Live Another Life

IndigoGollum

Guest deleted2027229

Sorry I know nothing about scripting. Ideally, the intro is not actually touched. So yes you still see emperor killed, and collect his amulet. But when you click on sewer door, instead of seeing Vilverin across the water, you simply teleport to any random cell in the game.

I see?? Well reread my last post, as I did add more stuff to it :D It is so funny now and I love to have fun, lots of it... :wink: Specially the last part... Damn some memories did pop up.

When or if you will make the mod for this, scripting is not needed at all. You will use your mouse, drag a portal from one window to the next, and that is something all know how to do that use a computer. It is very simple. I will guide all steps that you ever will need to know. But reread my last edits first and then I tell you how to make it, in every detail. Just tell me what you know, that you have started CS at least ones and you know how to start it? I do not know what you know. You must tell me so we can get started. Lets start with starting Oblivion.esm inside CS. Have you done it at least 1 time? Do you know how to do it as that is required. As soon as we, I meant you get Oblivion.esm inside CS, it will become a walk in the park, trust me.

Edited by Pellape

I had to reread the whole thread to actually know and recall what we have talked about.

Do we have more than one thread about this as I do recall now that you needed to add all 4000 or 6000 cell names into the Excel or Google spreadsheet to be able to make a script for the random part? Oblivion cannot guess what we want to do. We must give Oblivion every single instruction for it to do anything we want it to do. If you only want to have 5 cells to choose between, we can skip Excel and spread sheets and make it simple but if you want all cells, added, that will require you to do the steps I did already wrote and I will not rewrite it, not if we can find it that is. Tell me which you think is best and might be fastest to actually get working. Making things complicated is not what we really want as we might fail and fall over over own shoes nor we cannot drag our self in our own head and fly. The gravity laws must be followed. We cannot get this to work if we try to not follow my instructions already made for the Excel step. Where is that posting? Can you put a link here? :wink:

I will listen to this while I wait... :wink:

So immersive. Good live RP in this video really... :wink: Steve hacket? Original member of Genesis from 1969 if I recall right, with Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel. :D Phil was so tired last concert 2 weeks ago, when he announced they will never play again, well they had to roll him out on stage with an office chair on wheels, but he still talks to much on stage, instead of playing their songs. Phil that is. Steve hacket is no talker. He only answer when he gets a question... :wink: I do prefer to listen to Steve hackett when he perform genesis songs than watching Phill Collins and the Original genesis. They are so damn boring these days. Steve is bigger than ever now. He did a short mention why he did leave Genesis at all 1976. ;) Very short... Edited by Pellape

I wasn't trying to disrespect you brother, I think your mods are great, I was just saying I think the OP was looking for a mod like Random Start for Skyrim - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25404

It's a great mod and does away with the long boring intro.

Yes, i see the point. I also did forget to write that Skyrim can do stuff Oblivion cant. It can scan all cells in the game as one feature that Oblivion cant. We can gather all cells in Skyrim to a database as we do not really need to manually add them to a script in Oblivion. When I did start with my current WIP, if you read it or did read it 2 years ago when i also asked about this, you would also see that it can never be done for Oblivion, not if we do not rewrite the whole game using the Skyrim script engine? Maybe it is therefor Bethesda did trash Oblivion, restarted from scratch, making the game more intelligent. Oblivion is a good game, but limited. I know more of Oblivion as I never started modding Skyrim and never will. It is too much different and also so bloody slow. I use low end computers...

I saw what you saw in Skyrim, the Legacy of the dragonborn, scans the cells, looking for books in real time. So if i go to a cell, try to hide that book inside it, the scanner at the Legacy mod will find it.... The scanner is slow. It will take 2-3 real minutes before it finds it. Oblivion, everything is immediate as we tell it what to do and it does it, within a single frame. But we must add so much more then we need in Skyrim.

So a single frame in Oblivion with the old way of coding it, 16 years old.. How many frames needs to run before Skyrim finds that specific book then?

I have 30 fps * 60 seconds * 5 min = 9000 frames- That is what Skyrim needs ti really find that specific book. We can tell Skyrim to do as we so in Oblivion to allow it to find specific books and stuff within a frame too... But that is not the point. It has 2 ways it can do it when Oblivion only have the old. So Skyrim either use the new or old way. Both will work.

If i hide a book in Oblivion, it will be lost forever... I, as the player, can find it. Oblivion do not care if I do really, it do not know what a book is... It is that stupid if I may say so and maybe that is why i love it. i can easy do "almost" what I want. i can tell oblivion, Go and stand in that corner and do nothing and it will stand there and shut down - pronto... :D Well maybe Skyrim will as well but it has a better AI, as it is only 11 years old.

Oblivion came 2006

Skyrim came 2011

First time I looked in Skyrim CS, I recall... What is this? What do I do here? Oblivion have more in common with Morrowind - No wonder bethesda gave up on Oblivion already 2008 as it was old then. The base in Oblivion was made in the end of 1900 I guess, during Morrowind development and approx 10 years old 2008, from the development started.

I hope this will make sense, as it explains what we must do to get to a random cell in Oblivion. We cannot copy anything from Skyrim to Oblivion as those 2 games works extremely different. An electric car will us from A to B. A car with diesel engine will take from A to B. They are different under the hood or shell or whatever the outside of a car is called in english? the frame? I never learned that word... I drive my car in Sweden, on the right side of the road even... I never learned all words for the parts it has... :O Damn... *runs away to google translate*

The point is, I was surpriced myself 2000 that we could not make stuff work in oblivion as it works in Skyrim. It is all here in the beginning somewhere: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/9160783-wip-the-companion-friendly-hobbit-home My own frutrations. I refused to listen to the old oblivion players, that I will not be able to make it. But it works in Skyrim? It took me days to understand the differens and relearn everything... Going back in time, from 2011 to 2006... I solved it though, accepted the facts, found new ways of really make stuff as they do in Skyrim, just a much harder way succeeding with it. It is my challenge to win. I do not give up. :D

Edited by Pellape

Another thought now did came from the sky, hitting my poor head. I know what is missing in Morroind and Oblivion. Databases

I do not know if Skyrim really have databases? Where does it store all data when it scans Skyrim cells for the player? Storing a lot of data is done with databases, storing lesser data is done in simple variables. A computer cannot work without variables... The databases transfer data to variables when we need to change the database. Dayabases are ussually contaced through the file system but it does not mattar if it is in RAM or at the harddrive really. It is still a database no matter what.

OBSE, Oblivion Scropt Extender has databases and they are called array's and I use them. (He also write that this subject is complicated in that article.) You cannot run my mod without OBSE and you cannot start a game save and access OBSE without installing OBSE. Bethesda do not use player written stuff direct as OBSE is created by the players. They did steal a lot of our stuff from Morrowind and added it in Oblivion, like harvest of flowers frames better head and better bodies. But they remade them their way, not a direct transfer.

I do think they did peek in OBSE when they made Skyrim as it is OBSE that allow us to beat Bethesdas limits in Oblivion. If Bethesda can move in a 1 metre wide circle in Oblivion, we run in a 10m circle with OBSE, that gave us more options, that allowed us to make amassing stuff. Still OBSE is a tool box, depended on Net Immerse engine 20.0.0.4 and later 20.0.0.5 with an upgrade. a patch made by Bethesda and that is the max limit. Oblivion it self set the limit for OBSE. It cannot make miracles. :D We must still do things a specific way... We must think before we add stuff in Oblivion as well, aswe can breaj it with OBSE, if we try to make old original commands do OBSE stuff, trust me, I did that mistake 3 times. I think Drake told me to open my eyes...

Pekka you cammot use message "%n" as you must use messageEX "%n" - TES, I was blind, the commands look almost the same but they are not.

message is original

messageEX is OBSE and smarter. MUCH smarter, can show OBSE stuff, message cant... Just to clarify some differences. :D It takes time to really learn all this stuff really... It is another world, programming and coding... It is nuts, crazy and can make any one completely mad... Nut House next... Please bring chocolate, coffee with the flowers.

Edited by Pellape

Guest deleted2027229

Ok mate thanks for the write up, so the only way is via script and using excel spreadsheet? Any chance you could add the games cells to the spreadsheet? My computer does not have excel and I am not well trained in making spreadsheets.

*edit.. as for your hobbit home, that's why I use a horse saddlebag mod... so much simpler and stress free to live from your horse. :D

Edited by WanderRA

So with all this new information I added in this thread, we still have 2 options (No 3 options even)

1. Keep it simple, make it without OBSE, use the old miss functional GetRandomPercent to choose between 5-20 cells, as that is doable

2. Do it more advance with a database from OBSE, with RAND from OBSE that is a real randomizer, not fake as GetRandomProcent is.

I want o make it simple to start with. If you succeed making it simple and want to try it more advanced in step 2, we can go all the way.

There is also a way 0.01: Do it without scripts and also without OBSE. I do think a portal can store more then one cell, but I never tested it. We can figure it out by testing it, if it is so and then make it to work. Nothing is impossible. To make it as simple as possible we can also do the old way: One single Portal out. We can make that simplest mod within a very short amount of time. It is a drag and drop of 2 portals and connect them together, that is all.

See here how it is done when the doors are placed in 2 cells. It does not explain how to place the portal into the cell as that is explained in the basics of the Object window. I will explain how you add the door to the cells and we use this wiki as the base for the rest as it is all there, in detail. -> Door Markers - Connecting One or More Doors Between Cells - The Elder Scrolls Construction Set Wiki

Edited by Pellape

I now did take a look about howto random to a few cells... I do not knowyet how to add cells into a door but if we can add one, maybe we can add 100, or even all. We test this after you have loaded CS with oblivion. :wink: i will still not make a mod myself that I will not use but you can do it. easy it looks like. look here. I guess we drag the cells in here from the cell window that is in the menus, not the one down to the right side, as that is references to the cells in the cell database. Yes, they are stored in a form of a database we cannot change from the game... If we could, OBSE woult have been obsolete... :wink:

Look here:

52018318151_338d702cc4.jpg

We all learn new stuff every day, by testing it in game and in CS. :D I learned new stuff for 26 years, every day... Only if i can remember all too, as i cant... If we do not do this within 2 weeks, i will forget how... I promise you that :wink: A shame all this kowledge comes and goes... Do you remember the math from your 9th grade in school, well same here, I do not either... :wink: I do remeber seeing x, y and z that year as they are variables, stuff we use daily in all scripts and programs. It is therefor we had to learn them... x, y and z... and functions at the high school... They are all used for coders and scripters every day, every hour or even every minute they write a command or code... They refer all to at least one variable up to infinite... To be able to even place anything in game, it it connected into a cell by at least 3 variables but it is 7 all together, 4 are not used for all items. 3 is.

Edited by Pellape