JamesAutumn

I was wondering about wyrmstooth. i had it installed but never got the chance to initiate the quest. I got to whiterun setup my base of operations aka breezehome and was about to start the quest then the ctd's started happening.

I have Helgen Reborn and Falskaar and the cheese of ages and agents of righteous might installed. Does wyrmstooth conflict with those or modify breezehome in a certain way? the only reason for my ctds was wyrmstooth and as long as i don't have that installed i have optimal framerate. I don't have anything that replace breezehome accept for a mod that changes the interior so nothing exterior is modified which i think works out great and doesn't break my game.

Does anyone have the same issue with wyrmstooth? cause i really wanna play it and see the new area that was created for it.

I just started Wyrmstooth version 1.8 just a few days ago and have been enjoying it immensely. My wife also has version 1.7 on her PC. However, while we are actively _in_ the mod -- have some of its NPCs in our party -- we have a CTD about every 5 to 20 minutes (at most). Of course, both of us have our games heavily modded (@50+ mods installed), so the potential for a conflict is pretty high.

From what I gather from chatter about Wyrmstooth, certain _sounds_ can make it do a CTD. But not always. I guess it has to do when the mod is "multitasking" several operations at once, then it _may_ have a "nervous breakdown".

Whatever the problem's root, the mod is _still_ very much worth playing. Just Save _often_, so you don't lose too much progress. (And create New Saves fairly frequently.) In particular, Save whenever you're about to go through a door; I find that CTDs seem to occur more often when you're crossing a threshold.

I finished the main mission of Wyrmstooth and am now just exploring the island. Since finishing the main mission -- and dispensed with the assigned mercenary "help" -- the frequency of CTDs has dropped waaaaaayyyyy down to about the normal frequency of CTDs in Skyrim in general. So now I'm wondering if it was those mercs that had been causing the frequent CTDs.

I'll have to give it a try again i've have had ctds with a couple of winterhold mods since then but that is smoother out for the time bein. What does wyemstooth alter in the default game world?

It adds a couple of metals, refined brimstone and refined wyrmstone, but I haven't quite figured out what you can do with them. Also a couple of Alchemy ingredients like elf caps and bog beacons, which likewise I haven't figured out what to do with them. Other than those things, the rest of the NPCs and activities could be anywhere in Skyrim. So, essentially, a mostly familiar setting, just off on an island.

You'd think it would implement those to existing ingredients or create unique trinkets atleast. But once the mercs are gone not as many ctds?

Not even close. During the main mission, I was practically guaranteed a CTD every 5-20 minutes. After the mission concludes and the mercs go their own way, I can play for _hours_ w/o a CTD. (Usually these seem to occur during complex graphic moments, like moving while a spell effect is happening. So they seem more like graphics overload than anything else.)

• 8 months later...

During my last play through, I became convinced that Wymstooth was generally more stable that the main Skyrim game. That said, the Wymstooth copy of the Blackreach area is as resource and computationally heavy as the regular Blackreach area. Those memory stabilizers found on the Skyrim Nexus such a Stable Ugrids and a couple of others whose names escape me at the moment, really help.

Don't bother with the ingots.

• 10 months later...

I know this is a year after everyone else is actively chatting in this discussion, but I also noticed some squirrely stuff happening with this Mod. I was roaming around random Dragon Peaks and no dragons were appearing where they should have been. This was during the portion of the quest where I went to Ancient's Ascent, talked with the Wyrmstooth dragon, then he flew off and the stage to return to Loire was active. Instead of heading there and being told to head to Solitude, I just started heading to other Dragon Mounts. And....no Dragons anywhere. So, if you are missing dragons where they should be present, I have a feeling this mod is stalling that in some way.

• 5 years later...

The cause of my Wyrmstooth CTD's was the 3 extra companions. Whenever they were in the same cell as me and my followers, even in Skyrim at the start of the quest, rates of crashing was very high, like during combat barely a minute would pass without a CDT or freeze.

The solution was to put myself in a different cell as them, or not have my other usual followers in the same cell, or include everyone as AFT followers--all options brought rates of crashing down to the very acceptable range. (I think the more specific cause might have been an AFT/iNPC patch I was using, but in any case the solution was to add the three as AFT follows during the quest line.)