go through downloading this mod if their intention was to pirate it, all they would need is the key and installer, which as far as I am aware, both are available through GOG without the use of the mod.

If this is a case where the registry for some reason holds the file path, then that mod doesn't even need to exist, anyone can access the registry and change this just as they can a cd key. To me it just sounds like it's meant to make it more convenient to move the game rather than "pirate" it.

I refuse to believe Gaming companies still haven't found an unbreakable hard coded anti piracy method.

There is Software out there that doesn't even require online registration and it still hasn't been hacked.

There are also solutions that can make a certain hard coded Engine be handled only by another hard coded windows software that is unhackable only that both Microsoft and the Game Developer need to have them constantly updated to make the hard coded product and the ID of the specific software ID on your device truly unique and unable to be altered without direct online registration and official support by connecting to a certain server.

I just believe the current Gaming industry doesn't even care about preventing piracy because it creates the problem and therefore the Solution (End-Goal Justification) for future Paywall Subscription Models for Single Player RPGs. Otherwise they would use a multitude of available Solutions.

Businesses do need to make money but last decades we see a quite Malicious marketing approach. Yes. I am a Tin-Foil Hat. But there is unhackable software and that says alot. Besides. Alot of Hacks and Hacking methods come from internal ''Leacked Data'' most of the time.

Edited by Guest

Guest deleted34304850

what is the software you mention that hasn't been hacked? i'd be interested in reading about that if you have some information.

Guest deleted34304850

give me an explicit name not the genre.

i want to know the name of the software you describe as "unhackable software".

what is the software you mention that hasn't been hacked? i'd be interested in reading about that if you have some information.

Topographic Programms for example, 3D Design Software for Architecture etc. etc.

It's unlikely any software is unhackable. Whether or not a hack exists though is going to depend on how useful said application is within a certain space (mainly for personal use). For example, those apps might not have been hacked simply due to those who typically would use them, have no reason to pirate them. The only people I could see pirating them would be college students, but most colleges that teach architecture typically provides the software on the computer that you would be using. And if you wanted to buy it yourself, most colleges have programs that allow you to get it at discount. Back when I was attending college, I took an architecture class that used Revit. No idea on whether it's been hacked or not, but if it hasn't ... I could only assume that would be the reason. I can't ever see using that kind of program for personal use.