• This topic is locked This topic is locked
833 replies to this topic

Baeroth

Baeroth

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
*sigh* I'll rather not offer too much of an opinion, as there isn't much I could say that would not provoke some unintentional offense to either side of the coin. 

Suffice it to say, when you start adding aftermarket upgrades to your car, you know and accept that the responsibility now lies with you and not the dealer anymore.

Edited by Baeroth, 28 October 2021 - 10:07 AM.

hunlucansu

hunlucansu

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
i wish they make AE update optional. i understand and support they are bringing new contents to the game but majority of people game with mods so...

BellCubeDev

BellCubeDev

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 216 posts
In response to post #101038623.

Spoiler

Right off the bat, let's go through a list of authors who aren't long-gone (criteria: They have to have been active on Nexus sometime in the last month):
  • Silverlock Team (all xSE mods, including SKSE)
  • Meh321 (Address Library, .NET Script Framework, DLL Plugin Loader, Bug Fixes, and SSE Fixes)
  • schlangster (SkyUI)
  • Expired (RaceMenu, UI Extensions)
  • powerofthree (powerofthree's Papyrus Extender, Frozen Electrocuted Combustion, powerofthree's Tweaks, Vampires Cast No Shadow 2, Oxygen Meter, Essential Favorites, Favorite Misc Items, Sales Overflow Solved, Destructible Display Cases, and quite a few more)
  • aers (SSE Engine Fixes, ENB Helper)
  • tktk1 (TK- anything e.g. TK Dodge)
  • SlavicPotato (more sophisticated alternative to Havok Fix, SSE Display Tweaks?)
  • Fozar (Dragonborn Presence)
  • shademe (Fuz Ro D-oh)
  • Linthar (More Informative Console)
And these are just the ones in the last month! Now consider that even more were active in the last 4! One of them I even had to cut off by 2 days!

(read the SKSE dev's Reddit post, also linked in the article, before continuing)

What "small tweak on their update" are you referring to? They literally REWROTE THE WHOLE GODDAMN ENGINE! No "small tweak" is capable of fixing the issue, otherwise, the SKSE team would be able to implement it themselves. To be clear, Bethesda could've taken a different route and instead used a single library file to do their Achievement dirty work, but that's in the past now; no use in discarding what must've been about a week of work.

Chances are, once this disruption is over, we'll have something else to look forward to: More possibilities in SKSE functions. Since we're now going to have access to 4 YEARS of C++ improvements, we're likely going to have better performance and more functions at our disposal.

No doubt, someone could re-write some of those old SKSE plugins—permissions or not. They're not patented, so you can't argue that the writer stole the mod either. So long as it isn't copy-pasted and different code is used, it's fine. If we can't come together and provide better alternatives, then this isn't the Skyrim modding community. We're much too resilient for that (even if Collections shook us up a good bit). After 10 years of modding this incredible game, we won't stop on year 10, day 1.

Edited by BellCubeDev, 28 October 2021 - 10:23 AM.

FelesNoctis

FelesNoctis

Khajiit Scholar

• Premium Member
  • 1,236 posts
Thank you for writing this out and trying to make sure people are prepared and know how to stall the update/revert if it happens.

No matter what you may think about the update or how you think it'll affect you, following these instructions is still in your best interests. We get so comfortable in our environments that we may think "Oh it won't be so bad", and then that one thing we can't live without breaks (for quite a few, that'll be RaceMenu or SkyUI due to SKSE) and then we wish we'd prepared better. 

Don't let this update sneak up on you! It's well worth your time to protect your install. Let the experts do what they do best, give them the time they need to get the infrastructure back up and running, while you continue to sit a version back nice and comfy. Hell, if you take the full backup route, you can snag the free CCs, and maybe even buy the AE to get the other CCs, then revert everything else back. That's probably what I'm going to do. 

BellCubeDev

BellCubeDev

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 216 posts
In response to post #101039868.

Spoiler

I mean, you could not update. Disable auto-updates via Steam and don't launch using steam. If you're using SKSE, you should be launching with SKSE's loader anyway.

BellCubeDev

BellCubeDev

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 216 posts
In response to post #101039703.

Spoiler

Finally! Someone who sees reason!

Now, I will add that Bethesda could've simply used a DLL for achievements instead of rewriting the whole damn engine, but hey, that was their choice. Now it's our responsibility to update our stuff.

BellCubeDev

BellCubeDev

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 216 posts
In response to post #101039503.

Spoiler

Honestly, I think Betehsda just wants to clean up the clutter a little bit

?make it available for free for owners of Skyrim SE

They already did that for Special Edition if you owned Oldrim & all 3 DLC (aka Legendary Edition or LE). There's no incentive to massively update a game every 5 years unless you're making a quick buck.

MONSTERaider

MONSTERaider

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,866 posts
That's a big NOPE for me, I'm sticking to my SE version thank you very much. The amount of time spent on modding was more than playing haha!
Now the only reason that would make me get the AE version is fixing the darn light source limit, but it's not gonna happen. I'm just crossing my fingers for a legendary modder who would find a way to fix it.

Edited by MONSTERaider, 28 October 2021 - 10:33 AM.

Stranger

• Account closed
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can  live without SKSE. Even the double perk bug I can solve it without SKSE and I have my small idea about it.

tarlazo

tarlazo

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,022 posts
In response to post #101038623. #101040068 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons!
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons!

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.970 seconds