planning 4k gaming hardware needed

just some info to the ram use, still underestimated playing 4k.

fo4 4k needs at least 32GB ram and 8 to 10GB Vram to run without stutter if you plan to use high or ultra settings. my fo4.exe task grows up to 20GB, same with sse.exe using high res textures - if you let them grow. and as you know windows needs also some resources.

additionally i tested horizon zero dawn with 4k, ported from console. the .exe task uses 14GB after playing only a few minutes. never enough to play the game without additional swapping within a 16GB ram limit.

don't believe the tales that 16GB ram is enough. maybe enough to run the game with standard settings yes but not in 4k without stutter at least for modded skyrim and fo4. even 1080p ultra settings can run into a limit for stutter free gaming with modern games and also the more vram the better it runs with ultra settings.

the assumption that 16 GB is the "best option" and future proof for 4K gaming sounds somehow strange watching the size of my skyrim se and fo4 process during gaming with task manager. the 16GB limit is maybe true for playing some texture optimized console 4k games but definitely not for modded skyrim se and fo4.

regarding vram: my old 2080ti utilized the full 11GB vram and also my new 3080 utilizes the full 10GB vram. to run stutter free 8GB gddr 6 vram should be the minimum to activate most 4 k features i would assume. you might not be able to run highest settings with some newer games. more vram is always better. 10GB should be fine in 2021 for most games but not future proof.

fallout 4 (2015 game) with very high settings, ugridstoload=7 and 4k res utilizes the full 10gb VRAM of my 3080 in some dense areas like massfusion and goodneighbor.

i hope this helps to buy the right gpu (2080 ti / RX6800 or better recommended) and amount of ram (>=32GB).

gpu prices are incredibly high. i bought my 3080 in august at least cheaper compared to the current situation but also beyond expected prices. i hope prices will fall soon but i'm not optimistic.

You need also fast ssd and cpu. seems 4k gaming will be an expensive adventure at least until mid of 2022.

i use 64GB ram which is convenient but not essential. it helps me to save a loading time and for more efficient caching.

• 3 months later...

4K will be obsolete in next 5 years. Windows 12 is coming out in 2024 with Top of the Line computers which will have 1T RAM and 1T Video Cards. It is why many gaming corporations are releasing updates to prevent GAMER ARMAGEDDON. Save your money for a Top of the Line Computer.

Not going to hold my breath on that. There are still a lot of folks running gaming rigs that aren't even 1080p. VRAM still has barely made it into double digits, and with the current supply problems, I suspect advancements in the tech are going to slow down for a year or three. A 4K capable gaming rig built today, will probably be still worth playing on in 5-10 years.

4K will be obsolete in next 5 years. Windows 12 is coming out in 2024 with Top of the Line computers which will have 1T RAM and 1T Video Cards. It is why many gaming corporations are releasing updates to prevent GAMER ARMAGEDDON. Save your money for a Top of the Line Computer.

Not going to hold my breath on that. There are still a lot of folks running gaming rigs that aren't even 1080p. VRAM still has barely made it into double digits, and with the current supply problems, I suspect advancements in the tech are going to slow down for a year or three. A 4K capable gaming rig built today, will probably be still worth playing on in 5-10 years.

It's complete disinformation. There is no "Windows 12" right now. I can't tell if they're just trolling or someone trolled them, but Microsoft has made no such announcement.

I run 4k UHD/HDR with this rig:

Motherboard - Asus ProArt X570-Creator WiFi

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz Sixteen Core
Ram - 4x Crucial DDR4-3200 32GB (128GB Total)

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB Founders Edition

Primary Hard Drive - Samsung 980 Pro 500GB Gen4 M.2 SSD
Secondary Hard Drive - Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

As of this writing the Video card is nowhere available at any price.

I run 4k UHD/HDR with this rig:

Motherboard - Asus ProArt X570-Creator WiFi

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz Sixteen Core

Ram - 4x Crucial DDR4-3200 32GB (128GB Total)

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB Founders Edition

Primary Hard Drive - Samsung 980 Pro 500GB Gen4 M.2 SSD

Secondary Hard Drive - Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

As of this writing the Video card is nowhere available at any price.

Nice machine. :) Yep, I am suitably jealous. :D

NewEgg seems to have a selection of 3090s available, no founders edition I saw on a quick perusal. NOT inexpensive though...... Ouch.

distance between monitor and eyes and the quality of the panel are the most important factors. my 65" panel distance to my eyes is about 2,5 meters - still too far away for the eyes to clearly identify the full 4k pixels. combined with an oled true black, infinite contrast, 1-2ms response time with 120hz refresh and wide color coverage you should get most out of your 4k experience.

distance between monitor and eyes and the quality of the panel are the most important factors. my 65" panel distance to my eyes is about 2,5 meters - still too far away for the eyes to clearly identify the full 4k pixels. combined with an oled true black, infinite contrast, 1-2ms response time with 120hz refresh and wide color coverage you should get most out of your 4k experience.

Is that a 16X9 aspect ratio panel?

I picked up a 34" 21X9 panel, and while the resolution is REALLY good. (ok, it's 'only' 2K, but, beats the crap out of my 1080p monitor....) Trouble is, games don't really seem to be able to manage the wider aspect ratio, and I get weird distortion at the edges. Things in my peripheral vision seem to be much closer than they are, when viewing them directly, or more toward the center of the screen...... Not a feature I really care for.

I picked up a 34" 21X9 panel, and while the resolution is REALLY good. (ok, it's 'only' 2K, but, beats the crap out of my 1080p monitor....) Trouble is, games don't really seem to be able to manage the wider aspect ratio, and I get weird distortion at the edges. Things in my peripheral vision seem to be much closer than they are, when viewing them directly, or more toward the center of the screen...... Not a feature I really care for.

Is it Bethesda's titles that are messed up? they tend to have a nasty fisheye effect going on and the higher the FOV the worse it gets.

Is it Bethesda's titles that are messed up? they tend to have a nasty fisheye effect going on and the higher the FOV the worse it gets.

Yep. FO4. I haven't tried Skyrim yet. (legendary edition.) That is EXACTLY the effect I was seeing. Is there a fix out there for that??