CPU usage problems

Eiade

I just moved into my dorm at Eastern Kentucky U, and in order to connect to the internet we needed to download a virus program and a login program in order to log on to the school server. I also needed to download some windows xp updates. So I did all this, and my internet is working fine, but my CPU usage is now anywhere between 65-100%. That's ridiculous. It's normally 0-3%.

I've tried all of the simple remedies I could think of, such as defragging my hard drive, using memory-recovering programs (I doubt those would help anyway), using disk cleanup, and checking my background programs. I just counted, and I have 24 background programs running. I think that's more than I used to have.

I went into Msconfig, and went to the 'startup' tab to look at what programs started up upon booting up windows. I unchecked several that I didn't recognize, but somehow they still start up.

I fear I might have a bad worm or virus. Does anyone know any other methods for decreasing CPU usage? And does anyone know of a site or program that can identify background programs and tell what they do?

go to your task manager and manually terminate any suspect programs. take note of their filename and do a search for them on your box to see where they show up. you can manually delete them after you've ended the process. as long as it's not a virus or worm that should take care of it

shibbidy cricket ^_^

you can generally enter the process name (i.e. - tmlisten.exe) into google and it will bring up security pages if it's a malicious process. Check the pages and they will tell you exactly what it is. but generally if you see a particular program eating up processor time consistently you can kill it as it's likely malicious.

when i move my pc something weird happens my cpu clock sets back from 133 to 100 and my cpu will work at a speed of 1350 instead of 1800 i solved it by going to the bios then in cpu pnp setup and used page up until all the number were 133 mhz

Guest kfmccall
download regedit. It deletes unwanted registry keys and your able to uninstall/remove anything you want, unlike the restricted windows add/remove programs list.

download regedit.  It deletes unwanted registry keys and your able to uninstall/remove anything you want, unlike the restricted windows add/remove programs list.

regedit comes with windows. you run it from the run prompt or c:\windows\regedit.exe

it's used for manually adding and removing registry keys.

Well, I just used that program, and I think I'll let an extremely computer-savvy friend handle that.

But a friend gave me System Mechanic, and using that program, I fixed or cleaned up my registry. Does that count for anything?

when i move my pc something weird happens my cpu clock sets back from 133 to 100 and my cpu will work at a speed of 1350 instead of 1800 i solved it by going to the bios then in cpu pnp setup and used page up until all the number were 133 mhz

Your CMOS battery has run out (which keeps your setup settings from decaying), meaning that when you unplug the PC for a couple of hours, your CMOS is wiped, and you have to put everything back in. Replace battery.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived