In Support of Mod Authors

sombra310

Alone it will have minimal effect on the future of Nexus Mods and the implementation of collections, but after having read the 'News' posts regarding the method of implementation for Collections and the accompanying concerns of Mod Authors, I have chosen to cancel my Nexus Mods subscription.

I'm of a firm mind that Mod Authors who have spent undetermined hours creating, patching, and updating their mods, should retain complete control over whether their Mods appear or do not appear, are available to collections or not, and can be wholly deleted or not. In creating the modded content, they are the ones who have signed the EULA with the game companies, and they are the ones who will be held responsible for any breach of contract with said companies.

I've enjoyed the faster downloads of mods and have loved that I could use Nexus Mods as the 'Amazon' (one-stop shopping) for mods. I cannot in good conscience, however, financially support the direction Nexus Mods is taking by removing the complete ownership rights of Mod Authors in order to maintain the viability of "Collections."

Maybe others will join me in this, maybe they won't. Each has to make their own choice.

If enough Mod Authors and paying subscribers make a stand, I can't help but think that Nexus Mods will have to rethink their position on how best to implement "Collections" yet leave the Authors authority intact.

While I appreciate the sentiment, it is pretty much a useless gesture. There was a pretty significant hue and cry when this all first came out..... And it essentially amounted to a tempest in a teapot. Sure, some authors have left, and the pain of that has been felt, but, not painful enough for staff to even remotely consider changing their minds. I expect that to remain the prevailing condition.

Not that I agree with what Nexus is doing. Quite the contrary. I think it was handled extremely poorly. To the point that any trust that used to exist between mod authors, and nexus, is now gone. This used to be an author friendly site. Not so much any more. Upload here, and you are essentially giving up all rights to your work.

As for collections..... Authors already agree to grant nexus a license to distribute their mods. That's the whole point of this site, after all. No where in that agreement does it specify, or restrict just HOW nexus distributes though. That, and having an 'opt out' option for collections, which essentially kill them before they even got started. At the very least, it would seriously gimp the whole program.......

So, in the end, don't expect anything to change. It is what it is, and 'the people' have zero power to change things. There isn't enough folks even interested in this topic any more, for them to rally behind mod authors, (whom most of them think authors are prima-donnas anyway.....) and influence any decision making on the part of staff.

There isn't enough folks even interested in this topic any more, for them to rally behind mod authors, (whom most of them think authors are prima-donnas anyway.....) and influence any decision making on the part of staff.

Oh there are, but most of them left, plus threads like these are quickly locked and shut down, taking away the ability to talk about the subject any more.

Plus "unfavorable" comments are deleted etc.

So the concerns are still there, we're just not allowed to talk about them anymore.

Plus there was a bunch of people who suddenly appeared on the forums during that time to shout down any mod authors that had concerns, much like the Pinkertons did with Unions at one time in history.|

There isn't enough folks even interested in this topic any more, for them to rally behind mod authors, (whom most of them think authors are prima-donnas anyway.....) and influence any decision making on the part of staff.

Oh there are, but most of them left, plus threads like these are quickly locked and shut down, taking away the ability to talk about the subject any more.

Plus "unfavorable" comments are deleted etc.

So the concerns are still there, we're just not allowed to talk about them anymore.

Plus there was a bunch of people who suddenly appeared on the forums during that time to shout down any mod authors that had concerns, much like the Pinkertons did with Unions at one time in history.|

Even while it was an ongoing thing, just where it could be discussed was heavily restricted. I think the most I saw was two threads.... any others were shut down, or pointed at the discussions on the new article. (even though those discussions had been locked already.....)

But, Nexus is still here, folks are still uploading their mods here, whether they are aware of just what it is they are doing, is another question though. Very few folks actually READ the stuff they 'agree' to...... Most just pencil-whip it, and call it a day.

(my brother did an interesting study on just that willingness to sign anything put in front of you..... but, this ain't the place for that.)

Upload here, and you are essentially giving up all rights to your work.

Not really true, or rather you are explaining it poorly. You are not giving up any rights away, you still have all your own rights to your own work. What you are doing is giving them permission to use your work, for the purpose of use on this site, that's it. It's not as if they can just take your work and do anything they want with it. The ToS is strictly for usage on this site and you already know what they want to use it for, in this case collections.

Claiming your rights are being taken away, is overly dramatic and total nonsense. We get it, you don't like it. But if you want to discuss these things, then discuss them in a way that doesn't over exaggerate the reality of what is actually occuring.

Giving up all rights to your work, would suggest you no longer have the ability to distribute your own work. Like as if it's no longer owned by you. Like as if you gave away the copyright. When in reality, all that is happening is you are granting them permission to use the content you willingly chose to upload. Don't want to give them permission? Then don't upload it. And if someone doesn't read the ToS, they only have themselves to blame. If you care about your work that much, then you SHOULD be reading the ToS of where you upload that work.

Upload here, and you are essentially giving up all rights to your work.

Not really true, or rather you are explaining it poorly. You are not giving up any rights away, you still have all your own rights to your own work. What you are doing is giving them permission to use your work, for the purpose of use on this site, that's it. It's not as if they can just take your work and do anything they want with it. The ToS is strictly for usage on this site and you already know what they want to use it for, in this case collections.

Claiming your rights are being taken away, is overly dramatic and total nonsense. We get it, you don't like it. But if you want to discuss these things, then discuss them in a way that doesn't over exaggerate the reality of what is actually occuring.

Giving up all rights to your work, would suggest you no longer have the ability to distribute your own work. Like as if it's no longer owned by you. Like as if you gave away the copyright. When in reality, all that is happening is you are granting them permission to use the content you willingly chose to upload. Don't want to give them permission? Then don't upload it. And if someone doesn't read the ToS, they only have themselves to blame. If you care about your work that much, then you SHOULD be reading the ToS of where you upload that work.

Yeah, I suppose. The upshot is, if you upload here, that's it. It's here, and it will stay here. You, as an author, no longer have the right to REVOKE nexus right to distribute your work.

I am not sure why people are even responding to what is clearly a troll post. This is literally the op's one and only post here ever.

I am not sure why people are even responding to what is clearly a troll post. This is literally the op's one and only post here ever.

I do not think this is the case. Sombra has been a member here since 2008. Looking over other websites and forums, word about the Nexus changes is still very much news to a lot of people. Perhaps Sombra just found out and felt strongly enough about the subject to break their long-held silence.